Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 4:47:53 PM EDT
I'm selling a couple of my pre ban ARs, and I got a hit off Armslist for one of them. I said I wanted a pistol permit in order to make the sale. Guy quotes me chapter and verse about how it's not required for a pre ban and he just needs a DL and proof of residency. I declined the sale, would you? If the buyer was willing to meet at an FFL and transfer them through an FFL, then would you?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If he wants to transfer it through an FFL then go for it. Just have him pay the fees.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Considering that the transfer needs to be called in and reported, regardless, I wouldn't be concerned about making the transfer to a non-permit holder. Going through an FFL would really be a waste. The one thing that I would insist on is cash, up front.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]
But do you not need a long arm or pistol permit to sell a rifle? The pre bans status  is what makes it legal to buy without a permit right?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be fine with it also.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget that under the stupid new laws the 14 day waiting period applies to FTF sales now unless the buyer presents to the seller one of the valid permits/certificates that waive the 14 day waiting period.

If the seller is out of state then the sale/transfer must go through an FFL either in the buyers state or the sellers state. CT laws still apply if the sale take place out of states at the sellers FFL.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Pre ban status is what makes it sellable in CT. If not would be an illegal sale/transfer of an "assault weapon" after April XX, 2013.
The longarm license doesn't come out till next April.
I think the rule now is paperwork, call in for auth. number and two week wait??
But for some reason I think I'm missing something in the new law... I think now 21 years old min., and maybe something else?
A pistol permit buyer would be a lot easier for sure.
Edited my incorrect info. Head hurts sometimes with this stuff. Sorry
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Its 18 or older to buy long guns.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But do you not need a long arm or pistol permit to sell a rifle? The pre bans status  is what makes it legal to buy without a permit right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Through April, an individual can acquire long guns without a qualifying credential, subject to a 14-day wait (unless he has a (CT) hunting license, eligibility certificate, military ID, or is a federal marshal, peace officer, or parole officer.

c) On and after April 1, 2014, no person may purchase or receive any long gun unless such person holds a valid long gun eligibility certificate issued pursuant to section 2 of this act, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28, as amended by this act, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (a) of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to section 29-36f, as amended by this act, or is a federal marshal, parole officer or peace officer.

[The waiting period is in (g).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interestingly, t appears that the 21 YOA requirement (for centerfire semi-automatic rifles that has or accepts a magazine over 5 rounds) only applies to retail sales.

(b) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection, no person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any long gun to any person under eighteen years of age.

(2) No person, firm or corporation may sell, deliver or otherwise transfer, at retail, any semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has or accepts a magazine with a capacity exceeding five rounds to any person under twenty-one years of age. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to the sale, delivery or transfer of such a rifle to any person who is a member or employee of an organized local police department, the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection or the Department of Correction or a member of the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their duties.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The ftf long gun sales is spelled out in the cthtf FAQ sticky...
Are PRIVATE SALES allowed?

Face-to-face private sales are permissible, provided an authorization number is obtained by calling the state (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438.  

On or prior to March 31, 2014
  • The buyer cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms.

• Mandatory 14-day waiting period before the transfer can be completed (immediate transfer allowed if the purchaser has a valid Pistol Permit, Hunting License, Eligibility Certificate or Long Gun Certificate)

• "Paperless" firearms transfers are prohibited.

• The buyer fills out a DPS-67-C form and the seller retains it for 20 years.

• The seller fills out DPS-3-C form (4 copies total). The seller retains the original (for at least 5 years).  One copy goes to the buyer at point of sale/transfer. One copy goes to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. The final copy goes to the chief of police or the warden of the borough or the first selectman, of the town in which the buyer resides.

On or after April 1, 2014
  • The buyer cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms.
  • Buyer must present the seller one of the following; a valid long gun eligibility certificate, a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, a valid permit to sell at retail a pistol or revolver, or a valid eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver.
  • Call DESPP (860) 685-8400, or 1-(888) 335-8438 for an authorization number.
  • The buyer fills out a DPS-67-C form and the seller retains it for 20 years.
  • The seller fills out DPS-3-C form (4 copies total). The seller retains the original (for at least 5 years).  One copy goes to the buyer at point of sale/transfer. One copy goes to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection. The final copy goes to the chief of police or the warden of the borough or the first selectman, of the town in which the buyer resides.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pre ban status is what makes it sellable in CT. If not would be an illegal sale/transfer of an "assault weapon" after April XX, 2013.
The longarm license doesn't come out till next April.
I think the rule now is paperwork, call in for auth. number and two week wait??
But for some reason I think I'm missing something in the new law... I think now 21 years old min., and maybe something else?
A pistol permit buyer would be a lot easier for sure.
View Quote

Aside from holding on to the gun for an extra few weeks, not a whole lot of difference. I would probably want to get paid, or at least get substantial deposit, up front.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interestingly, t appears that the 21 YOA requirement (for centerfire semi-automatic rifles that has or accepts a magazine over 5 rounds) only applies to retail sales.
View Quote

Yep, the devil is in the details so to speak. An 18 yo can buy a long gun but there is a limitation on type if purchased retail (apparently).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, the devil is in the details so to speak. An 18 yo can buy a long gun but there is a limitation on type if purchased retail (apparently).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which brings up an interesting point (probably tangential in this situation, but interesting none the less)- that by the letter of the law, gun show transfers are retail sales, even if the transferor is a private person.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I called the state this morning, they said it was totally legal and that for face to face sales there is NO 14 day waiting period, that is only for retail sales. So, you guys are right. Perhaps I should reconsider this sale.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I called the state this morning, they said it was totally legal and that for face to face long gun sales there is NO 14 day waiting period, that is only for retail sales. So, you guys are right. Perhaps I should reconsider this sale.
View Quote

Who ever told you that there is no 14 day waiting period on face to face sales is wrong. The language in the statute makes no distinction on retail or private sale with respect to long guns. Here is the relevant portion of the statue from PA 13-220 indicating the 14 day waiting period and the permits/certifcates/jobs that wave it:

(g) Prior to April 1, 2014, no sale, delivery or other transfer of any long gun shall be made until the expiration of two weeks from the date of the application, except that such waiting period shall not apply to any federal marshal, parole officer or peace officer, or to the sale, delivery or other transfer of (1) any long gun to a holder of a valid state permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued under the provisions of section 29-28, as amended by public act 13-3, as amended by this act, a valid eligibility certificate issued under the provisions of section 29-36f, as amended by public act 13-3, as amended by this act, or a valid long gun eligibility certificate issued under the provisions of section 2 of public act 13-3, as amended by this act, (2) any long gun to an active member of the armed forces of the United States or of any reserve component thereof, (3) any long gun to a holder of a valid hunting license issued pursuant to chapter 490, or (4) antique firearms. For the purposes of this subsection, "antique firearm" means any firearm which was manufactured in or before 1898 and any replica of such firearm, provided such replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition except rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and not readily available in the ordinary channel of commercial trade.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Jesus... I can't wait to move. Trying to follow the damned law and the state is trying to make me a fucking criminal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jesus... I can't wait to move. Trying to follow the damned law and the state is trying to make me a fucking criminal.
View Quote

Which sadly is exactly what the state and gun grabbers want. You as a criminal or to move out since you most likely do not vote for them.

The bottom line with FTF long gun sales is require the buyer to have one of the valid permits/certificates that waives the 14 day waiting period. And if selling a detachable magazine rifle with a magazine tell them not to use the Hunting License to waive the 14 day waiting period. Reason for this is that while a hunting license will wave the long gun waiting period, it is not one of the acceptable permits or certificates for buying ammunition magazines.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Which sadly is exactly what the state and gun grabbers want. You as a criminal or to move out since you most likely do not vote for them.

The bottom line with FTF long gun sales is require the buyer to have one of the valid permits/certificates that waives the 14 day waiting period. And if selling a detachable magazine rifle with a magazine tell them not to use the Hunting License to waive the 14 day waiting period. Reason for this is that while a hunting license will wave the long gun waiting period, it is not one of the acceptable permits or certificates for buying ammunition magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless they go and get an ammunition certificate as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]
since the long gun cert is unavailable the only way to buy a gun in ct is with the pistol cert or carry permit as of oct 1 i believe. the ammo cert cannot be used for long gun sales.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which after April 1, 2014 would be a moot point since from that date on the hunting license is no longer one of the valid permits when purchasing a long gun. From that period on the same permits to purchase a long gun are the same one's that now currently allow someone to buy ammunition magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top