Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2014 8:18:26 PM EDT
Hypothetically.…What does one do if they notice the FFL put the incorrect firearm serial number on the DPS-3C form after the fact?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:58:58 AM EDT
[#1]
File off the serial number on the firearm and put the one from the form on the firearm.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:05:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would take it back to Riverview.
View Quote

Thats Funny.I Had to take mine back there one time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Couldn't one just call the store back and then they could write the correct number on their copy before they file it?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#6]
notify the FFL of the mistake. What I've seen is a duplicate of the original DPS-3 form made, "corrected copy" written on upper right hand corner with a line through the incorrect serial number and the correct one written above it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
notify the FFL of the mistake. What I've seen is a duplicate of the original DPS-3 form made, "corrected copy" written on upper right hand corner with a line through the incorrect serial number and the correct one written above it.
View Quote

Good to know in the event that such thing would ever happen.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

You guys are all conditioned to think in terms of guns needing "paperwork" to accompany and trace their transfers.  That is registration my friends.

You own the gun legally, why complicate matters?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

You guys are all conditioned to think in terms of guns needing "paperwork" to accompany and trace their transfers.  That is registration my friends.

You own the gun legally, why complicate matters?
View Quote

Depends on how much you care if a few guys in suits knock on your door.

Friend got such a visit as a forward trace was done and the dyslexic dealer had reversed the last 2 digits and sent the men in suits to the wrong person.  This was eventually straightened out at the gun shop with enough record searching but it cost time and unneeded arrgggs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Somebody told me that when this happened to them they just called their FFL where they bought it.   Since they didn't send in the form yet they just made the change.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I am with Matt. Who cares?

However if it is a new gun and for some reason you ever need to explain how and where you got this gun you could be screwed. What if a gun with the serial number on the form ends up used in a crime? You may have some explaining to do.

Lastly the FFL could be in serious trouble and we need all the gun stores we can get. Even if their parking sucks. So if it were me I would call the FFL and let them straighten it out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rough but +1 funny
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
File off the serial number on the firearm and put the one from the form on the firearm.
View Quote

I liked this one too!  I definitely wouldn't recommend it though.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hypothetically.…What does one do if they notice the FFL put the incorrect firearm serial number on the DPS-3C form after the fact?
View Quote

First thing is to hide your dog.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#16]
It happened to me years ago by NGX.
When I got home I was reviewing the paperwork before I put the new blaster away. They had 1 letter in the SN incorrect. I called them and told them of the error. They put me on hold, then said you don't need to come back to the store to re-do the paperwork, I will straighten it out on my end.

See, NOT a Hoffman post!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:45:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll throw Hoffmans under the bus! Several years ago I bought a couple of stripped lower receivers at Hoffmans. The serial numbers were correct, but the salesman reversed my place of birth and my residence. They must file the DPS 3C forms electronically, because when the forms were printed, they clearly state in the top lefthand corner" registration failed! This gun is not yet registered!". The salesman put the paperwork in the bag with the receivers and I didn't notice the mistake until last fall when i filled out the new registration forms. Last spring I renewed my permit in Middletown. The DPS insisted that I lived in Milford, the town of my birth even though I had plenty of paperwork that said differently.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top