Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 1:18:15 AM EDT
I might be moving to CT for a better job.  I have reviewed the assault weapons laws but I am somewhat confused.  Enclosed is a list of the weapons I am concerned about.

Ruger mini 14 GB model (made in the 80s) with butler creek folding stock, factory banonet lug, factory flashhider. If I pin  the folding stock would the mini 14 then be legal in CT?

Remington 11-87 semi auto shotgun with pistol grip stock, magazine tube extension,  If I replace the pistol grip stock with a thumb hole stock would it then be legal in CT?  Or would I also have to reduce magazine capicity?

Mech tech glock 17 rifle, If I change it to a wire collapsable stock would it still be legal in CT?

I have two clone AR15 both made in 2001.  Both are A1 with full stocks.  Would they be legal if the flash suppressors were replaced with muzzle brakes and the banonet lugs removed?

I thank you in advance for all your help!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Assault Weapon Ban sticky above, the law is there for your viewing pleasure.

The law is hard to understand, but it has 2 parts, named weapons and features.
If your gun is named, you can't bring it in. If your gun is not named, then you must obey the feature list.

The best part about the law is a gun made before Sept 1994 is exempt of evil features. Your free of this BS.

So, I'll do my best to say yes or no to your list of weapons. Don't trust what I say, do your homework too.

Ruger .. Be safe and remove the stock.

Remington .. Your OK NOT Get it corrected, see other posts.
Glock .. Your OK

Both ARs ..   Remove FH and pin breaks on. Remove bayo lug. If it says Colt AR-15 / Colt Sporter (OR OTHER NAMED WEAPON) on the lower don't bring it in.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Might want to re-read the shotgun part again.....   I'd say he has to get rid of the 11-87 stock with the pistol grip as well or reduce the number of rounds it holds.   (no I'm not a lawyer either)

http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

ASSAULT WEAPON.....

3.         Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) that meets the following criteria:.......

(C)  A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

i.          a folding or telescoping stock;

ii.          a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

iii.         a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

iv.         an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't happen often, but I have to disagree with Pain a little.

Since the stock on the Ruger is a Butler Creek, not a factory one, and the gun was made in the 80s, I would say it's OK as is.  The factory folding stock model is banned by name, but aftermarket stocks are OK as long as the rifle is a pre-ban.

Unknown on the Remington.  We have no definitions of "pistol grip" or "thumbhole stock" in the law, so it's impossible to say with any certainty whether or not your Remington would be legal with a thumbhole on it.  We just don't know.  In order to be certain, you would need to reduce the magazine capacity or put a conventional stock back on.

Not that familiar with the Mech tech conversion, but it obviously would have a pistol grip, so no further "evil features" would be allowed.  A wire collapsable stock would be too evil.

The clone ARs would be OK if neutered as you describe.  It might be more cost-effective to sell the original barrels and replace them, rather than chopping, pinning, etc.  Note that once again we are floundering in the dark as to the method of attachment for the brakes.  There are no legal standards for the method of attachment that satisfies the law.  So far, blind pinning has been OK, as has welding.

I hope the new job is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:43:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It doesn't happen often, but I have to disagree with Pain a little.

Since the stock on the Ruger is a Butler Creek, not a factory one, and the gun was made in the 80s, I would say it's OK as is.  The factory folding stock model is banned by name, but aftermarket stocks are OK as long as the rifle is a pre-ban.

Unknown on the Remington.  We have no definitions of "pistol grip" or "thumbhole stock" in the law, so it's impossible to say with any certainty whether or not your Remington would be legal with a thumbhole on it.  We just don't know.  In order to be certain, you would need to reduce the magazine capacity or put a conventional stock back on.

Not that familiar with the Mech tech conversion, but it obviously would have a pistol grip, so no further "evil features" would be allowed.  A wire collapsable stock would be too evil.

The clone ARs would be OK if neutered as you describe.  It might be more cost-effective to sell the original barrels and replace them, rather than chopping, pinning, etc.  Note that once again we are floundering in the dark as to the method of attachment for the brakes.  There are no legal standards for the method of attachment that satisfies the law.  So far, blind pinning has been OK, as has welding.

I hope the new job is worth it.

I don't know about that one.I have a preban mini and  i have always kept a full stock on it I hope someone comes along and tells me you are right and I am wrong.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I suggest you don't take anyone's word for it on an internet forum.  Go to http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/Law/firearms.htm and look up the actual statute defining Assault Weapons.  (It's 52-202a.)  Read what it says about the Rugers and decide for yourself.

The section that says prebans are OK to buy and have is 53-202m.

The statutes aren't light reading, but if you wade through them carefully a lot of your questions will be answered.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank all of you for your help.  I lived in WA state for about 16 years before moving to NC.  After the federal ban expired, I NEVER expected to be held to those standards again.  What a can of worms!  
One last question (for now).  

Saiga 12 gauge semi auto.  Mine has muzzle brake, pistol grip, high cap mags PLUS folding stock.  I realize the high cap mags are not a problem (YET!) but if I replace the folding stock with a non folding stock, will it more or less be good to go?  

Yeah assuming I get the job, it will be a dream job!  I realize I may be putting the cart before the horse but I wanted to start doing my homework.  Reference our clone AR15s.  They are his and hers.  One is my wife's and one mine.  Both have custom 1x14 rate twist barrels.  If I had to change the uppers, I would probably just sell them complete and get something else.  off the top of my head maybe H&K 93s (.223) or ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:38:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thank all of you for your help.  I lived in WA state for about 16 years before moving to NC.  After the federal ban expired, I NEVER expected to be held to those standards again.  What a can of worms!  

One last question (for now).  
Saiga 12 gauge semi auto.  Mine has muzzle brake, pistol grip, high cap mags PLUS folding stock.  I realize the high cap mags are not a problem (YET!) but if I replace the folding stock with a non folding stock, will it more or less be good to go?  
Yeah assuming I get the job, it will be a dream job!  I realize I may be putting the cart before the horse but I wanted to start doing my homework.  Reference our clone AR15s.  They are his and hers.  One is my wife's and one mine.  Both have custom 1x14 rate twist barrels.  If I had to change the uppers, I would probably just sell them complete and get something else.  off the top of my head maybe H&K 93s (.223) or ?

In CT the Saiga 12 is only legal in the as-imported version (ie: no pistolgrip, no folding stock).  Putting a pistol grip or a folding stock on it violates the CT AWB because it is already a Semi-automatic shotgun with the 1 evil feature being that it has "the ability to accept detachable magazines"
Now some people say that you can run an 8, 10, or 20shell mag with no CT worries, BUT it would put you in violation of Federal 922(r) because with the 20shell mag the gun is no longer "sporting" and needs to have more US-made parts installed.  Still, other people say the magazine doesn't matter if the gun is otherwise CT legal, but chancing it is up to you.
If you buy a US-made fixed stock and US-made forward grip then you can use US-made 20shell magazines and be compliant with both CT law and Federal 922(r)
ETA 53-202a Section C

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following: (if you have only 1 feature you are GTG)

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine (Saiga 12 has this, and cannot have any other features in this section without being considered AW)

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]
(C)  A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
i.          a folding or telescoping stock;
ii.          a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
iii.         a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
iv.         an ability to accept a detachable magazine

Does the 11-87 accept detachable magazine?

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The 11-87 is semi auto and has a magazine tube that holds 8 rounds.  Currently it has a full stock(choate) with a pistol grip.  But I plan on puttting the original conventional stock back on the gun if I get the job CT.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:Since the stock on the Ruger is a Butler Creek, not a factory one, and the gun was made in the 80s, I would say it's OK as is.  The factory folding stock model is banned by name, but aftermarket stocks are OK as long as the rifle is a pre-ban.

Yes I agree with you, I was being conservative because the gun is a named gun with a folding stock (in that first section).

I'm no lawyer or state trooper, but there is a small chance he could get hassled at a public range if that gun was shown to the right person. IMHO I know it's a old gun, but it's a named gun? Maybe I'm wrong....

This law is written in such a way that the cops could bust you and then you solve the issue in court. Then the state and lawyers made the money. Meanwhile they take your pistol permit and take the rest of your property, until this gets settled in court.

That's why I was being conservative with the Ruger.

Double E is correct on that Remington shotgun. Ain't this law fun or what?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I have got to tell you.  It is making my head swim and my eyes cross.  You should hear some of the nasty things my wife has been saying!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Yup, it's insane, makes no practical sense, and does nothing at all to reduce crime, just wastes money and makes criminals out of people who were trying to comply but got bad info or were confused by the BS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top