Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2010 4:33:29 PM EDT
Is there rifle/shotgun hunting in CT or is it bow only?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a hunter, so I can't answer specifics, but yes, there is rifle hunting on private land and shotgun elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
State Land: In addition to bow season, there is also A (Lottery) and B (No lottery) shotgun season. There is also a black powder rifle shotgun deer season for state land.

State land is very difficult, especially during B season (the deer are already under pressure from A and there is more hunters vying for open spaces). It's all a matter of finding the right spot- which could include looking at some of the smaller, disociated parcels.

Private land: You can use rifles greater that .243/6mm on 10+ acres with owner consent. The is a new season for .357 and up revolvers as well on an additional $5 tag (I'm not too familiar with the specifics). There is also bow, shotgun, and muzzle loaders allowed on private land "regardless of acerage.... (There is some people with bows that are very successful in suburban and even outlying portions of urban communities).
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
damn JAD, you are usually never wrong (pretty close this time anyways)

Quoted:

State Land: In addition to bow season, there is also A (Lottery) and B (No lottery) There are both lottery and no lottery a AND b seasons- which you have decides where you can hunt, how many tags, etc. shotgun season. There is also a black powder muzzleloader rifle shotgun deer season for state land. and private land

State land is very difficult, especially during B season (the deer are already under pressure from A and there is more hunters vying for open spaces). It's all a matter of finding the right spot- which could include looking at some of the smaller, disociated parcels.  yep, there is a shit ton of people in the woods.  but they do tend to move the deer.  stay in place late into morning, ive seen many deer spoken by a cold hunter heading to the car

Private land: You can use rifles greater that .243/6mm on 10+ acres with owner consent. The is a new season for .357 and up revolvers as well on an additional $5 tag (I'm not too familiar with the specifics). There is also bow, shotgun, and muzzle loaders allowed on private land "regardless of acerage.... (There is some people with bows that are very successful in suburban and even outlying portions of urban communities).

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesus Christ that's complicated!

Something tells me that if I wind up moving there I'll be better off getting a non resident NY State permit and hunting my brother's property in Dutcherss County, NY.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Something tells me that if I wind up moving there I'll be better off getting a non resident NY State permit and hunting my brother's property in Dutcherss County, NY.

Been here in CT hunting 20 years, plenty of deer, can take like 10-11 deer with private land and state combined. Took an large 8-pointer last muzzle loader season. Went out to the tree stand @ 2pm, dragged the buck @3pm. Super easy
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been here in CT hunting 20 years, plenty of deer, can take like 10-11 deer with private land and state combined. Took an large 8-pointer last muzzle loader season. Went out to the tree stand @ 2pm, dragged the buck @3pm. Super easy
http://i51.tinypic.com/4v1ljr.jpg

Well done Sir!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice buck!  

I've had my hunting license and tags for 2 years but aside from taking a quick stroll through the woods (private land) I haven't ever truly hunted.  Maybe this year I can tag along with my drummer on one of his hunting trips...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And in zones 11 and 12 (the SW part of the state) you can score a metric shit ton of venison without getting out of your PJ's.  I (legally) bow hunt from my bedroom window on some mornings, using only scent to lure them in.    

*thwaaack* *crunch* *gallop* *sound of slut shuffling to kitchen to make a pot of coffee* .... retrieve bambi an hour later.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Can you bow hunt from a permanent structure in 11-12?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:45:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can you bow hunt from a permanent structure in 11-12?

i don't recall anything in the regs that forbids it.  correct me if i'm wrong.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:20:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I got bow certified last year and the instructors kept going on about non-permanent structures, but I don't remember if it was for state land only, though.  I do remember that what the bow instructors said was the exact opposite of what the firearms hunting instructor said and when I questioned them on it they basically said STFU or you will confuse the rest of the class  

I'll have to dig out my books and check, unfortunately I don't remember everything...
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got bow certified last year and the instructors kept going on about non-permanent structures, but I don't remember if it was for state land only, though.  I do remember that what the bow instructors said was the exact opposite of what the firearms hunting instructor said and when I questioned them on it they basically said STFU or you will confuse the rest of the class  

I'll have to dig out my books and check, unfortunately I don't remember everything...

LOL.

My takeaway from bow hunter safety:

1) don't fall out of a tree (it could kill you)
2) don't ccw while bowhunting in CT (illegal)
3) don't poach.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:42:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.

3) don't poach.  

That right there should be the whole safety class.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.

3) don't poach.  

That right there should be the whole safety class.

I think they should at least add dont shoot anyone (even if they are liberal vegans harassing you)

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think the "non-permanent structures" rule only relates to turkey hunting, although I haven't read the regs in a few years.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=452546&depNav_GID=1633
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top