Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2011 2:54:21 AM EDT
I've been a longtime lurker and finally took the plunge. I've got two questions I'm hoping to get  answered. First, I know the ct law says there's no waiting period to purchase a rifle if you have a ct hunting license or have a pistol permit in the state. Does that apply to ar's? I'm currently in the waiting process for my pistol permit but I do have my ct big game tag. So would I be able to head to say Hoffman's and buy one of there ar packages without waiting?

Second, does anyone know of Northeastern CT gun clubs that allow shooting ar's at there range? Would traveling to and RI range be legal? Thanks

Matt
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 3:28:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Aside from cosmetics, an AR-style rifle is still just a rifle so your hunting license will get you past the 2-week waiting period.

As far as clubs go, I don't know of any that specifically ban AR-style rifles.  Why would they?  Unless you're really going to go off the deep end and join the NFA crowd with a full-auto, it's just another rifle.  Some clubs may restrict the number of rounds in the magazine or the rapidity in which you shoot, but I've never heard of a ban on ARs.

I have no idea what Rhode Island may or may not allow.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#2]
You could look in to the Ledyard sportsmans club. That's in your direction. I think there are a few guys here that are members.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the reply guys, I'm in the Plainfield Area  so I've called a few of the local clubs and asked specifically about ar type rifles. One club said no full metal jacket and the other said no ar's.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm in the Plainfield Area so I've called a few of the local clubs and asked specifically about ar type rifles. One club said no full metal jacket and the other said no ar's.

Pachaug Outdoor Club, in Plainfield:  http://www.pocct.com/
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link, are you a member there? I don't know any members so how do I get sponsored?  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not. Two of my friends are.

I don't think sponsors are necessary.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
There website says to join you need to be sponsored by a current member.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks for the link, are you a member there? I don't know any members so how do I get sponsored?  Thanks

Show up at a meeting

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
you guys have waiting periods?
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

yes, but easily passable- with a hunting license you can get a long gun immediately, and with a pistol permit (which you need to buy a pistol anyways) it is waived for everything (cept NFA)

i have never had to wait for a gun, except when i purchased one in RI

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got another question or two, I had to fill out my print cards(for my pistol permit) at the PD and one of them asked if I'd ever be found guilt of a crime. I answer'd "no" but after I thought about it I had speeding tickets in the past. I asked the lady handling the paper work and she said I didn't need to put that. Anyone know if she was correct? Also what are your thoughts on Hoffman's ak deals? Couls I do better at a small shop in my area? Is there a glossary on this site for all the acronyms?

Matt
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got another question or two, I had to fill out my print cards(for my pistol permit) at the PD and one of them asked if I'd ever be found guilt of a crime. I answer'd "no" but after I thought about it I had speeding tickets in the past. I asked the lady handling the paper work and she said I didn't need to put that. Anyone know if she was correct? Also what are your thoughts on Hoffman's ak deals? Couls I do better at a small shop in my area? Is there a glossary on this site for all the acronyms?

Matt

Yes she was right. Unless it was wreck-less driving I believe.

How far east are you, theres a nice range in my town but Im North-Central.

GLWTA (good luck with the acronyms) and welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Matt

Matt, She was right.  Traffic violations are not considered.  They want to know if you got arrested.  I've had a shitton of tickets because I was a kid with a fast, loud, red sumbitch of a car.

Hoffman's AK's?  Didn't know they were doing any AK's, but I do know that JoJo's in southington is doing Saiga conversions to AK's for very reasonable rates.  Prices are usually pretty flat across the local stores.  Selection and service drive my purchases.  And I trust JoJo's to build an AK over something coming in from Century or TGI.

As far as the acronyms, there is a this thread...  Might not contain all of the in-jokes or institutional knowledge, but it is a good start  You'll catch on fast, the site is quite addicting

http://www.ar15.com//content/page.html?id=254

Anyways, welcome to the forum!
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, but easily passable- with a military ID orhunting license you can get a long gun immediately, and with a police ID, pistol permit, or Eligibility Certificate(which you need to buy a pistol anyways) it is waived for everything (cept NFA)

i have never had to wait for a gun, except when i purchased one in RI

I made a few additions in red.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt

Matt, She was right.  Traffic violations are not considered.  They want to know if you got arrested.  I've had a shitton of tickets because I was a kid with a fast, loud, red sumbitch of a car.

Hoffman's AK's?  Didn't know they were doing any AK's, but I do know that JoJo's in southington is doing Saiga conversions to AK's for very reasonable rates.  Prices are usually pretty flat across the local stores.  Selection and service drive my purchases.  And I trust JoJo's to build an AK over something coming in from Century or TGI.

As far as the acronyms, there is a this thread...  Might not contain all of the in-jokes or institutional knowledge, but it is a good start  You'll catch on fast, the site is quite addicting

Hoffman's was running a sale on Saigas for $329. I don't believe that the sale is still on though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt

Hoffman's was running a sale on Saigas for $329. I don't believe that the sale is still on though.

That is nice!

I'm thinking about the Saiga in .308 now.  Trying to find good info on them is kind of hard though.  Folks that are reporting back accuracy on them are a little .  You know the type.....Tapcofucked SKS claiming under 1MOA from a leapers scope on a cover mount.  The only usable info that I'm finding is that the 16" is more accurate than the 20" Saiga .308 because of barrel harmonics.  

In any event, I'll most likely shitbag that idea and end up with a nice M1A or FAL.  But a Saiga .223 in it's stock form looks nice and bump fires like a monster (ask me how I know)
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Well that's a relief on the traffic stops. As far as Hoffman's my newbie side is showing. They had some specials on s&w m&p 15 on sale. I was under the idea that these were all "ar's"? I've always wanted an "ar-15/m16 since I was a child. I've owned hunting rifles and shotguns for years but I've recently be getting into shooting for fun an personal protection. I stumbled upon this site and have been hooked.  After a short time I began looking into owning an AR. Since there on the banned guns list in CT I thought I was sol. But as you guys know there are way around the system.  So now I'm planning on adding an "ar" chambered .223 to my gun locker. That's why all the questions, thanks for bearing with me. My only real issue with owning one was where to shoot. The club in RI where I was a member would not allow it. I often got crazy comments by the other members when I spoke on the subject.

This place was more into bird hunting and shot guns, most member's sighted in the rifles before the season and that was the only time. So more of a hunting club than gun club persay.
So at this point I'm looking to buy a entry level ar that I can customize until I'm comfortable enough to build one. This hobby sure is addicting!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well that's a relief on the traffic stops. As far as Hoffman's my newbie side is showing. They had some specials on s&w m&p 15 on sale. I was under the idea that these were all "ar's"? I've always wanted an "ar-15/m16 since I was a child. I've owned hunting rifles and shotguns for years but I've recently be getting into shooting for fun an personal protection. I stumbled upon this site and have been hooked.  After a short time I began looking into owning an AR. Since there on the banned guns list in CT I thought I was sol. But as you guys know there are way around the system.  So now I'm planning on adding an "ar" chambered .223 to my gun locker. That's why all the questions, thanks for bearing with me. My only real issue with owning one was where to shoot. The club in RI where I was a member would not allow it. I often got crazy comments by the other members when I spoke on the subject.

This place was more into bird hunting and shot guns, most member's sighted in the rifles before the season and that was the only time. So more of a hunting club than gun club persay.
So at this point I'm looking to buy a entry level ar that I can customize until I'm comfortable enough to build one. This hobby sure is addicting!!!

You should look into purchasing something that will chamber 5.56.

A 5.56 chamber can shoot .223, but a .223 is known to fail when shooting 5.56. You just get a little more versatility IMO. (In my Opinion )

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should look into purchasing something that will chamber 5.56.

A 5.56 chamber can shoot .223, but a .223 is known to fail when shooting 5.56. You just get a little more versatility IMO. (In my Opinion )

Just a thought.

The unit I mentioned is setup for 5.56 nato. So I think I may go that route.

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt

That is nice!

I'm thinking about the Saiga in .308 now.  Trying to find good info on them is kind of hard though.  Folks that are reporting back accuracy on them are a little .  You know the type.....Tapcofucked SKS claiming under 1MOA from a leapers scope on a cover mount.  The only usable info that I'm finding is that the 16" is more accurate than the 20" Saiga .308 because of barrel harmonics.  

In any event, I'll most likely shitbag that idea and end up with a nice M1A or FAL.  But a Saiga .223 in it's stock form looks nice and bump fires like a monster (ask me how I know)

The Saigas that were on sale were .223.

You know, Hoffman's is running a sale on M1As right now. They have one variant available for under 1200. The Loaded Model  is like 1499.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Oh, you said AK, as in AK-47.  Different animal

The S&w ARs, as in AR-15s are good guns, but you need a little info before you buy because several models are available and you should get one that fits your needs.  Some of the less expensive s&w don't have iron sights.  (I.e. M&P sport or ORC models)I would suggest something that more outwardly resembles a standard USGI M4 carbine and then modifying it if needed.  S&W does have one in this configuration that is ban compliant.   Other good makes are the Colt MT6400, LMT, and armalite.   Spikes tactical is good too and can be had ban compliant as well.  Lots to learn there, but were happy to help, so ask away.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 3:35:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The S&w ARs, as in AR-15s are good guns, but you need a little info before you buy because several models are available and you should get one that fits your needs.  Some of the less expensive s&w don't have iron sights.  (I.e. M&P sport or ORC models)I would suggest something that more outwardly resembles a standard USGI M4 carbine and then modifying it if needed.  S&W does have one in this configuration that is ban compliant.   Other good makes are the Colt MT6400, LMT, and armalite.   Spikes tactical is good too and can be had ban compliant as well.  Lots to learn there, but were happy to help, so ask away.

Sorry about that, yesterday was a long day and the fingers didn't type what the brain was thinking. I can't believe all the options there are for these guns. I'm looking for a mil spec style ar. But would like a scope.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry about that, yesterday was a long day and the fingers didn't type what the brain was thinking. I can't believe all the options there are for these guns. I'm looking for a mil spec style ar. But would like a scope.

Yup.  Gotcha!

I would still keep with a standard M4 style  carbine to start.  The fixed front sight will not interfere with most scopes up to about 10-12x power.  And that would be a lot of glass for a carbine.   Prob look at 4-6x magnification, but that is another topic all together.

Do you have a budget that you would like to stick to?  If you'd like, I would be happy to make a few suggestions.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I was kind of planning to buy the package deal hoffmans was running and then just add any parts I wanted. Then I was planning to build one with spare parts. I'd like to keep in around 1k. So I figured $600 for the m&p an then another $150 for ammo and just decide what I want from there. Is that a bad idea?
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Not at all.   Is it the M&P sport?   That is getting good reviews
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not at all.   Is it the M&P sport?   That is getting good reviews

Noob here as well.

I just purchased my first firearm. Ended up purchasing the M&P Sport from Hoffman's for $638 out the door. K5 wanted 799 (before tax) for the same gun, ridiculous. Seeing I don't have any type of permit I need to wait 2 weeks. I'm 25 minutes from Wooster Mt. State Park & High Rock so I have at least have few places nearby to shoot

Sorry for high jacking this thread.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7024/6483134417_1f12cba97e_z.jpg
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Sweet,I think I'm going to go to hoffman's tomorrow. That gun is awesome, I just wish it had the top grab rail/handle but not a show stopper. If you listed the dui on the paper work I doubt it will be an issue. It listed the type's of crimes that would be an issue on the paper work. Are you able to walk out with the gun same day even if it's a weekend?

Matt
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#28]
So what is ct's deal with a collapsable stock? This version collapses like 3" why is it banned? How is the stock pinned? Roll pin?

Matt
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So what is ct's deal with a collapsable stock? This version collapses like 3" why is it banned? How is the stock pinned? Roll pin?

Matt

I'm not sure if it's pinned or it's a complete fixed stock, I'll let you know once i pick it up in a few weeks

From what I understand CT still has the original Assault Weapons ban implemented by the Clinton Administration.

Per jud.ct.gov

"Assault weapon" means any one of the following:

1.         Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:  Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 Carbien type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 Series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; USI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol.

2.         A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (1) may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

3.         Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) that meets the following criteria:

(A)  A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i.          a folding or telescopic stock;

ii.          a pistol grip;

iii.         a bayonet mount;

iv.         a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

v.         a grenade launcher."

additional info can be found here: http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Finding a place to shoot  seems to be an issue. I tried Pachaug but they need a sponsor and have a waiting list. It also seems that the local clubs won't allow non member to shoot ar's. I've been looking at Bradford sportsmen club in charlestown RI. Looks to be a real nice place. It's a bit of a haul though. If anyone is a member of a good club with open membership let me know. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sweet,I think I'm going to go to hoffman's tomorrow. That gun is awesome, I just wish it had the top grab rail/handle but not a show stopper. If you listed the dui on the paper work I doubt it will be an issue. It listed the type's of crimes that would be an issue on the paper work. Are you able to walk out with the gun same day even if it's a weekend?

Matt

The convictions that are listed are per-se disqualifiers. The behavior that prdicated a non-per-se disqualifying conviction or (non)-arrest, even, can be substantiation for a a suitability denial. Though, more likely than not, with a lone conviction that far in the past- it probably wouldn't be a problem unless you have a reputation around town as being a wicked drunk who has somehow managed to avoid being arrested/ convicted recently.

With a permit you can, in theory, buy 24/7/365 and take it home with you then and there. Some people clear IVR no problem, others get temp denied. I have never been able to buy anything ouside of DPS operating hours. I have something on lay-a-way at Cabelas right now for that very reason. When I am finally able to bring it home, I'll be on my third trip up there for that gun (1. picked out gun, workers were busy, could not get call in before closing- temp denied (IVR) 2. Highway shutdown on my way up there, sat in traffic for a long time, get to counter that is packed, state closes 3. ??? (maybe...)
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I know of a few people that got their ccw after a DUI.   Not sure about the circumstances between the DUI and issuance of CCW, but it does happen.  This being CT, there is always a hoop to jump through.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Edit: Nevermind
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#34]
It seems like they try to dicourage you to persue the permit. I'm suprized that they don't have two permits. One for purchasing a hand gun and the other for cc. I hope not to have any issues since I have no arrest or anything in my background. I'm gonna wait till the new year to purchase the AR since I can kill two birds with one stone. Get my hunting license and the AR. Since I have no place to shoot it I guess there's no rush.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It seems like they try to dicourage you to persue the permit. I'm suprized that they don't have two permits. One for purchasing a hand gun and the other for cc. I hope not to have any issues since I have no arrest or anything in my background. I'm gonna wait till the new year to purchase the AR since I can kill two birds with one stone. Get my hunting license and the AR. Since I have no place to shoot it I guess there's no rush.

Matt

There is a permit to purchase pistols, but that is another can of worms and nobody knows how it works.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've been a longtime lurker and finally took the plunge. I've got two questions I'm hoping to get  answered. First, I know the ct law says there's no waiting period to purchase a rifle if you have a ct hunting license or have a pistol permit in the state. Does that apply to ar's? I'm currently in the waiting process for my pistol permit but I do have my ct big game tag. So would I be able to head to say Hoffman's and buy one of there ar packages without waiting?

Second, does anyone know of Northeastern CT gun clubs that allow shooting ar's at there range? Would traveling to and RI range be legal? Thanks

Matt

Go to Sprague Rod and Gun on the 2nd and 4th sunday of the month for IDPA.  Get to know some of the members there and they will probably sponsor you for membership in the club.

http://www.spraguerodandgun.com/index.html

Link Posted: 12/14/2011 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt

There is a permit to purchase pistols, but that is another can of worms and nobody knows how it works.

It's as simple as taking an acceptable pistol course (e.g. the same NRA course, or alternative, that is accepted for a carry permit application), filling out the same DPS-799c application you fill out to apply for a carry permit (check the Eligibility Certificate line) and fingerprint BG check (some sources on OCDO suggest that having a carry permit would negate the need for that and vise versa). Approval is purely contingent on not being per-se disqualified.

Purchasing would be the same, except they would calll it in as a long gun/ handgun/ other going out on a certificate instead of a permit.

Not a complicated concept, and not much reason for most people to have one, but they exist.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 4:03:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt

Go to Sprague Rod and Gun on the 2nd and 4th sunday of the month for IDPA.  Get to know some of the members there and they will probably sponsor you for membership in the club.

http://www.spraguerodandgun.com/index.html

Thanks KOW, It doesn't mention needing a sponsor on there site. It looks like a decent club, and it real close. Thanks for the tip.

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I haven't made it to Hoffman's yet since I live on the ct/ri border. But I stopped by a local gun shop and low and behold a M&P15 just in. The salesman was very helpful and gave me alot of info on the AR's they had.
So I ask the price and he tells me $725+ tax. So I ask if they'd match Hoffman's price and he tells they cannot. I'm kind of thinking that supporting a local shop is the way to ge here. Once you add up the fuel to get to Hoffman's twice. I'm sure it will be $100 in fuel. Or is it the type of place(Hoffman's) that you just have to see?

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I haven't made it to Hoffman's yet since I live on the ct/ri border. But I stopped by a local gun shop and low and behold a M&P15 just in. The salesman was very helpful and gave me alot of info on the AR's they had.
So I ask the price and he tells me $725+ tax. So I ask if they'd match Hoffman's price and he tells they cannot. I'm kind of thinking that supporting a local shop is the way to ge here. Once you add up the fuel to get to Hoffman's twice. I'm sure it will be $100 in fuel. Or is it the type of place(Hoffman's) that you just have to see?

It's kind of hard to say if you've never been.  From my viewpoint, I'd say no.  But for somebody that has never been, it might be worth the trip if you have half a day to kill.  That way you can hit up Newington Gun Exchange, BMG and maybe even Cabelas all in one trip.  I'm not going to say anything bad about Hoffman's other than that they are easily the largest shop in the state and that comes with good and bad.  It certainly isn't going to knock you over.  It is just a big gun store.  If you can hit up NGX and BMG in the same trip, def worth it so you can get to know the local market.  Both of these guys have the really interesting stuff.

For $725 vs $600?  Tell your local guy that you'll take it for $725 including taxes credit card, or $700 including taxes paid in cash.    See what he says.  It's year end and they all want more cash and less inventory.   Right now my time is more valuable than my money up to a certain point, so I'd pay a premium to just get the thing now.  (Not quite worth the $100, but I don't live on the RI border either).  I like supporting the smaller shops too.  I don't try to soak them, but a little $ off the top goes a long way to earning my business.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I figured it out and it will still be $100 cheaper to buy from Hoffman's Since the sport comes with a 10 round mag and I want 30 I'd be able to get more mags and ammo and still be cheaper than the local place. I've been to Cabelas many times, it's quite a plce but alot of high prices. I hope to head to Hoffman's today so maybe I'll be posting pics of the new toy later.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, I bought the M&P Sport today at Hoffman's the place was crazy busy so I didn't  get any pics. But I needed to wait the 14 days since I forgot I didn't buy a ct hunting licesnse this year. I could have bought one and then just went and brought the gun home but since the town clerks office was closed I didn't feel like driving all over for a useless Licesnse(since deer season is over). Once I get my pistol permit back I shouldn't have to wait anymore. I guess in the meantime I'll start getting some goodies,ammo sling more 30 round mags. I'm super excited.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Congrats on your purchase!
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for all the info guys I can't wait to shoot it. I'm also looking for a 9mm to go along with my new AR. I was also eyeing a Mossberg home defense shotgun thay had on special. I was pretty impressed with Hoffmans but it was way too busy. I hope to return on a weekday when they aren't so busy. Cabela's was also crazy busy.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the onfo guysI can't wait to shoot it. I'm also looking for a 9mm to go along with my new AR. I was also eyeing a Mossberg home defense shotgun thay had on special. I was pretty impressed with Hoffmans but it was way too busy. I hope to return on a weekday when they aren't so busy. Cabela's was also crazy busy.

Matt

Glock 19/17
S&W M&P / M&Pc

Next time hit up newington gun exchange too.

And now that you have an AR, jojo's in Southimgton is well worth it.

Hit me up with a PM, I'll let you try a few.  I have range access east of the river.  Break in that new carbine too
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well, I bought the M&P Sport today at Hoffman's the place was crazy busy so I didn't  get any pics. But I needed to wait the 14 days since I forgot I didn't buy a ct hunting licesnse this year. I could have bought one and then just went and brought the gun home but since the town clerks office was closed I didn't feel like driving all over for a useless Licesnse(since deer season is over). Once I get my pistol permit back I shouldn't have to wait anymore. I guess in the meantime I'll start getting some goodies,ammo sling more 30 round mags. I'm super excited.

Matt

I pick mine up at Hoffman's next week, I can't wait!. Like you I had to wait 14 days. While waiting I bought a Hogue grip and an old EOTech 511 on Ebay.

Quoted:
I'm also looking for a 9mm to go along with my new AR.

Matt

I'm thinking the same. I take a Pistol Permit course next month, then if CT decides to approve me I'll be picking up either the  S&W SD 9mm or the like in the spring.

Link Posted: 12/17/2011 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
From what I understand CT still has the original Assault Weapons ban implemented by the Clinton Administration.

Just an FYI, the CT AWB is/was independent from the Federal AWB. The Federal AWB sunset (expired) in 2004, ours does not expire. Also our AWB does not ban 30 round magazines unlike Fed AWB when it was in effect.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Matt

I pick mine up at Hoffman's next week, I can't wait!. Like you I had to wait 14 days. While waiting I bought a Hogue grip and an old EOTech 511 on Ebay.

Quoted:
I'm also looking for a 9mm to go along with my new AR.

Matt

I'm thinking the same. I take a Pistol Permit course next month, then if CT decides to approve me I'll be picking up either the  S&W SD 9mm or the like in the spring.

The course is pretty fun(at least mine was) I'm about 4 weeks into the wait for approval on my permit. I was going to wait till the first of the year and just by my hunting license but I've been wanting to buy a hand gun and the deal at Hoffman's was too good to pass on. The guy told me the sale price is gone soon. While I was there they sold 5 of the M&P sports so I'm glad I got one at this price.  The salesman told me that the pistol permit was the way to go even for rifles. He said the state calls it the gold card and they almost never have issues. But the hunting license is not always 100% for what ever reason.

I"m thinking I'm going to wait till I fire the gun before deciding on any sight changes. As I may end up with a scope.  Feel free to post some pics of your's when you get it, in this thread. I guess I can live vicariously through you till  I get mine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Finally picked it up. Mounted the EOTech 511 and Houge Grip. Hoffmans was PACKED, who would of thought on a Wednesday evening. It literally took me nearly 2 hours to get a sales person to get the riffle and have me fill out the paper work. I also picked up 400 rounds of Federal for 150-, not the best deal around but at least I have it for the range next week.

Crappy cell pic

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6552030683_84990d1a80_b.jpg
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top