Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 4:00:05 AM EDT
is there a limit to how short your SBR can be in CT? i vaguely remember reading somewhere that there may be a limit of 12". something about it then meeting the criteria of a pistol in CT.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#1]
check the preban thread for recent discussion on this topic.

It is near impossible to do unless you go preban that was already a pistol before the ban.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have a SBR with a barrel 12" or less, then it is classified as both a pistol (any firearm with barrel less than 12") AND a rifle (firearm designed to be fired from shoulder), because there is no definition in CT law for SBR.

The reason this becomes a problem is because of the lovely AWB we have in CT, and the "pistol" section.  

You can't build a new AR-15 pistol without complying with the below statutes:

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.

B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine (as in AR-15) and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; AR-15 has this

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;  AR-15 barrels are usually threaded (but could have a muzzlebreak pinned/welded)

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; (AR-15s have handguards)

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and That's the big one to deal with

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm

Lots of info here:
http://www.jud.ct.gov/LawLib/law/firearms.htm

ETA
If you decide to go SBR under 12" barrel length then it is not a bad idea to put it on a preban lower, then anything goes, provided it has a stock on it.
If you decide you want an AR15 pistol, you will need to go with an Olympic AR pistol (preban), Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S pistol, or the "swiss cheese" Olympic OA98 AR pistol

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#3]
is a preban sbr less than 12" is good to go?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, as long as it's not one of the specific makes and models that are banned by name in the first part of the AWB.

Of course, it might still be regarded as a "pistol or revolver" under our screwed up laws, so you will need a pistol permit to buy it or carry it around.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Looks cool, but not sure if want.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
the thread title may have been misleading

i am not asking about building a pistol. i just wanted to know if you can legally assemble an SBR with a preban rifle lower and a barrel shorter than 12 inches.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

i am not asking about building a pistol. i just wanted to know if you can legally assemble an SBR with a preban rifle lower and a barrel shorter than 12 inches.

Yes
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I know that local shops will go down to 7.5".  

The actual law was already posted.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
just double checking. thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:31:35 AM EDT
[#10]

There's nothing wrong with your thread title- the problem lies with CT law.  Here's the definition of "pistol or revolver" in CT law:

"Pistol" or "revolver" means any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches;

This means that your SBR, even though it has a shoulder stock and would not be regarded as a pistol by any sane individual, would fall under the definition of "pistol" under state law.

Stupid, but true.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with your thread title- the problem lies with CT law.  Here's the definition of "pistol or revolver" in CT law:

"Pistol" or "revolver" means any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches;

This means that your SBR, even though it has a shoulder stock and would not be regarded as a pistol by any sane individual, would fall under the definition of "pistol" under state law.

Stupid, but true.

So any barrel length is fine in CT, it however may be consider a rifle since a stock is present and a pistol since it under 12"? is that correct?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid, but true.

So any barrel length is fine in CT, it however may be consider a rifle since a stock is present and a pistol since it under 12"? is that correct?

Yes, get your pistol permit if you plan to bring the sub-12" SBR anywhere because of the pistol status, but you have to transport it unloaded and locked because of the rifle status.  
Isn't it fun navigating the laws here in CT?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#13]

If I'm not mistaken, that's the same gun I have. It's one of the Oly AR-15 pistols (of course mine is the non removable magazine CT compliant version ).

BTW it's pretty impractical as a pistol, but fun as hell to shoot.

For the OP, I too want to build a sub 12" SBR. I already have a preban, and when and if I get the money, I want to get that PWS Diablo upper.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, that's the same gun I have. It's one of the Oly AR-15 pistols (of course mine is the non removable magazine CT compliant version ).

BTW it's pretty impractical as a pistol, but fun as hell to shoot.

For the OP, I too want to build a sub 12" SBR. I already have a preban, and when and if I get the money, I want to get that PWS Diablo upper.

I have a PWS Diablo in 7.62 on hold, waiting for my form 1 to come back cant wait...........
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

yes.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
To all of the CTers that spew the "both a rifle and a pistol" argument :

When a state resident has a legal <12" SBR with the appropriate form, what inept police officer is going to run you in for an AWB violation?

If an officer sees your SBR and starts asking questions, producing the appropriate form1/4 will satisfy him. They know less about gun laws than we do, generally speaking.

An SBR is not a pistol! It's a short barrel RIFLE!

The only officer that would run you in for a post-ban <12" SBR is a bored ARFcommer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I have multiple SBR's on pre-ban lowers with <12" barrels on the form 1.
If it is good with the ATF it is good with me..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top