Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 6:11:37 AM EDT
Can someone chime in on this. I have a m21 super match with a wood stock a 10rd detachable mag and a muzzle break. Is this a assault weapon due to the grip. I have been told by friends it is a palm swell grip   I also have a m1 carbine same stock design no flash hider and 10rd mag. I don't want to register any thing I don't have to. Please help thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
It would appear the M21 Super Match, if manufactured post 9/13/1994, with wood stock has a "palm swell" grip and would not need to be registered per the DESPP FAQ. Note however that with a "palm swell" style stock, if your semiautomatic detachable magazine centerfire rifle has a "flash suppressor" on it, then it is considered an assault weapon and would need to be registered.

11. Q: I have a rifle which is a semi-automatic center fire and has a curved portion of the stock directly behind the trigger guard which extends very slightly below it. It has none of the other banned features. Is this stock considered a pistol grip which would require me to register it as an assault weapon?

A: No. The type of stock you are describing is considered a “palm swell” and not a pistol grip. However, if the stock has a thumb hole, it qualifies as an assault weapon and must be registered by January 1, 2014.

To put it another way. This is legal (minus the "flash suppressor" if manufactured post 9/13/1994) because of the "palm swell" grip and doesn't need to be registered...

This may be an assault weapon (if manufactured after 9/13/1994) due to the; pistol grip if it is below the action of the weapon; use of "flash suppressor" if it has one, and the use of a folding/collapsing stock and would need to be registered...

The whole issue of the pistol grip comes down to its placement on the semiautomatic detachable magazine centerfire firearm. If the pistol grip is below the action of the weapon then its a banned feature.

Posted updated
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your help my m21 has a muzzle brake not a flash surpressor so I think this ok. It is the one you have pictured above (wood stock 1)
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If the top picture is an AW  Fudd land is going to boil over.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the top picture is an AW  Fudd land is going to boil over.
View Quote

One can only hope. We need something to get them off their asses, off the sidelines and into the fight on our side. Too many didn't get involved because they didn't think their guns would be affected.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing's going to boil over. The vast majority of gun owners in this state have no idea what's going on and don't care. Post 1/2014 you won't see any boots through doors. It'll just be onesie twosie kind of arrests and convictions of innocent people caught unaware. That's how tyranny works... slowly... surely...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top