Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2014 9:31:48 AM EDT
Recently in another thread it was mentioned that some people have a bail out, bug out or whatever you want to call it bag for critical situations.  While I hope and pray for zombies, I'm not much of an end of the world guy.  If I had to guess, I'd go with civil unrest in the form of the gap between the haves and have-nots hitting critical mass when funds for numerous freebees come to a sudden end.  (A really good example of how quickly this can occur would be the EBT system in a Wal Mart in Louisiana that went off line for an hour and the subsequent attempted looting of the store before the system rebooted)  Anyhow, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

As our laws have changed, the bags in my vehicle have changed.  I always ran with two and I still do.  One is a large Eagle E&E bag made for helicopter crews that stays in my truck all the time.  This has medical supplies for both boo-boos and serious leakages of important things like blood.  I have and you should take the time to take a basic first aid course of some sort.  Having the stuff is cool.  Being able to use the stuff correctly is...well...cooler.  You can get pre stocked blow out kits in quite a few places if you don't want to put one together yourself.

The bag also has tools, a Victorinox survival kit with the largest Swiss Army knife I have ever seen, and my favorite, an HK flare gun with a bunch of parachute flares.  It's my "hey, I'm over here" tool.

Because of my job, I have to go through a bunch of hoops to have a carry weapon with me during work hours.  I have an OSOE E&E bag in civilian friendly foliage green that I use to help me out.  Off hours and on the weekends is no problem.

I USED to carry an HK USP LE 9mm with a jet funnel and 18rd mags.   We know what happened to that plan.  However, I did incorporate it into my new bail out bag.

The pics to follow are of an OSOE Bolt Bag.  John makes these to order and you can configure the external pouches and interior any way you want.  I purchased this one from a friend who made it for his needs.  His needs involved grenades but other than those pouches I adopted the bag to my needs.  If you are a gear queer, you know OSOE. While there are lots of good gear makers out there today like First Spear, Tyr and BFG, just about everything I have is OSOE.  Absolutely bombproof and highly recommended.

This bag sits home and is readily accessible.  If I ever had to take this bag out of the home and to the truck, it's a good sign that laws aren't really in play as I see smoke coming from downtown Hartford.  Something BAD has happened like the civil unrest I mentioned, zombies or, God forbid, another Red Sox World Series title.

The bag has the following:

-HK USP LE 9mm
-6 18rd mags (Win Ranger SXT 124gr +p+)
-2 31rd mags (Federal 124gr Truncated Cone +p+)
-4 30rd P-Mags (Mk 262 Mod 0 77gr)
-1 SF 60rd mag (M855 62gr)
- Strider DB-L NSN
-TR Blow Out Kit
-HK multitool
-HK USP MkII pistol light
-Horseshoe leather holster for USP with double mag pouch
-Vector Hawks custom tomahawk (A very persuasive and useful tool)

Just add carbine and go.

If anybody else has a set up, post 'em up.  Critiques, ideas are welcome.  It's the best way to learn.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Recently in another thread it was mentioned that some people have a bail out, bug out or whatever you want to call it bag for critical situations.  While I hope and pray for zombies, I'm not much of an end of the world guy.  If I had to guess, I'd go with civil unrest in the form of the gap between the haves and have-nots hitting critical mass when funds for numerous freebees come to a sudden end.  (A really good example of how quickly this can occur would be the EBT system in a Wal Mart in Louisiana that went off line for an hour and the subsequent attempted looting of the store before the system rebooted)  Anyhow, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

As our laws have changed, the bags in my vehicle have changed.  I always ran with two and I still do.  One is a large Eagle E&E bag made for helicopter crews that stays in my truck all the time.  This has medical supplies for both boo-boos and serious leakages of important things like blood.  I have and you should take the time to take a basic first aid course of some sort.  Having the stuff is cool.  Being able to use the stuff correctly is...well...cooler.  You can get pre stocked blow out kits in quite a few places if you don't want to put one together yourself.

The bag also has tools, a Victorinox survival kit with the largest Swiss Army knife I have ever seen, and my favorite, an HK flare gun with a bunch of parachute flares.  It's my "hey, I'm over here" tool.

Because of my job, I have to go through a bunch of hoops to have a carry weapon with me during work hours.  I have an OSOE E&E bag in civilian friendly foliage green that I use to help me out.  Off hours and on the weekends is no problem.

I USED to carry an HK USP LE 9mm with a jet funnel and 18rd mags.   We know what happened to that plan.  However, I did incorporate it into my new bail out bag.

The pics to follow are of an OSOE Bolt Bag.  John makes these to order and you can configure the external pouches and interior any way you want.  I purchased this one from a friend who made it for his needs.  His needs involved grenades but other than those pouches I adopted the bag to my needs.  If you are a gear queer, you know OSOE. While there are lots of good gear makers out there today like First Spear, Tyr and BFG, just about everything I have is OSOE.  Absolutely bombproof and highly recommended.

This bag sits home and is readily accessible.  If I ever had to take this bag out of the home and to the truck, it's a good sign that laws aren't really in play as I see smoke coming from downtown Hartford.  Something BAD has happened like the civil unrest I mentioned, zombies or, God forbid, another Red Sox World Series title.

-HK USP LE 9mm
- Strider DB-L NSN
-TR Blow Out Kit
-HK multitool

Just add carbine and go.

If anybody else has a set up, post 'em up.  Critiques, ideas are welcome.  It's the best way to learn.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_120642_zpsb9a1d9b8.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_120759_zps27bacb7a.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_120830_zpsc69d604f.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_120935_zpsea85562f.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_121006_zps01c0c170.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_121157_zps2af73d40.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_121804_zpsd2f0e9df.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_122104_zpscd49d95c.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_122849_zpsec2fe6de.jpg
View Quote

no snacks for the road?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a good mutitool
Ditch the tomahawk
Get a good large fixed blade knife
Get a better option for pistol holster; you want to be able to walk out the door, not take your belt off and put a holster on. Over belt lock style or have it attached to a piece of gear- web, war belt, etc
Ditch the 60 rounder
Flashlight with spare batteries
No water, shelter, food, fire making or breathing protection (even an n95 is better than nothing and weighs almost zero)?
Comms?  GPS?  BA?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

no snacks for the road?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-HK USP LE 9mm
- Strider DB-L NSN
-TR Blow Out Kit
-HK multitool

Just add carbine and go.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_120642_zpsb9a1d9b8.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_120759_zps27bacb7a.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_120830_zpsc69d604f.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_120935_zpsea85562f.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_121006_zps01c0c170.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_121157_zps2af73d40.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_121804_zpsd2f0e9df.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_122104_zpscd49d95c.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/20140124_122849_zpsec2fe6de.jpg

no snacks for the road?

Cheetos (crunchy of course)
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get a good mutitool

The HK is a quality multi tool

Ditch the tomahawk

Never !

How much bigger than a DB-L?

Get a better option for pistol holster; you want to be able to walk out the door, not take your belt off and put a holster on. Over belt lock style or have it attached to a piece of gear- web, war belt, etc

Other holster is on my plate carrier which obviously doesn't fit in the bag so I hear you.

Ditch the 60 rounder

For more 30s?

Definitely. Truck has a SF Fury P2X with modded grip and bored out to take rechargeable batteries in the console

No water, shelter, food, fire making or breathing protection (even an n95 is better than nothing and weighs almost zero)?

Water, yes.  Blankets, yes, fire making yes, snaky-snacks, yes, breathing and shelter, no

Comms?  GPS?  BA?

Comms, yes, GPS, yes, what's BA? If extra batteries, then yes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I also have a GHB, let me get some pics going and I'll post up too...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Who makes your holster?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Who makes your holster?
View Quote

Andy Artoonian of Horseshoe Leathers in England.  One man shop.  I hate kydex and he makes the best leather holsters out there IMHO.  Total gentleman to deal with.  10-12 month wait right now.  You do not pay until it's done.  The holster and double mag above are about $190 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Andy Artoonian of Horseshoe Leathers in England.  One man shop.  I hate kydex and he makes the best leather holsters out there IMHO.  Total gentleman to deal with.  10-12 month wait right now.  You do not pay until it's done.  The holster and double mag above are about $190 shipped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who makes your holster?

A bit expensive...I like the fact that it doesn't appear to have much of a cant to it.  I have been looking for one that is pretty much straight or 0 degree cant and also rides high.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A bit expensive...I like the fact that it doesn't appear to have much of a cant to it.  I have been looking for one that is pretty much straight or 0 degree cant and also rides high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who makes your holster?

You are correct.  His holsters have a touch of cant and they do ride high.  The mag pouch can have the mags with forward rake or straight up.  And yes, he's not inexpensive but that includes the necessary shipping and customs costs from England.  I can promise you the quality makes it very much worth it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#10]
With the restrictions on high cap mags, I don't think too many people are going to share their oh shit kits.

But I agree.  Katrina is the benchmark.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I would like some opinions on some decent bags. I really need to put one together.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With the restrictions on high cap mags, I don't think too many people are going to share their oh shit kits.

But I agree.  Katrina is the benchmark.
View Quote

Well my mags are all registered and like I said, if an event of such proportions as we have talked about actually occurs (please zombies...please), obeying laws might be on the lower end of the list of things you are worrying about.  However, If your current bag contains unregistered/registered but filled past 10rds mags and God knows what else, that's a personal choice and that's on you.  But I understand your point.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

-HK USP LE 9mm
- Strider DB-L NSN
-TR Blow Out Kit
-HK multitool

Just add carbine and go.

View Quote

They make a sub-caliber insert for the 26.5mm flare launcher that allows it to shoot .410 or .45LC, and another sub-caliber insert that allows it to shoot .22lr.  It would be a close range firearm (no sights and really short barrel), but it makes the 26.5mm flare launcher a little more versatile.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for the huge pictures guys. Don't know how to change that.

Anyway, here is my "Get home bag", it comes in at 32 pounds, I keep a lot of shit in there I will probably never need, but I feel like its better to have it , than need it and not. The only thing not pictured is a portable CB that I keep in my truck. I do walk with this bag frequently, the longest trek I have done in one stretch was 9 miles. I was pretty sore after that, but it felt good to do it. In good weather, I will do 4-5 miles with it twice a week. Not the ideal conditioning schedule, but it helps. I also keep some cold weather gear (small blanket, winter gloves, knit hat) in my truck in the winter months, that will go too, if the need arose.

I carry a G19 daily with 2 spare mags, so hopefully that will be enough, probably ought to get a few spare 10 rounders and throw them in the bag too.

If you must laugh, just tell me your laughing with me and not at me!

FLAME ON!

2 disposable ponchos
1 roll TP
10 pack Kleenex
3 pair boxers
3 pair socks
1 pair work gloves (need to change these to leather gloves)

1 100 count box Federal 9mm ball ammo
1 container misc fishing gear
1 container misc nails and hooks
1 container with $5.00 in quarters

1 container of 25 cotton balls with Vaseline (awesome fire starter)
1 Bic lighter
1 package of 40 waterproof matches
1 pair spare glasses
4 spare AA batteries
2 Disposable razors
Pens and pencils
1 Notebook
1 spool fishing line
1 bar soap
1 led flashlight
2 nips of Smirnoff

1 folding camp saw
1 bag misc wire nuts, clips and adaptors
1 multi screwdriver
1 chisel
1 fixed blade knife
1 hammer
1 cats paw
2 light sticks
1 padlock
1 roll electrical tape
1 multi-tool
1 pocket knife

1 aluminum mess kit
1 hobo tool
1 cravat
1 canteen (empty)
Ibuprofen tablets
Tums
Cough drops
Advil cold and sinus
Anti diahreah tablets
1 Krazy glue
1 dental floss

1 US GI IFAK
    1 4.5 x 4' gauze
    1 pair gloves
    1 Israeli combat dressing
    1 Gerber multi tool
    1 trauma shears
    1 nasopharengeal airway
    1 roll tape
    1 decontamination kit
2 facemasks
4 pair gloves
assorted band aids

1 8x10 camo tarp
3 6' bundles 12 ga wire
zipties
225' masons line

3 MRE's with heaters
2 survival rations
4 bottles of water (semi frozen, but haven't burst yet!)

And here it is all packed away. I have an extra bag on the outside for items of opportunity or to ditch the larger bag to move quicker.

Overall, I would like to lose some of the weight. We'll see, maybe this summer plan an extended excursion and see what works and what is just dead weight.

Things to add:
Maps
Compass
Belt, holster, mag holders
Water purification tablets

Anything else?

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm down with the Tomahark. Pretty usefull for 'opening'  window etc.

Throw a space blanket or one of those tube tents in there.
Paracord is a must.
Don't forget pain killers, non narcotic.

This has always been a cool project got me  ,

Good start Conn.

I have 3 small backpacks with knives, flint and steel, first aid kit.
Fire starter: cotton balls with either Chapstick or Vastline on them.
I have also had great success with drier lint.
Practice with these and the flint.

There is a SEAL surgical kit available that sets you up for minor surgery and dental work.

Bag of chronic, a ball of aluminum foil and a flask of Tito's
Kidding about the chronic.

Not worried about mag cap in a bug out sitch.

AA flashlight. CR123 don't last very long and could be hard to find.
Crazy glue for quick sutures.
Cyalum sticks
Small hurricane type candle
Small magnifying glass to help with fire starting.

Maybe a small pair of binos or a monocular.

Guitar string. They have a steel ring on the end that makes them perfect for a snare.

I know it's a lot of stuff but sculpt your gear to the situation. I am also getting into survival stuff.

I gotta get on this. I do have a battle belt in progress. But I gotta get the bag up to par and upgrade my first aid gear.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a good mutitool

Ditch the tomahawk

Never !

Other holster is on my plate carrier which obviously doesn't fit in the bag so I hear you.

Ditch the 60 rounder

For more 30s?

Definitely. Truck has a SF Fury P2X with modded grip and bored out to take rechargeable batteries in the console

Water, yes.  Blankets, yes, fire making yes, snaky-snacks, yes, breathing and shelter, no

Comms?  GPS?  BA?

Glock makes a wonderful and inexpensive fixed blade
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sorry for the huge pictures guys. Don't know how to change that.

Anyway, here is my "Get home bag", it comes in at 32 pounds, I keep a lot of shit in there I will probably never need, but I feel like its better to have it , than need it and not. The only thing not pictured is a portable CB that I keep in my truck. I do walk with this bag frequently, the longest trek I have done in one stretch was 9 miles. I was pretty sore after that, but it felt good to do it. In good weather, I will do 4-5 miles with it twice a week. Not the ideal conditioning schedule, but it helps. I also keep some cold weather gear (small blanket, winter gloves, knit hat) in my truck in the winter months, that will go too, if the need arose.

I carry a G19 daily with 2 spare mags, so hopefully that will be enough, probably ought to get a few spare 10 rounders and throw them in the bag too.

If you must laugh, just tell me your laughing with me and not at me!

FLAME ON!

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1892_zps39093f4e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1892_zps39093f4e.jpg</a>

2 disposable ponchos
1 roll TP
10 pack Kleenex
3 pair boxers
3 pair socks
1 pair work gloves (need to change these to leather gloves)

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1890_zpsbf418325.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1890_zpsbf418325.jpg</a>

1 100 count box Federal 9mm ball ammo
1 container misc fishing gear
1 container misc nails and hooks
1 container with $5.00 in quarters

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1889_zps8aa8ec2d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1889_zps8aa8ec2d.jpg</a>

1 container of 25 cotton balls with Vaseline (awesome fire starter)
1 Bic lighter
1 package of 40 waterproof matches
1 pair spare glasses
4 spare AA batteries
2 Disposable razors
Pens and pencils
1 Notebook
1 spool fishing line
1 bar soap
1 led flashlight
2 nips of Smirnoff

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1888_zps8e0dd161.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1888_zps8e0dd161.jpg</a>

1 folding camp saw
1 bag misc wire nuts, clips and adaptors
1 multi screwdriver
1 chisel
1 fixed blade knife
1 hammer
1 cats paw
2 light sticks
1 padlock
1 roll electrical tape
1 multi-tool
1 pocket knife

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1887_zpse53424a1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1887_zpse53424a1.jpg</a>

1 aluminum mess kit
1 hobo tool
1 cravat
1 canteen (empty)
Ibuprofen tablets
Tums
Cough drops
Advil cold and sinus
Anti diahreah tablets
1 Krazy glue
1 dental floss

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1886_zpsf1d5a124.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1886_zpsf1d5a124.jpg</a>

1 US GI IFAK
    1 4.5 x 4' gauze
    1 pair gloves
    1 Israeli combat dressing
    1 Gerber multi tool
    1 trauma shears
    1 nasopharengeal airway
    1 roll tape
    1 decontamination kit
2 facemasks
4 pair gloves
assorted band aids

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1885_zpsc54111b1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1885_zpsc54111b1.jpg</a>

1 8x10 camo tarp
3 6' bundles 12 ga wire
zipties
225' masons line

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1884_zps6f10de63.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1884_zps6f10de63.jpg</a>

3 MRE's with heaters
2 survival rations
4 bottles of water (semi frozen, but haven't burst yet!)

<a href="http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/cjt1972b/media/100_1895_zps478ee96b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/cjt1972b/100_1895_zps478ee96b.jpg</a>

And here it is all packed away. I have an extra bag on the outside for items of opportunity or to ditch the larger bag to move quicker.

Overall, I would like to lose some of the weight. We'll see, maybe this summer plan an extended excursion and see what works and what is just dead weight.

Things to add:
Maps
Compass
Belt, holster, mag holders
Water purification tablets

Anything else?

View Quote

The one thing I don't see which I consider almost as important as my guns is antibiotics... especially for bacterial infections.  You can order them from some of the Canadian pharmacies if your doc wont write you a script.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a good mutitool

Ditch the tomahawk

Never !

Ditch the 60 rounder

For more 30s?

Comms?  GPS?  BA?

Stop now. Omg.

ESEE 3
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a good mutitool

Ditch the tomahawk

Never !

Ditch the 60 rounder

For more 30s?

Comms?  GPS?  BA?

Yeah, and they also made injection molded mess kits.  They should have stuck with that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I first thought this thread was about tea bagging

What a let down when I showed up

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Wasnt gonna post this....I really didn't want to go all gear whore on you guys but fuck it..

First the bag....that's a IGA Bag15. Not the most tactical bag out there but it works and if it doesn't I have a shit ton more. Also depending on load out I can double bag it. I have to thank Betsy from the checkout for that bit of info.
Glock 19,with spare mag
Stainless fixed blade
Multi tool...really is more compact than the pic shows
Some caps
Lint roller...who knows who will show up, dont need a linty coat
Some rations...love me some ketchup...boulion cubes, and apple sauce
My m16 lighter. Not sure it works any more. Can be used to scare people
Paracord
Bouncy bal
Large ass nut and washer.
Air wick....let's face it we only like the smell of our own farts
Pepto....I get the shits easily
Jergens, well I may be alone and separated from my group
Hand sanitizer...see above.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Why a wood chisel?

Hammer and claw I get but don't understand. But chisel I'm lost.

Personally I go light

My bag is really boring.  Mostly extra clothes for winter. Extra glasses and contacts. Some basic survival gear.  Jar of pb few pouches of milk powder and some instant coffee.  

Winter I keep a mummy bag and wool blanket with some giant plastic bags all rolled up. Sumer just the bags.  

As far as med gear.  Gause. Tape.  moleskin. Summer gets deet and sunblock.  Some minor otc meds

No firearm.  
Leatherman and a esee 4.  Also folding saw

My bag is a cloth. Diaper bag I got at goodwill for a buck. Used it for both kids too

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a good mutitool

Ditch the tomahawk

Never !

Ditch the 60 rounder

For more 30s?yes

Definitely. Truck has a SF Fury P2X with modded grip and bored out to take rechargeable batteries in the consolewho says you will be in the truck?  Lights are cheap and bright nowadays. Get an 2cell AA powered led light and some spare lithium bats

Comms?  GPS?  BA?

Comms, yes, GPS, yes, what's BA? body armor. Sounds like you have plates in the plate carrier mentioned. This line is kinda optional thingsIf extra batteries, then yes.

Look man, I don't get what this is for
You don't put anything in this bag that I wouldn't put on a chest rig and belt, except that stupid tomahawk. That has no place except a wall.  This bag is basically a "go shoot 'em up" bag, not a bail out bag, although the way you talk about it sounds like its a bug out and never come home bag, which it isn't either.

I suggest you switch over to war gear on plate carrier/chest rig/belt and put second line gear in a real pack. I mean, how useful is a magazine on your back?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:01:06 AM EDT
[#24]
. Thread is awesome

I have a loaded 3-day pack

It wouldn't raise any suspicion or make me a target of LE/Nat Guard or zombies in a SHTF situation.   I have some BA too but would keep it all on the DL.    Even the most prepRed and highly trained knucklehead isn't going to survive engaging in multiple gunfights.

My plans for firearms in such situations are more like for highway banditry or neighborhood defense than anything else.  Plates and headgear are easy to get on if the shit comes to your neighborhood.

Conndjc does have some nice kit there though.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:01:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
. Thread is awesome

I have a loaded 3-day pack

It wouldn't raise any suspicion or make me a target of LE/Nat Guard or zombies in a SHTF situation.   I have some BA too but would keep it all on the DL.    Even the most prepRed and highly trained knucklehead isn't going to survive engaging in multiple gunfights.

My plans for firearms in such situations are more like for highway banditry or neighborhood defense than anything else.  Plates and headgear are easy to get on if the shit comes to your neighborhood.

Conndjc does have some nice kit there though.
View Quote

Matt I agree with your plans. Mine is to be prepped for some crazy bullshit like an extended power outage or other loss of services. There is no way I can take on a military unit and survive. I don't have the resources, training, and equipment. The chances of all out civil war vs. some assholes trying to loot the neighborhood because power is out, roads are blocked and stores are closed or picked over is much greater. I real stepped up my game after the October snowstorm. It was near impossible to get out of town because of all the trees down across the road. Gasoline and diesel was not available locally. I was driving a diesel car then and could not find fuel within 10 miles of my house. After hurricane Sandy hit I was not able to go to Long Island for my job because fuel was not available for returning home. If something like these last more than a week I am sure people would start looting and breaking into houses.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Matt I agree with your plans. Mine is to be prepped for some crazy bullshit like an extended power outage or other loss of services. There is no way I can take on a military unit and survive. I don't have the resources, training, and equipment. The chances of all out civil war vs. some assholes trying to loot the neighborhood because power is out, roads are blocked and stores are closed or picked over is much greater. I real stepped up my game after the October snowstorm. It was near impossible to get out of town because of all the trees down across the road. Gasoline and diesel was not available locally. I was driving a diesel car then and could not find fuel within 10 miles of my house. After hurricane Sandy hit I was not able to go to Long Island for my job because fuel was not available for returning home. If something like these last more than a week I am sure people would start looting and breaking into houses.
View Quote

The above post is exactly right.

We don't have many reasons to "Bug Out" here in Connecticut. Single bug out bags are only important for those with no immediate ties. Most of us have more reasons to stay and defend our homes and families when the shit hits the fan. But as far as natural disasters go, all we really have to worry about are nuclear threats from an attack on New York or a local power plant.

As far as zombies go... We'r already living that fucking nightmare! Connecticut's the liberal capital of the planet. We're SURROUNDED by zombies. And there's only one way to get rid of a zombie.

Unless you're single, renting a house or apartment or you're here for short term residency... Most of us would be more concerned with putting together a "Get Home Bag", rather than bugging out.

At home... Food and water storage is top of the list of priorities. Communications, fuel, power, water filtration, medication, self defense, warming/cooling yourself, etc are all secondary, but soon become just as important, depending on the length of crisis. Always keep your wife and kids in mind and not just your own needs. Keeping a strong mental focus is what's most important to them. YOU'RE their support.

You should set yourself up for at least a month of food and water for you and every member of your family. Don't forget the pets.

What *I* see happening here in Connecticut, is civil unrest, more than anything, as is mentioned in the original post. We WOULD have a problem with our immediate next door neighbors, more than anything. We'll also see a revolt against our government, before we see a tornado, hurricane, earthquake, etc. If a false flag event happens in the nuclear arena, it'll likely happen down South. There's too much money and "democracy" in the Northeast for our government to nuke it. Our government can't survive without support, so California and the Northeast are safe from that.

You have to weigh whether you'll stay and protect what you've got or get out of Dodge when and f the streets turn to shit. You also have to guess how long it'll be before things go back to "normal". And you can only use your own common sense and word of mouth from those you may know in the right areas, how long that'll be.

If you DO need to leave the area, for whatever reasons you have, you need to first formulate a plan. Where are you going to. How are you getting there. What routes are you taking. Do you have anyone who can help you get out if the roads are closed. Do you have contacts with anyone in CERT or Homeland Security. Can you flash credentials to get out.

If you know the answers to those things, THEN build yourself a bug out bag. And you'll of course HAVE TO do one for each member of the household, including pets. Or ditch the gerbil or cat. Or bring them as a snack.

And to the original poster... That's not a bug out bag. That's an "hour at the range bag"!

Add some food, water filtration, cash, a stainless steel wide mouth container (no plastic), med kit, medications if you need, a fixed blade knife, compass, rain cover, a couple survival blankets, copies of all major credit cards and IDs and banking info kept on a flash drive in case you loose your cash or wallet. Also add a whistle, firestarter, compact stove, flashlight, radio communication, a hat, extra pair of socks and whatever else you'd need if the banks weren't giving you access to your bank account. You can't rely on your credit/debit card when the power's out.

Always base things on electricity. If that's gone, your credit card isn't worth shit.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Wasnt gonna post this....I really didn't want to go all gear whore on you guys but fuck it..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/got_guns/bugoutbag_zpsqnck6ifq.jpg

First the bag....that's a IGA Bag15. Not the most tactical bag out there but it works and if it doesn't I have a shit ton more. Also depending on load out I can double bag it. I have to thank Betsy from the checkout for that bit of info.

Glock 19,with spare mag

Stainless fixed blade

Multi tool...really is more compact than the pic shows

Some caps

Lint roller...who knows who will show up, dont need a linty coat

Some rations...love me some ketchup...boulion cubes, and apple sauce

My m16 lighter. Not sure it works any more. Can be used to scare people

Paracord

Bouncy bal

Large ass nut and washer.

Air wick....let's face it we only like the smell of our own farts

Pepto....I get the shits easily

Jergens, well I may be alone and separated from my group

Hand sanitizer...see above.
View Quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

Priceless!!!

Is that your picture or did you snag it from the internet?

The taped together multitool is brilliant.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We don't have many reasons to "Bug Out" here in Connecticut. Single bug out bags are only important for those with no immediate ties. Most of us have more reasons to stay and defend our homes and families when the shit hits the fan. But as far as natural disasters go, all we really have to worry about are nuclear threats from an attack on New York or a local power plant.

As far as zombies go... We'r already living that fucking nightmare! Connecticut's the liberal capital of the planet. We're SURROUNDED by zombies. And there's only one way to get rid of a zombie.

Unless you're single, renting a house or apartment or you're here for short term residency... Most of us would be more concerned with putting together a "Get Home Bag", rather than bugging out.

At home... Food and water storage is top of the list of priorities. Communications, fuel, power, water filtration, medication, self defense, warming/cooling yourself, etc are all secondary, but soon become just as important, depending on the length of crisis. Always keep your wife and kids in mind and not just your own needs. Keeping a strong mental focus is what's most important to them. YOU'RE their support.

You should set yourself up for at least a month of food and water for you and every member of your family. Don't forget the pets.

What *I* see happening here in Connecticut, is civil unrest, more than anything, as is mentioned in the original post. We WOULD have a problem with our immediate next door neighbors, more than anything. We'll also see a revolt against our government, before we see a tornado, hurricane, earthquake, etc. If a false flag event happens in the nuclear arena, it'll likely happen down South. There's too much money and "democracy" in the Northeast for our government to nuke it. Our government can't survive without support, so California and the Northeast are safe from that.

You have to weigh whether you'll stay and protect what you've got or get out of Dodge when and f the streets turn to shit. You also have to guess how long it'll be before things go back to "normal". And you can only use your own common sense and word of mouth from those you may know in the right areas, how long that'll be.

If you DO need to leave the area, for whatever reasons you have, you need to first formulate a plan. Where are you going to. How are you getting there. What routes are you taking. Do you have anyone who can help you get out if the roads are closed. Do you have contacts with anyone in CERT or Homeland Security. Can you flash credentials to get out.

If you know the answers to those things, THEN build yourself a bug out bag. And you'll of course HAVE TO do one for each member of the household, including pets. Or ditch the gerbil or cat. Or bring them as a snack.

And to the original poster... That's not a bug out bag. That's an "hour at the range bag"!

Add some food, water filtration, cash, a stainless steel wide mouth container (no plastic), med kit, medications if you need, a fixed blade knife, compass, rain cover, a couple survival blankets, copies of all major credit cards and IDs and banking info kept on a flash drive in case you loose your cash or wallet. Also add a whistle, firestarter, compact stove, flashlight, radio communication, a hat, extra pair of socks and whatever else you'd need if the banks weren't giving you access to your bank account. You can't rely on your credit/debit card when the power's out.

Always base things on electricity. If that's gone, your credit card isn't worth shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't need my approval here, but this is the real truth.

For me to leave my area shit would be outta control to the extreme.

I ain't leaving my zone for 99% of issues.
I have a vision of what I would do if power dropped for an extended period.

I have a well. I heat with propane. I have plans for a propane generator. If I even smell an extended issue I pump an assload of water into my back up storage.
The upper floor of the house gets abandoned. The basement becomes home. 360 deg of concrete dug into a hill.
Furniture gets burned for heat. I stash firewood even though no fireplace.
Bottled fuel for a campstove. Cast iron kit. Dutch oven can cook anything. A pantry of canned and dried goods.
Quality cold winter gear, sleeping bags.
Med supplies, check.
First aid and trauma care training, check.
Basic mechanical and carpentry skills, check.
I have the ability to identify edible plants and roots, fish, hunt, etc.
I have identified local alternative sources of water.

I have also identified local folks I can trust and maintain a small community with.

This is extreme thinking on my part. But as stated above mental and psychological prep is nearly as important as gear.

I figure in the extreme, I'm good for a month with 4 people and my dog.

After that, Dutch oven and the dog...

Lol just kidding you stupid dog...jeez she's got no sense of humor!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Low on the levels of worries, but here is a reason for bug-out

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Yup. I mentioned that.

It also depends on what sort of accident happens there as well. A Three Mile Island thing will give reason to bail for a while. But if it's a full-on meltdown/explosion.... Eeeesh. I dunno' know what good running will do, but it's better than nothing.

And, unless it turned into a media frenzy after an obvious explosion or meltdown, no one would really know unless they had their own Geiger counter or someone on the inside who new better.

Based on the Fukushima cover-up that's going on, we obviously can't count on the media, the CDC, EPA or any level of government to attest to or admit to the actual radiation concerns.

What's going on in japan right now is atrocious. Every day, the damaged Fukushima reactors dump over 300 tons of highly irradiated water into the Pacific Ocean, every single day, since March 11th, 2011. Every. Single. Day.

The Pacific Ocean is fucked. The sea life there is fucked. Cesium particles are continually found in produce coming from the West coast. All the kids living on the West Coast will eventually contract some form of cancer, caused by the radiation from the japs. Whether you know it or not, you all need to stop eating fish that comes out of the Pacific. Anyone under the age of forty is at risk. Over that age, you'll likely not die from whatever you pick up. But over a lifetime, those particles will get you.

And that's if things don't get worse. If they have another 7.0 earthquake near or at the location of the Daiichi nuclear facility, the entire planet is fucked.

I recently read that the assholes at Fukushima are actually considering "A controlled meltdown", in order to stop the leaking radiation into the atmosphere and ocean.

Fucking japs... Building an outdated/obsolete designed nuclear power plant, on the edge of the most active fault line in the world.

Human arrogance has no bounds.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yup. I mentioned that.

It also depends on what sort of accident happens there as well. A Three Mile Island thing will give reason to bail for a while. But if it's a full-on meltdown/explosion.... Eeeesh. I dunno' know what good running will do, but it's better than nothing.

And, unless it turned into a media frenzy after an obvious explosion or meltdown, no one would really know unless they had their own Geiger counter or someone on the inside who new better.

Based on the Fukushima cover-up that's going on, we obviously can't count on the media, the CDC, EPA or any level of government to attest to or admit to the actual radiation concerns.

What's going on in japan right now is atrocious. Every day, the damaged Fukushima reactors dump over 300 tons of highly irradiated water into the Pacific Ocean, every single day, since March 11th, 2011. Every. Single. Day.

The Pacific Ocean is fucked. The sea life there is fucked. Cesium particles are continually found in produce coming from the West coast. All the kids living on the West Coast will eventually contract some form of cancer, caused by the radiation from the japs. Whether you know it or not, you all need to stop eating fish that comes out of the Pacific. Anyone under the age of forty is at risk. Over that age, you'll likely not die from whatever you pick up. But over a lifetime, those particles will get you.

And that's if things don't get worse. If they have another 7.0 earthquake near or at the location of the Daiichi nuclear facility, the entire planet is fucked.

I recently read that the assholes at Fukushima are actually considering "A controlled meltdown", in order to stop the leaking radiation into the atmosphere and ocean.

Fucking japs... Building an outdated/obsolete designed nuclear power plant, on the edge of the most active fault line in the world.

Human arrogance has no bounds.

View Quote

Well the only good thing to come out of this is the radiation is really mostly on the West coast. Maybe that is what we need to get rid of all the liberals there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#32]
THAT would work.

That would be nice.

Lead them there like the Pied Piper led the rats to the river.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.dom.com/about/stations/nuclear/millstone/images/millstone.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.dom.com/about/stations/nuclear/millstone/images/millstone.jpg

You hanging out on my old street snapping pics again????
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#34]

All one needs in a bugout kit imo.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Need more duct tape and lime
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top