Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2015 9:25:51 AM EDT
I've been pondering this and figured I'd ask before I check further:

http://sgworks.com/

The base rifle is an SKS that's simply refitted into another stock that you purchase from these fellas.  The SKS usually shoots 10 rounds out of a fixed mag but this one requires removable mags.  They are available with only 10 rounds.

Ya think it would it pass muster here in Konnectistan??

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The base rifle is an SKS that's simply refitted into another stock that you purchase from these fellas.  The SKS usually shoots 10 rounds out of a fixed mag but this one requires removable mags.  They are available with only 10 rounds.
View Quote

If it is a centerfire semiautomatic detachable magazine rifle it is subject tot he feature ban AND the under 30 inch in over all length ban. If the magazine is fixed, is ten rounds or less, and non detachable then its not subject to the feature ban but would still be subject to the under 30 inch ban for rifles.

The issue, if the overall length of the bullpup is over 30 inches in length, is if it has a detachable magazine is if the pistol grip is directly below the action of the weapon. The state defines action of the weapon as follows: "the part of the firearm that loads, fires and ejects a cartridge, which part includes, but is not limited to, the upper and lower receiver, charging handle, forward assist, magazine release and shell deflector". It doesn't appear the charging handle for that bullpup is forward of the pistol grip. If so then it might get past the pistol grip ban.

Edit to add: As Andrapos points out below. If preban its not subject to the AWB.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
That looks interesting. The finger and hand is not under the action. It is not listed on the bad boy list of guns. I think the overall length is the only issue but a muzzle break or flash hider will solve that.

Looks like a good solution for an SKS with a beat to shit stock or non matching numbers. I would not use a matching excellent condition collector piece.

Rome, you just cost me more money. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe all SKS are preban and therefore exempt from the AWB
View Quote

Yep. If the firearm is preban then its not subject to the feature ban or over all length ban.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#5]
How much does this thing cost.

I think I know what Im going to do with that SKS I got from you, Rome.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

$200 for the stock kit and $230 for stock kit with rail and magazine release lever.

EDIT: If overall length is not a concern then cut the barrel just behind the Bayonet mount and thread it for a flash hider. Use an EOtech, ACOG or red dot for an optic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

$200 for the stock kit and $230 for stock kit with rail and magazine release lever.

EDIT: If overall length is not a concern then cut the barrel just behind the Bayonet mount and thread it for a flash hider. Use an EOtech, ACOG or red dot for an optic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if I can keep the bayonet.

You know . . . incase I ever need it. . .
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, now, I didn't even think about the pre-ban status as it's an SKS after all.  Duh.

If you poke through the tabs, you'll find the FAQ which talks about length.  I guess the paratrooper model of the SKS would come up just a tad short of 30" so a muzzle thingy is attached to bring it up to snuff.  Other than that, your good to go.

I learned about this stock setup a few years ago and resisted the temptation to make one because I wanted to see if they would survive and build a track record. Seems as if they have. For the sum of about $250  you would end up with quite a unique rifle, something that no one else will have at your club (maybe!).  

As  for compliance they talk about 922R but I don't give two wits about that anymore.  And, while I too would respect a nice C&R model of the SKS at least there are no modifications necessary to the metal and it can easily be retrofitted back as all original.  An important fact.  I hate to see nice old collectibles get bastardized.  The SKS is no exception but as long as it's not being harmed I don't have an issue with it.  

So, I've been looking for a gun project that would be different.  I think I'm going to pursue this.  The company says I can leave the fixed mag in place so I guess there's a way to strip ammo in from the top as usual.  Finding some replacement 10 round AK style mags would be nice, too.

Rome
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Ha, found this as I was looking for independent reviews of this rifle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/365054_Shernic_Gun_Works_SKS_Bullpup.html
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, now, I didn't even think about the pre-ban status as it's an SKS after all.  Duh.

If you poke through the tabs, you'll find the FAQ which talks about length.  I guess the paratrooper model of the SKS would come up just a tad short of 30" so a muzzle thingy is attached to bring it up to snuff.  Other than that, your good to go.

I learned about this stock setup a few years ago and resisted the temptation to make one because I wanted to see if they would survive and build a track record. Seems as if they have. For the sum of about $250  you would end up with quite a unique rifle, something that no one else will have at your club (maybe!).  

As  for compliance they talk about 922R but I don't give two wits about that anymore.  And, while I too would respect a nice C&R model of the SKS at least there are no modifications necessary to the metal and it can easily be retrofitted back as all original.  An important fact.  I hate to see nice old collectibles get bastardized.  The SKS is no exception but as long as it's not being harmed I don't have an issue with it.  

So, I've been looking for a gun project that would be different.  I think I'm going to pursue this.  The company says I can leave the fixed mag in place so I guess there's a way to strip ammo in from the top as usual.  Finding some replacement 10 round AK style mags would be nice, too.

Rome
View Quote

ALL SKS are pre ban and exempt
SKS fixed mag is best mag!!!
next best is chinese "Star" 20 rd fixed mag! These got very expensive during the AWB
All detachable mags that are plastic or metal= SUCK
SKS that take ak mags are good as well!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I  know now that we can use the original 10 round SKS mag with this setup and the brass deflector is designed to open and allow for strippers.  Easiest solution.

Rome
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#12]
With imported firearms doesn't date of import factor into determining whether a gun is pre ban or not? All sks's were certainly manufactured before the federal aw ban, but many were imported after.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With imported firearms doesn't date of import factor into determining whether a gun is pre ban or not? All sks's were certainly manufactured before the federal aw ban, but many were imported after.
View Quote

Nope. At the state level the law (Sec. 52-202m) that defines "prebans" is clear. The firearm had to be "legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994".
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not for me but it does look interesting. If it accepts 20rd ak mags, I would think it accepts 30rd mags as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nope. At the state level the law (Sec. 52-202m) that defines "prebans" is clear. The firearm had to be "legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't realize that, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Those guys have been working on that sks stock for a while now.  I wonder if it is any good.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't the 88 or 89 ban stop import of these into the country?  Or at the very latest 94 ban did, no?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Didn't the 88 or 89 ban stop import of these into the country?  Or at the very latest 94 ban did, no?
View Quote

The Chinese ones I believe we're stopped by one of those bans.  Russian as well.  But the yugo kept coming.  But I think it does not matter much.  Weren't they all made before 94 anyways....
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#19]
My order went in today.  I'll report my progress WITH pics.  I've been looking around for a fun project.

Rome
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My order went in today.  I'll report my progress WITH pics.  I've been looking around for a fun project.

Rome
View Quote

I look forward to it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#21]
If I didn't have 2 LR308 builds in the works and want to buy or put together a 10/22 that will drive tacks I would jump on one.

I am going to keep my eye open for a bubba'd SKS. Ideally I would cut and thread the barrel just behind the bayonet mount. Then put either a flash hider or a mount for a suppressor on it.

I hate to ruin any nice gun. So I have to find one that is beat to shit or is bubba'd. There is a barreled receiver on Gunbroker. That would be good since someone else ruined it.

Rome I expect to see this in action.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I didn't have 2 LR308 builds in the works and want to buy or put together a 10/22 that will drive tacks I would jump on one.

I am going to keep my eye open for a bubba'd SKS. Ideally I would cut and thread the barrel just behind the bayonet mount. Then put either a flash hider or a mount for a suppressor on it.

I hate to ruin any nice gun. So I have to find one that is beat to shit or is bubba'd. There is a barreled receiver on Gunbroker. That would be good since someone else ruined it.

View Quote

Why would you want to suppress an sks? There are rifles that supress well and others that dont-
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why would you want to suppress an sks? There are rifles that supress well and others that dont-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

I am just thinking out loud. I am not one for taking mil-surp guns and cutting them up. So in reality I will probably do what Rome is doing. Although this project is a bit down the list.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#24]
OK then.  Off into the wild blue younder on this one.  

I can't believe I'm getting excited about repurposing an SKS!   It's got to be because of all that 762x39 ammo I've got stashed!

Rome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top