Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2013 10:08:28 AM EDT
Anyone hear any further info on how the revised 53-202m is being interpreted (LGS, BMG, Hoffman's, DPS, etc) with regards to pre-94 bans?  BTW, those that say to just go ahead and register to be safe...that is perilous at this point...the downfall to this is that if you do, you are tacitly agreeing that not only that they must be registered, but that you will not be able to transfer it within the state. I do not think the pre-94' issue should be given in to so easily...as stated previously, they would have had an issue with not allowing that exception to continue.
tv
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd love clarification on this; interpreting the law as written, although possessing aw features, it's not an aw as long as its a legit "preban". A new class for CT...like class 2.5...like mgs
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If you look at the ct laws they've been recently updated. According to Veronica Rose chief analyst, she wrote in an OLR research report:

Select Pre-1994 Rifles

By law, assault weapons not listed by name but defined by feature under the law prior to the passage of PA 13-3 are exempt from the assault weapons transfer and registration requirements if they were legally manufactured before September 13, 1994 (CGS § 53-202m). PA 13-3 retained the exemption but eliminated the referenced provisions describing the features. Thus, the status of these pre-1994 weapons is unclear.

Now it's been updated and moved to the the connecticut public acts section along with the brand new laws and ammendments
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0247.htm

She writes:

§ 11 — EXCEPTIONS FOR CERTAIN PRE-1994 RIFLES

The bill specifically retains an exemption for certain pre-1994 rifles defined by feature, thereby eliminating an ambiguity in PA 13-3.

Prior to the passage of PA 13-3, certain semiautomatic rifles not listed by name but defined by features were exempt from the assault weapons transfer and registration requirements if they were legally manufactured before September 13, 1994 (CGS § 53-202m). PA 13-3 retained the exemption but eliminated the referenced provisions in the law describing the features. Thus, the status of these pre-1994 weapons under PA 13-3 is unclear. The bill specifically retains the exemption for these rifles.

From my understanding, where this is section is placed with the new laws, she states it outright as it is.

This is my first post, I hope it's informative .
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
So it would have to be Pre-94 and not banned by name under the new and old  list?

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you saying with this information we can transfer Pre-94's? If we can transfer them... then we can acquire them too
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 4:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you saying with this information we can transfer Pre-94's? If we can transfer them... then we can acquire them too

If they are not banned by name in sections 1 or 2, then yes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
What does that leave us?

AR's are banned by "copies and clones" so I am assuming we are fucked there.

Norincos in .223?
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

I have no idea.  This whole thing makes me dizzy.  I would assume anything non named pre ban would be good to go for transfers and exempt from reg.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Sooooo...let's say somebody owns a Bushmaster pre-ban that was manufactured in 1993. Even after the 4/4 law was passed it doesn't have to be registered?

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

Where it leaves us is where we've been saying all a long.

Anything manufactured prior to September 13, 1994 and which was not banned by name under the pre-4/4/13 law can be transferred and does not need to be registered as an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

Are we?  They conveniently left out WWW and XXX but named "Colt Match Target Rifles" while leaving out YYY and ZZZ that we all know DPS previously said were gtg.

It appears they tried to ban any semi-auto rifles that took detachable mags and were chambered in .223/5.56, 7.62x39, .308, .50 BMG.

There are a ton of oddball things left out there even though many of them are pre-import ban ('88?) and only have +10rnd mags available.  It's almost worth setting up an 07/02, receiving them in, making the mags compliant at 10rnds, and then selling to John Q Public.  Non-named pre-bans
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

Anything manufactured prior to September 13, 1994 and which was not banned by name under the pre-4/4/13 law can be transferred and does not need to be registered as an assault weapon.

well, the problem is that the "banned by name" sweeps up all of the obvious stuff.

we have to look a little harder, and know what we are looking for now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

Wait wait wait, so you could still transfer a pre-94 XXX  or YYY even though they are now banned by name?  What a cluster$(%* and I'm loving it.  Let the transfers begin  

Holy crap!  Reading the law it says you're right because they chose Jan 1st and not April 6th

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, as amended by this act, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

Wait wait wait, so you could still transfer a pre-94 Olympic Arms AR15 or Bushmaster XM-15 even though they are now banned by name?  What a cluster$(%* and I'm loving it.  Let the transfers begin  

Holy crap!  Reading the law it says you're right because they chose Jan 1st and not April 6th

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, as amended by this act, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

banned by name.....

(B) Any of the following specified semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such rifles, that were in production prior to or on the effective date of this section: (i) AK-47; (ii) AK-74; (iii) AKM; (iv) AKS-74U; (v) ARM; (vi) MAADI AK47; (vii) MAK90; (viii) MISR; (ix) NHM90 and NHM91; (x) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86S; (xi) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47; (xii) SA 85; (xiii) SA 93; (xiv) VEPR; (xv) WASR-10; (xvi) WUM; (xvii) Rock River Arms LAR-47; (xviii) Vector Arms AK-47; (xix) AR-10; (xx) AR-15; (xxi) Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster ACR Rifles, Bushmaster MOE Rifles; (xxii) Colt Match Target Rifles; (xxiii) Armalite M15; (xxiv) Olympic Arms AR-15, A1, CAR, PCR, K3B, K30R, K16, K48, K8 and K9 Rifles; (xxv) DPMS Tactical Rifles; (xxvi) Smith and Wesson M&P15 Rifles; (xxvii) Rock River Arms LAR-15; (xxviii) Doublestar AR Rifles; (xxix) Barrett REC7; (xxx) Beretta Storm; (xxxi) Calico Liberty 50, 50 Tactical, 100, 100 Tactical, I, I Tactical, II and II Tactical Rifles; (xxxii) Hi-Point Carbine Rifles; (xxxiii) HK-PSG-1; (xxxiv) Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU Rifles, and RFB; (xxxv) Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615; (xxxvi) SAR-8, SAR-4800 and SR9; (xxxvii) SLG 95; (xxxviii) SLR 95 or 96; (xxxix) TNW M230 and M2HB; (xl) Vector Arms UZI; (xli) Galil and Galil Sporter; (xlii) Daewoo AR 100 and AR 110C; (xliii) Fabrique Nationale/FN 308 Match and L1A1 Sporter; (xliv) HK USC; (xlv) IZHMASH Saiga AK; (xlvi) SIG Saue
??????????????????????????
551-A1, 556, 516, 716 and M400 Rifles; (xlvii) Valmet M62S, M71S and M78S; (xlviii) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine; and (xlix) Barrett M107A1;
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Beware that XXXXX --------------------------
YYYYYY and XXX doesn't verify S/N's as to status of prebans anymore?
I would imagine that proof would be required, and the argument with leo at time of arrest, ect.

Lucky I have a YYY letter that states one of mine is indeed preban

Edit to remove data
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

well, the problem is that the "banned by name" sweeps up all of the obvious stuff.

No it doesn't. the law ONLY applies the pre-4/4/13 banned by name list NOT the post 4/4/13 banned by name list to firearms manufactured prior to September 13, 2013. Reread the new statute, they used the date January 1, 2013, that was BEFORE the new law with it's expanded banned by name list went into effect.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

No it doesn't. the law ONLY applies the pre-4/4/13 banned by name list NOT the post 4/4/13 banned by name list to firearms manufactured prior to September 13, 2013. Reread the new statute, they used the date January 1, 2013, that was BEFORE the new law with it's expanded banned by name list went into effect.

So I don't have to register my  pre ban?

Fuck them lol
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

Right, so if you legally own a '94 preban that was exempt from registration you don't have to register it under the 4/4 law.  They are also still transferable.  Bring 'em on!  

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

So I don't have to register my XXX pre ban?

Fuck them lol

Now you've got the law down and you can even buy a 2nd or 3rd
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#19]
It would have to be not banned by name or type under the new or old list,   the referenced section is the same they added names to it.

Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l.

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So I don't have to register my eagle arms pre ban?

Fuck them lol

The way the law is currently written it appears you do not. Its good news for me since my vintage 80's Mini-14 may or may not have flash hider on it. If it was an AW under the new law I'd either have to register it or remove the flash hider (if that's what it really was). Now I don't. I also can mod away on my 80's vintage Remi 1100 since it too would have been classified as an assault weapon with a pistol grip stock and extended tube magazine holding more than five rounds under the post 4/4/13 laws. The fracked up post 4/4/13 and 6/18/13 laws now apply two different sets of feature standards to semiautomatic shotguns.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#21]
lol dumbfuckers

What should I buy for a pre-ban pistol suppressor host?

old ass Sig P226 or Beretta 92?

Or an old Gen 2 Glock 17?
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck them lol

The way the law is currently written it appears you do not. Its good news for me since my vintage 80's Mini-14 may or may not have flash hider on it. If it was an AW under the new law I'd either have to register it or remove the flash hider (if that's what it really was). Now I don't. I also can mod away on my 80's vintage Remi 1100 since it too would have been classified as an assault weapon with a pistol grip stock and extended tube magazine holding more than five rounds under the post 4/4/13 laws. The fracked up post 4/4/13 and 6/18/13 laws now apply two different sets of feature standards to semiautomatic shotguns.

"shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994."

The new items are named under subdivision (2) not (3) or (4)

So it would have to not be banned by name under the new or old law.

I think.

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck them lol

"shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994."

I think.

See I was agreeing with you at first.

Then these other guys changed my mind because I liked their interpretation better.  (which includes the opinion of a legislative analyst not that it means much in court).

Thats why I was asking " whats left", because if we combine both lists, we don't have much left as the new list includes "clones and copies" if I am reading it right.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think.

Its confusing but it appears they are referencing the law as it was on January 1, 2013. So if one looks at the law on January 1, 2013 AND look for subsection (a), then subdivisions (3) and (4), this is what they'd see highlighted in blue, subdivisions (1) and (2) are highlighted in red.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, “assault weapon” means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson “Linda” Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term “assault weapon” does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

Post edited.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#25]
telc, further if one looks at "subdivision 2" of the new law it is NOT the banned by name firearms rather its this: (2) "Assault weapon" does not include (A) any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable, or (B) a part or any combination of parts of an assault weapon, that are not assembled as an assault weapon, when in the possession of a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subsection (d) of section 53-202f, as amended by this act, or a gunsmith who is in the licensed gun dealer's employ, for the purposes of servicing or repairing lawfully possessed assault weapons under sections 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, as amended by this act;

Further, under the new law the banned by name list (both old and new) are renumbered/lettered so they are under;  (1)(A)(i), (1)(B), (1)(C) and (1)(D).

Post edited
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
HOW ABOUT YOU ALL REMOVE SPECIFIC MANUFACTURERS FROM YOUR POSTS.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Redacted mine and those in my quoted posts, got carried away earlier.  It's the lack of sleep over this new law, honest
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I removed also.  My reason is beer........
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

PRE-BAN DEAGLE BRAND DESERT EAGLE DEATH MACHINE AR15 THAT TAKES TWO HIGH STORAGE CLIPS IS STILL LEGAL!
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
AGGGHhhhhh..... my brain is now broken
is it still legal for me to buy and sell a pre-94 preban?
i think my eyes are bleeding
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think we are not sure

It's a good thing we have until January
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#32]
i think it might be worth it to sell my preban to finace the move out of CT...
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

yes, it is still legal to buy/sell/transfer any pre-ban that was not specifically named in the OLD laws. it does NOT MATTER if they are named in the new law. 53-202m refers specifically to the old laws saying as long as it wasn't named in the old law it is exempt as long as it was manufactured before sept 1994. And right at the very beginning of 53-202m states "notwithstanding any other provisions of the general statutes", which means 'no matter what any of the other old or new laws state', which means the new law named list does not matter.

if it was manufactured before September 1994, and was not named in the old laws, then it is 100% legal to buy/sell/trade/transfer. expect prices to be crazy high though. so if you're selling, feel free to make a mattress out of the cash you get for it, cuz it'll be enough to do so.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, it is still legal to buy/sell/transfer any pre-ban that was not specifically named in the OLD laws. it does NOT MATTER if they are named in the new law. 53-202m refers specifically to the old laws saying as long as it wasn't named in the old law it is exempt as long as it was manufactured before sept 1994. And right at the very beginning of 53-202m states "notwithstanding any other provisions of the general statutes", which means 'no matter what any of the other old or new laws state', which means the new law named list does not matter.

if it was manufactured before September 1994, and was not named in the old laws, then it is 100% legal to buy/sell/trade/transfer. expect prices to be crazy high though. so if you're selling, feel free to make a mattress out of the cash you get for it, cuz it'll be enough to do so.

So who's doing transfers?

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 5:18:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

Wait wait wait, so you could still transfer a pre-94 Olympic Arms AR15 or Bushmaster XM-15 even though they are now banned by name?  What a cluster$(%* and I'm loving it.  Let the transfers begin  

banned by name.....

(B) Any of the following specified semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or duplicates thereof with the capability of any such rifles, that were in production prior to or on the effective date of this section: (i) AK-47; (ii) AK-74; (iii) AKM; (iv) AKS-74U; (v) ARM; (vi) MAADI AK47; (vii) MAK90; (viii) MISR; (ix) NHM90 and NHM91; (x) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86S; (xi) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47; (xii) SA 85; (xiii) SA 93; (xiv) VEPR; (xv) WASR-10; (xvi) WUM; (xvii) Rock River Arms LAR-47; (xviii) Vector Arms AK-47; (xix) AR-10; (xx) AR-15; (xxi) Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster ACR Rifles, Bushmaster MOE Rifles; (xxii) Colt Match Target Rifles; (xxiii) Armalite M15; (xxiv) Olympic Arms AR-15, A1, CAR, PCR, K3B, K30R, K16, K48, K8 and K9 Rifles; (xxv) DPMS Tactical Rifles; (xxvi) Smith and Wesson M&P15 Rifles; (xxvii) Rock River Arms LAR-15; (xxviii) Doublestar AR Rifles; (xxix) Barrett REC7; (xxx) Beretta Storm; (xxxi) Calico Liberty 50, 50 Tactical, 100, 100 Tactical, I, I Tactical, II and II Tactical Rifles; (xxxii) Hi-Point Carbine Rifles; (xxxiii) HK-PSG-1; (xxxiv) Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU Rifles, and RFB; (xxxv) Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615; (xxxvi) SAR-8, SAR-4800 and SR9; (xxxvii) SLG 95; (xxxviii) SLR 95 or 96; (xxxix) TNW M230 and M2HB; (xl) Vector Arms UZI; (xli) Galil and Galil Sporter; (xlii) Daewoo AR 100 and AR 110C; (xliii) Fabrique Nationale/FN 308 Match and L1A1 Sporter; (xliv) HK USC; (xlv) IZHMASH Saiga AK; (xlvi) SIG Saue
551-A1, 556, 516, 716 and M400 Rifles; (xlvii) Valmet M62S, M71S and M78S; (xlviii) Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine; and (xlix) Barrett M107A1;

this is where is i say any receiver not named, should be able to be transfered.

they use the word COPY, not TYPE, like they did back in 2002 to classify AK47 type, and that meant all AK47s that fired the 7.62x39

copy and type do not mean the same thing
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So who's doing transfers?

This
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you look at the ct laws they've been recently updated. According to Veronica Rose chief analyst, she wrote in an OLR research report:

Select Pre-1994 Rifles

By law, assault weapons not listed by name but defined by feature under the law prior to the passage of PA 13-3 are exempt from the assault weapons transfer and registration requirements if they were legally manufactured before September 13, 1994 (CGS § 53-202m). PA 13-3 retained the exemption but eliminated the referenced provisions describing the features. Thus, the status of these pre-1994 weapons is unclear.

Now it's been updated and moved to the the connecticut public acts section along with the brand new laws and ammendments
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0247.htm

She writes:

§ 11 — EXCEPTIONS FOR CERTAIN PRE-1994 RIFLES

The bill specifically retains an exemption for certain pre-1994 rifles defined by feature, thereby eliminating an ambiguity in PA 13-3.

Prior to the passage of PA 13-3, certain semiautomatic rifles not listed by name but defined by features were exempt from the assault weapons transfer and registration requirements if they were legally manufactured before September 13, 1994 (CGS § 53-202m). PA 13-3 retained the exemption but eliminated the referenced provisions in the law describing the features. Thus, the status of these pre-1994 weapons under PA 13-3 is unclear. The bill specifically retains the exemption for these rifles.

From my understanding, where this is section is placed with the new laws, she states it outright as it is.

This is my first post, I hope it's informative .

Just so that we're all on the same page, the exemption is for pre-94 assault weapon RIFLES, correct?  If we have a pre-94 assault weapon PISTOL (in my case, a West German made P226 with a threaded barrel) it still needs to be registered?

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

banned by name.....

they use the word COPY, not TYPE, like they did back in 2002 to classify AK47 type, and that meant all AK47s that fired the 7.62x39

So what would constitute a "copy" or "clone"?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 6:46:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#40]
how about a preban lower from a manufacturer that is not banned by name.

*with a piston 556 upper

*with a 300BLK upper (or any non223/556 caliber)

if feel like this would not fall into the copies category (piston = dif BCG /// dif caliber = dif bbl and sometimes dif mags and BCG)

and you are not banned by name

and you are pre-94
im also very interested in an aidscannon built on a lower that takes 9mm glock mags

those lowers are not banned by name

and are not copies

CTHTF MOD, DanTSX - please let me know if i should scrub this info.

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
*with a piston 556 upper

if feel like this would not fall into the copies category (piston = dif BCG /// dif caliber = dif bbl and sometimes dif mags and BCG)
and you are pre-94

im also very interested in an aidscannon built on a lower that takes 9mm glock mags
and are not copies

I'm good .
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just so that we're all on the same page, the exemption is for pre-94 assault weapon RIFLES, correct?  If we have a pre-94 assault weapon PISTOL (in my case, a West German made P226 with a threaded barrel) it still needs to be registered?

it applies to any semi-auto firearm. section (3) states any semi auto rifle (3a), and semi-auto pistol (3b), and any semi-auto shotgun (3c). see below:

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:56:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
*with a piston 556 upper

and you are pre-94

and are not copies

the lower receiver is the firearm, it is the part that has the serial number on it. so that is the only part that matters. which is exactly the reason stripped pre-ban lower receivers were so costly in CT for the last decade; because as long as the lower was pre-ban, you could do whatever the hell you wanted to it; install anything you want.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#44]
WTT:

My preban bushmaster m4gry for your transferable colt m16, I'll cover transfers to and from

This may actually become truth though if the "laws" hold up:

My MINT, UNFIRED bushmaster preban with a serial in the low 20,xxx, with all the goodies; for your M11/9, I'll cover  both sides of transfer; mark my words
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*with a piston 556 upper

and you are pre-94

and are not copies

the lower receiver is the firearm, it is the part that has the serial number on it. so that is the only part that matters. which is exactly the reason stripped pre-ban lower receivers were so costly in CT for the last decade; because as long as the lower was pre-ban, you could do whatever the hell you wanted to it; install anything you want.

'13er,

I know about prebans.. We all do. But my interpretation is that a bushy (example) preban can't transfer because it's banned by name. And a preban not banned by name with a regular upper would fall into the copies category, which are now banned.

Can you expand on the point you are trying to make?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that leave us?

Norincos in .223?

banned by name.....

just my opinion, but here it is

the word type, type (plural types)

A grouping based on shared characteristics; a class.

a type was determined to be a rifle or pistol, that fired xyz round, appeared the same and functioned the same, ie the AK47 type (norinco, maadi, yugos, etc.) . didnt matter who made it, it was covered by the word TYPE

i see the word copy as this per wikipedia, Copying or the product of copying (including the plural "copies"); the duplication of information or an artifact

now for the word COPY, copy and type mean two different things. a chevy is a type of car, so is a ford. but in no way is a chevy a copy of a ford, they are types of cars, not copies

so how could a spikes AR be a copy of a stag AR? are they a type of each other? they sure are according to the state definition of the word TYPE. but they use the word copy now.

and to complicate things further, there is no way a a piston driven AR is a copy of a DI AR15. two completely different operating systems

do i make sense? or is it just in my warped head?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#47]

do i make sense? or is it just in my warped head?

these laws are not intented to make sense.

they are intended to frighten the already scared.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/10/2013 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#49]
How about any shops in agreement here?
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How about any shops in agreement here?

even if a shop were to be in agreement, it doesnt mean that they will transfer stuff
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top