Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2013 3:14:28 PM EDT

Olympic arms charges $35 bucks each, but if you want to sell these guns locally one day in the future, it might be a good idea to get yours. I ordered 3 last Thursday and received them today. Thanks Olympic Arms!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!! I thought they stopped doing them. I will call tomorrow for mine.
Thanks Pain !!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It absolutely sucks, that while nothing in the law specifically mandates it, people have to spend money to get a letter that proves their legally purchased and legally owned property was manufactured prior to a certain date.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You are absolutely right sb.
But its cheaper than a lawyer.
I don't trust this state. Figure its better to have one than not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are absolutely right sb.
But its cheaper than a lawyer.
I don't trust this state. Figure its better to have one than not.
View Quote

I agree. But it's tiresome fighting them. But for 35 bucks, if you need to sell it,  you can make a few bucks down the road. Otherwise an internet sale of a parts gun will get you nothing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, I have a FA M16 conversion based on an Oly lower.  I wonder if the 1980's dated ATF form 4 would count as proof of pre 1994 MFG?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Do any of you actually trust that a police officer would know or make the right call if you did not register your pre ban and instead carried this document from Olympic arms...Seriously?

I understand the law and how it is written... However I have zero faith or confidence for a peace officer to make a correct assumption / call if ever confronted for your paperwork.

I can see an officer just saying... fuck it ... you don't have a DESPP certificate... Slap the cuffs on you and say... Let the courts handle it...

I have an OLY and a Bushy preban and as much as I don't want to register... there is no fucking way I would allow an asshat peace officer decide my fate with a bad judgement call or the fact that he / she has no understanding of the laws.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do any of you actually trust that a police officer would know or make the right call if you did not register your pre ban and instead carried this document from Olympic arms...Seriously?

I understand the law and how it is written... However I have zero faith or confidence for a peace officer to make a correct assumption / call if ever confronted for your paperwork.

I can see an officer just saying... fuck it ... you don't have a DESPP certificate... Slap the cuffs on you and say... Let the courts handle it...

I have an OLY and a Bushy preban and as much as I don't want to register... there is no fucking way I would allow an asshat peace officer decide my fate with a bad judgement call or the fact that he / she has no understanding of the laws.

View Quote

If you did like me, and 1 day you wish to sell them locally you can. So the assault weapon paper is BS.

There is a flip side to registering them. If they want to bust balls in the future (they always will and never will stop) they could add a tax to each weapon owned or a limit on how many a person can possess, so it's up to you to weigh the risks, either way.

I would not register them if I could do it over.
I have never been stopped at a range by a policeman to check my papers. I'm 51 so I've been shooting for 30 years or so.

edit to fix spelling.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You know, I have a FA M16 conversion based on an Oly lower.  I wonder if the 1980's dated ATF form 4 would count as proof of pre 1994 MFG?
View Quote

I'm very jealous of you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

For anything firearms related, hell for anything in general, they could arrest you and let the lawyers figure it out. The law does not say anything about proving date of manufacture or having such proof with your firearm (or evil assault weapons) if you carry such firearm in public or are purchasing a preban. The only proof one needs to supply is that they legally purchased the firearm prior to 4/4/13 when applying for certificate of possession, and for magazines being declared as large capacity magazines.

I have only been hassled once by police for what they thought was an illegal assault weapon. Happened at Wooster Mountain back during the fed ban years. The LEO just happened to wander into talk someone else there while I was shooting a Mini-14 with what I was told at the time was a flash hider (which it is now marketed as a muzzle brake), and 30 round magazines. All of which were way preban (1980's vintage). He kept telling me what I had was illegal and didn't believe they were legal if preban. It wasn't until an older gentlemen who was shooting from the next bench who overheard the entire exchange wandered over and confirmed to the police what I had been telling them. Only then did the LEO back off. Now being hassled by RO's for having what they thought was a banned firearm/magazine, that happened more than once at Wooster Mtn.

Since the gun grabbers in the legislature will not stop, some say it is advisable to have extra copies of the certificate of possession or other documents just in case. I used to keep a copy of the AWB with me after my run in wth the LEO at Wooster during the fed ban years so could prove I was not breaking the law.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#10]
They charged me $38.44,  what gives?  lol

Firefox, just buy the damn cert.
Or I will take the Oly off your hands for $100.
Is that the one I assembled? Can't remember. If not, then I'll give you $50. LMAO
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
As much as I believe I am not legally required to or should have a certificate to basically say I pinky swear this is a preban and Oly says so, I have ordered my cert of authenticity. It could be money well spent in the future, but I hate that I have to even consider that potential.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top