Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2015 4:37:18 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can find an auto ordnance Thompson long gun in the Hartford area?  
That's all
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine has a few for sale. I'll PM you.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone told me those were banned in CT a couple of decades ago.  No?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure about banned but have read they are garbage... Ymmv
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The "Auto-Ordnance Thompson type" were specifically banned by name in Sec 53.202a back in 1993. However, thanks to DESPP/SLFU's post June 18, 2013 reinterpretation (see here and here) of the preban statute (Sec 53-202m) they should be legal to buy/transfer, assuming the firearm was manufactured prior to September 13, 1994, which I assume they all are or at least the firearm the OP wants to buy. However there is also the following statute which also specifically mentions, among several other firearms, the "Auto-Ordnance Thompson type": Sec. 53-202n. Possession of specified assault weapon permitted under certain circumstances. Notice requirement. Unknown how this statute plays into the mix, if at all, since the preban statute (Sec 53-202m) only applies to Sec 53-202a through Sec 53-202l.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone know where I can find an auto ordnance Thompson long gun in the Hartford area?  
That's all
View Quote

Full auto or semi? To buy or play with? By "long gun" you mean 16"(?) barrel. I know someone with one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
jeff is right. meet up at metacon bending when they finish regrading or rockville with ya if u wanna try. never had any issues with it. runs great. hit up myself or jeff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, what kind of Thompson are you looking for?  Once Metacon opens back up you can shoot my WH 1928.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Mitz in Seymour had one. Not sure if it is still there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you pick on up?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, what kind of Thompson are you looking for?  Once Metacon opens back up you can shoot my WH 1928.
View Quote

1928? Does that mean its FA?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw Steve tonight, congrats Bender!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
How many preban Tommy guns are out there that aren't full auto?

Wouldn't the tricky part be finding on that was made before '94 that is semi-auto?

Otherwise either you'll pay a buttload for full auto or it's post-ban and you can't have it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:27:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How many preban Tommy guns are out there that aren't full auto?

Wouldn't the tricky part be finding on that was made before '94 that is semi-auto?

Otherwise either you'll pay a buttload for full auto or it's post-ban and you can't have it.
View Quote

By the sellers count of the one I just picked up; As far as pre 94 semi auto guns... Around 2000 auto ordnance 1927a1's, and 800 m1's.
They seem to be a little tough to find preban.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Based on some searching I did today, the numbers I posted above are way off.  A lot more than that were made between 1974-1994(and of course after), but not important to us.
But anyways, this is it.  1990 Auto Ordnance West Hurley 1927A1.  Of course this baby will be being SBR'd shortly.  And it'll end up looking like a 1928/M1 hybrid.  Thanks to Steve at Hop River Trading, hell of a guy, and johnismyname for the lead!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Based on some searching I did today, the numbers I posted above are way off.  A lot more than that were made between 1974-1994(and of course after), but not important to us.
But anyways, this is it.  1990 Auto Ordnance West Hurley 1927A1.  Of course this baby will be being SBR'd shortly.  And it'll end up looking like a 1928/M1 hybrid.  Thanks to Steve at Hop River Trading, hell of a guy, and johnismyname for the lead!

http://i60.tinypic.com/2iax3lv.jpg
View Quote

Looks clean.  Does that use sticks only or drums as well?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I just want you to know that I touched your gun last Saturday and it felt good.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean she's already been violated?!
I gave her a bath today.  Rubbed her down with some nice gun lotion

Conn....10 round drums and stick mags all day long!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've melosted it a few times as well, when I have picked up guns that Steve has transfered for me. those are beautiful guns, I wish I could pick one up but I have many other project ahead of one of those and I feel that they just don't look right without the drums
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've melosted it a few times as well, when I have picked up guns that Steve has transfered for me. those are beautiful guns, I wish I could pick one up but I have many other project ahead of one of those and I feel that they just don't look right without the drums
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This Thompson really gets around! haha
I just picked up a drum from auto ordnance though.  It's full size, but limited to 10 rounds. I don't mind, the drum is just for looks anyways.  But your right, the drum is a necessity, which is why I had to get it.  The gun was actually a turning 30 birthday/having a baby gift from my parents.  Yes I'm lucky.
I don't get all the complaints about the weight you read about in some of the forums.  I love the weight of this gun.  Feels like I'm holding something substantial.  And I just think about the men that carried these during wwii and Korea, and they didn't have a shooting bench to rest it on between mags
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice Thompson!  That's been on my bucket list since I was a kid.  I actually picked up a few 30 round mags back in the day hoping I could afford a NFA Thompson MG one day (and declared  registered them in 2013)

If anyone knows of other pre-ban semi auto Thompson's out there, please PM me!  What are they going for these days?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:22:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The "Auto-Ordnance Thompson type" were specifically banned by name in Sec 53.202a back in 1993. However, thanks to DESPP/SLFU's post June 18, 2013 reinterpretation (see here and here) of the preban statute (Sec 53-202m) they should be legal to buy/transfer, assuming the firearm was manufactured prior to September 13, 1994, which I assume they all are or at least the firearm the OP wants to buy. However there is also the following statute which also specifically mentions, among several other firearms, the "Auto-Ordnance Thompson type": Sec. 53-202n. Possession of specified assault weapon permitted under certain circumstances. Notice requirement. Unknown how this statute plays into the mix, if at all, since the preban statute (Sec 53-202m) only applies to Sec 53-202a through Sec 53-202l.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why can't you just give simple "yes" or "no" answers with just a sentence long explination at most?

Such as....

"New AWB made anything pre 94 legal, no more bame ban".
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:59:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why can't you just give simple "yes" or "no" answers with just a sentence long explination at most?

Such as....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Such as....

This is correct.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#26]
So I stripped it and cleaned it yesterday, and started thinking.....

Is grease on the sliding parts and oil on the rotating parts a good lube plan for the thompson?  I figured what I did with the garand should work with the thompson, but I have only read guys spraying rem oil in it, I cant find anything suggesting to use grease......Any tips?

I greased anywhere I can see wear on the metal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I have recently switched to grease and I LOVE it. I think grease where it slides and an extremely thin coat (of grease) where it rotates is a good method.

I have some great aero space grease right now. If you want some let me know.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have recently switched to grease and I LOVE it. I think grease where it slides and an extremely thin coat (of grease) where it rotates is a good method.

I have some great aero space grease right now. If you want some let me know.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer man, but yea that's what I'm using also.  Same stuff I use for ar barrel nuts too.  On the rotating parts and springs I still use hoppes #9 oil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top