Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2011 9:29:05 AM EDT
I'm planning on swapping the Gas block out on my SAR-1 to finish debanning it. I have access to the tools but If anybody knows somebody local that has experience with AK building I'd gladly pay a "babysitting fee" for them to watch me and make sure I don't mess it up. I'd rather do the work myself than take it to a gunsmith but I also don't want to mess up the rifle by doing something incorrectly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I just went into my IM's to see who it was in NH that was going to help me with my SAR-1.  Some guy named PreemptiveStrike.  Look him up.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just went into my IM's to see who it was in NH that was going to help me with my SAR-1.  Some guy named PreemptiveStrike.  Look him up.

That guys a dumbass.

I'm stepping into new territory so I want to make sure I don't mess it up. I've looked up things online but every video I've watched was somebody removing and installing the FSB and gas block on an unassembled rifle before the barrel was in the reciever. Just want to make sure that putting that much force on the rear sight block/trunnion won't hurt it at all.

Now the real question is will the mods lock this thread for my COC violation of calling myself a dumbass?

ETA: Still be glad to help with yours.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now the real question is will the mods lock this thread for my COC violation of calling myself a dumbass?

Maybe you can claim the "Truth in Advertising" exclusion.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe you can claim the "Truth in Advertising" exclusion.  

Schitzophrenic call-out thread!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guys a dumbass.

I'm stepping into new territory so I want to make sure I don't mess it up. I've looked up things online but every video I've watched was somebody removing and installing the FSB and gas block on an unassembled rifle before the barrel was in the reciever. Just want to make sure that putting that much force on the rear sight block/trunnion won't hurt it at all.

Maybe locking the barrel into a vice with blocks would lessen the force on the trunnion?  I really appreciate the offer.  I have been working 6 days a week though lately .
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That guys a dumbass.

Maybe locking the barrel into a vice with blocks would lessen the force on the trunnion?  I really appreciate the offer.  I have been working 6 days a week though lately .

Yeah I have looked up the "how to" stuff online but everything I've seen was for a barrel that wasn't already on the rifle. I just don't want to put too much force on a part and end up tweaking something. I don't think that will be the case but you never know. I can't imagine that they are pressed on with enough force to actually bend/break something. Like I said I really want to do the work myself. The Gas block should be here today and I'm probably going to my friends shop that has the tools tomorrow and we'll see how things go.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Done.

I also extended the threads to go just under the FSB the "proper" way.

wesmerc if you ever get the itch it was easy with the right tools.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice job on the furniture, too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice job on the furniture, too.

Thank you. I don't know if you ever saw my thread I posted in the Romanian section when I first got it but it was a complete mess.

Here is what it used to look like

There's also a pick of the chinese NHM-90 I debanned in there. If only I could find a cheap gas block for that......

Also, I saw your ad for the 12 mags you have and was like . I really shouldn't as I already have a good stash of them, but the want is there just not the funds. You always post stuff I want just after I've spent my allowance something else.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top