Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2014 10:09:36 PM EDT
I just read in another post that we can transfer stripped lowers.

True??  I sure would like to know before I spend a lot of money on a pre ban.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Where you get that info from?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I read it in another gun forum.  I think it was CTGUNTALK.com
Something about ATF form 4473.  If the FFL puts down "other" as firearms type they can do it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Only prebans can currently be transferred.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a thought the other day- maybe someone could weigh in for me.

If I bought an 80% lower - milled it out most of the way except as to leave a "floor" where the magwell would be, just so a mag could not be inserted - would that be ok?

In the event of massive civil unrest or some kind of worst case scenario war/invasion etc, it would be as simple as sawzalling the bottom 1/8" off to allow it to accept mags, but until then, it gives me an excuse to keep building uppers.

I was trying to think of a way to do that, and get a spring and follower in there so the magwell area could accept 3ish rounds to make a hunting configuration type legal AR . . .

What say you smart ones?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Something about ATF form 4473.  If the FFL puts down "other" as firearms type they can do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you talking about Madsmith's post over on CTGT? He's talking about 80% lowers which are basically a hunk of metal that you still have to do some milling on (or hole drilling) to make into a lower (stripped lower).

Like was said to your questions in the Lower Reciever Transfer thread yesterday, FFL's generally are not transferring post 9/13/94 manufactured "stripped lowers". If you want an 80% lower that you'll finish milling yourself then contact Madsmith at the Freedom Shoppe and they might be able to hook you up. The general reason why FFL's are not transferring the post ban stripped lowers is because the law is so convoluted no one knows for sure the legality (is it a centerfire or rimfire, etc) and no one wants to put their business and life on the line to transfer one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmmm
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You don't need an FFL to buy an 80% lower.
View Quote

Learn something new every day. Never bought one so don't (or didn't) know exactly what was involved if anything in buying one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weren't you getting a preban for $450?

Get that.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get that.
View Quote

listen to the frog
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought my complete EA J-15 FOR 500 bucks Delta did the transfer. No problems.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#15]
ianal

I think you can buy a long gun in another state, as long as you are legal in the purchasing state and also legal in your home state (ct).. And u can drive it home.  

For example - remington 700.  

So.... Go to NH and stop at highlander arms in spofford.   Buy a stripped lower for $100 no tax and just a few papers to fill out.

Bring it home and make:

Aids cannon

Straight pull (bolt action) AR

Pin a 10rd mag

Or 22lr rifle.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ianal

I think you can buy a long gun in another state, as long as you are legal in the purchasing state and also legal in your home state (ct).. And u can drive it home.  

For example - remington 700.  

So.... Go to NH and stop at highlander arms in spofford.   Buy a stripped lower for $100 no tax and just a few papers to fill out.
Bring it home and make:
Aids cannon
Straight pull (bolt action) AR
Pin a 10rd mag
Or 22lr rifle.  
View Quote

The long gun also has to be legal in your home state as well. Which means one cannot buy a run of the mill post 9/13/94 manufactured semiautomatic detachable magazine AR-15 rifle that just about anyone else can buy in a non ban state and then bring it home. Instead the out of state FFL/gun shop would have to make the long gun CT legal prior to selling/transferring it to the CT resident. Per the ATF:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Edit to add: While one may possibly be able to buy or have transferred to them a stripped lower outside of CT I wouldn't be surprised if the out of state FFL either refused to do the sale/transfer due to our confusing gun laws, or mandated they send it to a CT FFL and the transfer is made there so that FFL deals with the confusing CT gun laws.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Get that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get that.

I sure am now.  LOL

You know you read something somewhere and you hope there is some truth to it.  I just wanted to double check with you guys again before I closed on the pre ban.

I hope to close on that by the end of the week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top