Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2015 7:44:36 PM EDT
Since when I posted this in another persons post it devolved into something else I figured maybe it needed a dedicated thread.

First things first please don't turn this into a my rights, or I will not comply thread. Keep on target or start your own. Please.

Assume we are modifying these magazines because they will carried in compliance with the new bullcrap laws. They are for a pistol that does not have 10 rounds mags that can be purchased off the shelf. And the modification must be defensibly permanent. Even though I would say that any of these methods can be undone with enough patience.  

I have never had mags pinned because I am picturing some dumbass driving a roll pin through the middle of the magazine wherever they feel that it will be appropriate. I am not a fan of this because won't it impede the movement of the magazine spring? What happens when it inevitable works loose will it bind up the magazine and induce malfunction.

Now I may be off on this. Is it pinned in a way that restricts the follower but not the spring? What's the deal.

I choose to block and epoxy. I can defend it as permanent and also still remove the modification should I absolutely need to strip clean it. It also does not interfere with the spring in any way.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
When I had my AK 10/30s done they installed those Russian wire mag blocks that wrap around the spring and they riveted the bottom. The biggest issue is the state never defined which method is considered "permanent" for mags to be limited to 10 rounds, until someone plays guenia pig noone will truley know.

I consider expoxy and a block on a plastic or other polymer type mag to be "permanent" for the most part because if done properly you can't undo it with out ruining the magazine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
You could buy a block from this place ---->click here

Metal magazines you could hit with a tiny tack weld. Plastic magazines put a dab of epoxy or super glue.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The only problem with the above is that you can't service your legally purchased property, and magazines require regular maintenance which includes dissasembly.
It would be like saying you have to permanently epoxy your upper and lower together in order to have an ar15.....well you would only have a working rifle for a few thousand rounds
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
One could whip up a blade style limiting device that sits inside the spring, and is epoxy'd to the follower. That's similar to how my factory 10 round xdm mags are. Can still disassemble them but the 10 round limiter is permentant.

Like the tube of a ball point pen, would work well, is easy to modify, and easy to glue.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One could whip up a blade style limiting device that sits inside the spring, and is epoxy'd to the follower. That's similar to how my factory 10 round xdm mags are. Can still disassemble them but the 10 round limiter is permentant.

Like the tube of a ball point pen, would work well, is easy to modify, and easy to glue.
View Quote

The only 10 round factory XDm magazines I've ever seen ar the 45 caliber. Are those what your talking about?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Since when I posted this in another persons post it devolved into something else I figured maybe it needed a dedicated thread.

First things first please don't turn this into a my rights, or I will not comply thread. Keep on target or start your own. Please.

Assume we are modifying these magazines because they will carried in compliance with the new bullcrap laws. They are for a pistol that does not have 10 rounds mags that can be purchased off the shelf. And the modification must be defensibly permanent. Even though I would say that any of these methods can be undone with enough patience.  

I have never had mags pinned because I am picturing some dumbass driving a roll pin through the middle of the magazine wherever they feel that it will be appropriate. I am not a fan of this because won't it impede the movement of the magazine spring? What happens when it inevitable works loose will it bind up the magazine and induce malfunction.

Now I may be off on this. Is it pinned in a way that restricts the follower but not the spring? What's the deal.

I choose to block and epoxy. I can defend it as permanent and also still remove the modification should I absolutely need to strip clean it. It also does not interfere with the spring in any way.
View Quote

Epoxy- why go to such extremes? No requirement by law to epoxy anything so why? I dont get it....
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem with all of these methods is one is modifying the magazine to do something it wasn't designed, as a standard capacity magazine, to do. In some cases its possible the magazine could fail to function properly or get stuck. Would suck to have the magazine fail at the worst possible time. Fucking politicians. OK semi rant off.

The use of any sort of a magazine block will almost inevitably involve pinning the base plate so it cannot be easily removed or disassembled. This potentially makes cleaning the magazine or repairing it difficult or impossible.

Other methods I've seen is riveting the magazine body so it stops the follower at 10 rounds or less. These methods seemed to work OK but I could see an instance, if the rivet was poor, the follower could be pushed beyond the rivet if the magazine body flexed or the rivet wasn't of sufficient thickness. The one magazine I've seen riveted was an AR magazine riveted on the ends so the rivets didn't interfere with the spring.

Another method that is used in one of the AR magazines I have (from Stag Arms) that turned a 10 round magazine it into a 5 round magazine was a spring base wrapped in a way that prevented the follower from allowing more than 5 rounds in the magazine. Looks like this:

I've wondered if something like that for a 30 round mag would be legal or if it doesn't meet the stupid nebulous state definition of "permanently altered".

Of course nothing in the law prevents someone from going outside of CT and buying a pallet load of magazines, pinning them to 10 rounds and bringing them back in.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
"Permanently modify" nutter...
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

In that case you should permanently modify all your guns by giving them to me or turning into the local PD so you don't have to worry.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I buy these http://www.hartatac.com/product-p/magpulg210-30-blk.htm

In my personal experience- I have never had a riveted mag malfunction. It is very dffernent than driving a roll pin through the entire body. My pistol mags using a block however do malfunction.

I will make my mags compliant with current law. I will not go to the ends of the earth to seal them like a bank vault. Same with intent to manufacture, with enough time you can build anything, like an auto tube machien gun in a few hours. I think a rivet is perfectly reasonable until they explicitly say otherwise.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
A rivet is perminit. Yea you can drill it out, but anything can be undone even epoxy if you are careful with a dremel.... It's up to the person to comply with such laws.  And they don't define anything that says a rivet is not acceptable, technically it's legal.. Same goes with 22lr stripped lowers. It's up to the person/owner of such item, to comply with current laws.

On that note, ruger bx25's can be riveted to 10rds, and pretty much any mag.  Take the spring out, load in 10, use a pencil or ruler or a device to put up inside the mag to the bottom of follower and mark the device, put the device you used on the outside of the mag, mark it again at the right spot, typically go a tiny bit lower to allow compression against the bolt when in the gun or for a dust cover. But not too much to where another round can be chambered. and remember, the mark you made is for the EDGE of the rivet, NOT the center. I wouldn't use a typical 1/8" rivet... 3/16 or 1/4 is strong enough to where it will last longer than a 1/8 obviously.  Touch of paint to match the mag, and whammy. Barely noticeable. But visible might be better to show a concerned individual that you are in fact abiding by the law.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then just turn em in! They are just as dangerous with 5 rounds as 10! Turn em in and find a new hobby that Malloy supports... Like welfare
You will be happier... It's easier to comply with and ... You get money from it!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
OP is specifically about PISTOL MAGAZINES FOR CARRY. Any monkey can rivet a rifle mag. Rifle mags are easy.

As far as I know you can't rivet a pistol mag and still load it into a magwell.

For carry meaning that if you were ever going to have a LEO check your mags it would be while carrying.

My epoxied mags, (and I'll post a picture when I get home from work.) But I put a thin bead of epoxy along the rear of the baseplate. So it could be undone with some heat, a sharp knife and maybe a new baseplate.

ETA:
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#14]
http://jesticearms.com/10-40-Gen-M3-Magpul-PMAG?search=10/40

10rds riveted, ready to be bought. And for the price, it's stupid not to buy one done
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In that case you should permanently modify all your guns by giving them to me or turning into the local PD so you don't have to worry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then just turn em in! They are just as dangerous with 5 rounds as 10! Turn em in and find a new hobby that Malloy supports... Like welfare
You will be happier... It's easier to comply with and ... You get money from it!

Over your dead body.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP is specifically about PISTOL MAGAZINES FOR CARRY. Any monkey can rivet a rifle mag. Rifle mags are easy.

For carry meaning that if you were ever going to have a LEO check your mags it would be while carrying.

My epoxied mags, (and I'll post a picture when I get home from work.) But I put a thin bead of epoxy along the rear of the baseplate. So it could be undone with some heat, a sharp knife and maybe a new baseplate.
View Quote

You can counter sink rivets...depending on thickness of magazine material.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thickness is a pistol magazine, 1/16?. Can you countersink a rivet in that? And not that glock crap. They make 10's.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#18]
There may be enough clearance if the face is filed down a little, or you can modify the mag well to accept the new mag if it is your absolute last option and are completely sure you NEED to carry such handgun.
With some creativity a blocker could be installed and riveted to the footplate.
For the most part they make 10rd mags for almost any handgun nowadays anyways..
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Over your dead body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Over your dead body.

Well you made a stupid thread so don't get butthurt when you get answers you don't like.  I'm actually serious, if you're this worried about mag laws just turn all your shit in and find a new hobby.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Over your dead body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Over your dead body.

Are you actually serious? this hobby ain't for you bro... Try coins
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#21]
why not just buy mags that only hold ten rounds? I don't get it!!!
Why you want to go full fucking stupid and epoxy them I will never understand! How bout Rc cars.... It's safer!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want to make a serious thread, name the pistol inwhich you must carry so we can help by searching for mags and or even help by coming up with ideas to help you in your shenanigans.

So let's not derail this one further.  It's up to you now, mister "hikes"
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For nutter

For Sardo

View Quote

I don't understand this?
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
In a carry piece that I owned prior to the new law I would use a standard magazine loaded with only 10 rounds.

If the carry piece was bought after the law I would buy a limited capacity (10 round) magazine. Not sure I would want to trust my life to a modified magazine.

For other guns, FDM. Just buy standard capacity mags and shoot away. The whole magazine thing is only an issue if the state takes inventory and compares it to you declaration on file.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#27]
A lot of the 10 rounder are limited by the stamping process. Beretta for example has a groove down the whole body. A SIG mag has a large dimple to stop the follower.

The rivet can't protrude so much as to catch the spring.

The better method would be to machine a follower with a spike on it so it bottoms out and won't interfere with the spring

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Sardo, this is always your response. "Why don't you just turn in all your guns". Must have heard it a dozen times from you to different people on different forums. No I won't be turning in anything... I'm pretty sure you stated before you rarely if ever carry... Forgive me if I have you confused with someone else.

Nutter, you seem very confused. Some pistols don't have 10 round mags. The law states permanently modified. It's not that hard.

JGreen, And the specific pistols that I own that would be suited for altered magazines are the XDm 9 (no 10's available) and the M&P 9 Fullsize (10's available but they have issues, feeding and dropping free) the type of pistol is rather irrelevant. But for you just consider any steel walled double stack modern pistol magazine.

The real reason for the whole post is to get some clarity on how you have all been so successfully just "pinning" magazines. As was originally stated... Tips, trick, pictures. I know that you can rivet a rifle mag. I get that you dont like the laws. Nobody likes the new laws!! Just focus on the pinning, blocking or otherwise "permanently" modifying pistol mags.

Thanks Andrapos
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Or epoxy the block to the follower so the floor plate is free to be removed
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A lot of the 10 rounder are limited by the stamping process. Beretta for example has a groove down the whole body. A SIG mag has a large dimple to stop the follower. The rivet can't protrude so much as to catch the spring.

The better method would be to machine a follower with a spike on it so it bottoms out and won't interfere with the spring

View Quote

The groove method is what Springfield did for the XD 9/40/45 and XDM 45 (actually same as XD mags, interchangeable only for 45 caliber) mags. And I've asked the company, but they don't seem interested in making grooved XDm 9/40 10 round mags.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm not really sure what those gifs are doing either, I just thought they fit this thread.

OP asked for information on how pinning worked, not whether or not you thought he was stupid for using epoxy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For nutter

For Sardo

I don't understand this?

I'm not really sure what those gifs are doing either, I just thought they fit this thread.

OP asked for information on how pinning worked, not whether or not you thought he was stupid for using epoxy.

So pinning is epoxy or .... Pinning is pinning !

A few well respected gunsmiths and 02/07's say no hi caps can come into this state period unless they are for exempted! State says hi caps can't be modified period so ..... What's the question here? According to some here...02/07's it can't be done lawfully!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:31:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The groove method is what Springfield did for the XD 9/40/45 and XDM 45 (actually same as XD mags, interchangeable only for 45 caliber) mags. And I've asked the company, but they don't seem interested in making grooved XDm 9/40 10 round mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of the 10 rounder are limited by the stamping process. Beretta for example has a groove down the whole body. A SIG mag has a large dimple to stop the follower. The rivet can't protrude so much as to catch the spring.

So then buy another gun.... Gee that wasn't hard!
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Smith uses the same mag a compact uses, in their full size with a longer plastic floorplate. Metal is the same size if I recall. I have had NO issues with compact mags.  And I've never heard of issues in which you are having.

They make a block that goes inside the spring for an xdm full size that limits to 10 rds. Epoxy or rivet to floorplate.

/thread
Edit: magazineblocks.com has everything you need and they sell epoxy.  M&P blocks are fixed to the follower, so epoxy it. Xdm rests on floorplate. Epoxy or roll pin it or rivet on the bottom. Or do it all so you can sleep better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Smith uses the same mag a compact uses, in their full size with a longer plastic floorplate. Metal is the same size if I recall. I have had NO issues with compact mags.  And I've never heard of issues in which you are having.

They make a block that goes inside the spring for an xdm full size that limits to 10 rds. Epoxy or rivet to floorplate.

/thread
Edit: magazineblocks.com has everything you need and they sell epoxy.  M&P blocks are fixed to the follower, so epoxy it. Xdm rests on floorplate. Epoxy or roll pin it or rivet on the bottom. Or do it all so you can sleep better.
View Quote

That is exactly how I do my magazines currently. I appreciate all your information. Still trying to get information on pinning. Pinning. Pinning. I've always just heard have your magazine pinned. And I'm just on familiar with that process. I am very familiar with blocking and epoxy. The question is pinning.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#35]
To explain the word "pin" in the gun community simply means to fix or restrict a magazine in any which way legally to hold 10rds. Or pin your stock any way from collapsing.  It is slang 90% of the time.  When people say pin they could be using slang for block as well. Unless otherwise noted.

Edit: I'm sure people registered more pistol mags than rifle mags. No data proves this but it's harder to fix a pistol mag to 10rds. And they would be able to carry such magazine with only 10 in it if registered.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Ya. Permidently modified........ Rivet.  

If it works in cali it's good for here.  No need for this thread.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:14:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The only 10 round factory XDm magazines I've ever seen ar the 45 caliber. Are those what your talking about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are indeed the ones I refer to. And I made an error, I meant to say blocked, not factory. My mistake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top