Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 7:50:55 AM EDT
If I were to put a bullet button on an AR10, could I legally have a threaded barrel (or in my case, an un-pinned JP Bennie Cooley muzzle brake)?

I plan on ordering a Krieger M110 barrel and dont want to have to pin anything to it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#1]
This must be one of those CT questions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#2]
you betcha!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#3]
That's the first I've heard of the Bullet Button.  I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig in court on that one, but I have thought about bolting in a mag (permanently) so I could do whatever I want to the rest of the rifle (here in CT). I've certainly got enough stripped lowers hanging around that it wouldn't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I were to put a bullet button on an AR10, could I legally have a threaded barrel (or in my case, an un-pinned JP Bennie Cooley muzzle brake)?

I plan on ordering a Krieger M110 barrel and dont want to have to pin anything to it.

Thanks!

It would depend on if CT views the BB the same way California does...I guess, technically speaking, the magazine still is detachable...  BTW, I'm not saying that I agree with it still being "detachable" I'm just saying that, with wingnuts like Lawlor, et al, and their severe cases of cranio-rectal inversion, you never know how they'll interpret it...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The bullet button meets specific criteria/language that's in California law.  There's no similar language in Connecticut law.  The topic has been raised on this forum and others and there's no warm & fuzzy.  

Anyone wishing to be test case will get a free medium-sized bag of pretzel M&Ms for their efforts.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Alrighty

So much for wishful thinking.  While I'd love the free bag of M&M's, I'll have to pass on being the test case.  I wouldn't do well in prison.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's one explanation for a bullet button. Confused me too. Its a CA thing.

While it apparently satisfies the CA AWB regulations (if used with magazines that are 10 rounds or less), don't know if CT would also accept it. I wouldn't want to be the test case when our AWB clearly state's; "ability to accept a detachable magazine". And all the bullet button conversion does is modify the magazine release so that a "tool" is required to release the magazine.

The other option, short of buying a pre-ban lower, is to do away with the pistol grip on the AR. Someone once posted a link to a rifle stock or gip for an AR that didn't have a pistol grip or didn't have a grip that "protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon". Looked fuggly, but its a possible workaround for having a threaded barrel.

ETA: OK fround a link and pictures of fuggly AR stock without pistol grip. Here's the apparently CA legal stock for AR's to get around the pistol grip issue. Its called a "U-15" or something like that. More info including places to possibly order it can be found in this 2007 Calguns.com thread. Unknown if CT legal though.

ETA2: There are also these guys who sell a non pistol grip device to replace the pistol grip that is apparently CA compliant. They are used with an A2 style stock. Don't know if CT would see this as legal.
http://www.monstermangrip.com/
Monstermangrip.com Legal Info

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

While it apparently satisfies the CA AWB regulations (if used with magazines that are 10 rounds or less), don't know if CT would also accept it. I wouldn't want to be the test case when our AWB clearly state's; "ability to accept a detachable magazine". And all the bullet button conversion does is modify the magazine release so that a "tool" is required to release the magazine.

The other option, short of buying a pre-ban lower, is to do away with the pistol grip on the AR. Someone once posted a link to a rifle stock or gip for an AR that didn't have a pistol grip or didn't have a grip that "protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon". Looked fuggly, but its a possible workaround for having a threaded barrel.

ETA: OK fround a link and pictures of fuggly AR stock without pistol grip. Here's the apparently CA legal stock for AR's to get around the pistol grip issue. Its called a "U-15" or something like that. More info including places to possibly order it can be found in this 2007 Calguns.com thread. Unknown if CT legal though.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/California%20Rifles%20U-15%20Stock/U15StockKit-480.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/California%20Rifles%20U-15%20Stock/U-15Rifle-M4.jpg

ETA2: There are also these guys who sell a non pistol grip device to replace the pistol grip that is apparently CA compliant. They are used with an A2 style stock. Don't know if CT would see this as legal.

http://www.monstermangrip.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_1de38/02MMGARside.jpg

I saw an even better stock on a Remington AR at Hoffman's last weekend.

Florida Gun Works sells the stocks in black for $119.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
B-Croft!

I guess your going to have to get a pre-ban sr-25!

RJ
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I kind of like that U15 stock
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/California%20Rifles%20U-15%20Stock/U15StockKit-480.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Toolbox-X/California%20Rifles%20U-15%20Stock/U-15Rifle-M4.jpg

http://www.monstermangrip.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_1de38/02MMGARside.jpg

I saw an even better stock on a Remington AR at Hoffman's last weekend.
http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/picture-7-15.png

Florida Gun Works sells the stocks in black for $119.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone had to say it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]

AR10 has been around longer than the AR15.  I'll see what I can dig up.  Pre-eagle arms armalite that is.  Have to be 60's to 70's  production.

EDIT:  Looks like they do exist, but you might as well get the Knight's rifle.    Seems to mainly be Portuguese rifles that found their way back here, and they are pricey.  Probably get a better answer over on Sturm, than from me.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
B-Croft!

I guess your going to have to get a pre-ban sr-25!

RJ

I thought about it but for now, I figured I would spend the extra $$ on some goodies.

With any luck, this state will get rid of the AWB and then I can buy an actual M110

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are no AR10s on the banned list.  AR10 is an Armalite.  I don't know if they made any pre '94 AR10s.

There are some preban KAC SR25s, though.

AR10 has been around longer than the AR15.  I'll see what I can dig up.  Pre-eagle arms armalite that is.  Have to be 60's to 70's  production.

EDIT:  Looks like they do exist, but you might as well get the Knight's rifle.    Seems to mainly be Portuguese rifles that found their way back here, and they are pricey.  Probably get a better answer over on Sturm, than from me.

That's kinda of what I was getting at.  Although they existed for a long time they weren't exactly sold on the commercial market in the way that ARs have been for years.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]

If your not going to run a can, I would just save myself the hassle and money and forget about getting the barrel threaded.  Do you really need the muzzle brake?

I was going to build .308 AR a while back and changed my mind, I was going to to go with a Krieger barrel also.  If you go with the MK11 Service barrel expect a wait, but not as long if they build you a custom spec'd barrel.  Last time I was on the phone with someone as Krieger he said they try to stock the service barrel but still may a be a few months.  If you wanted a different barrel expect about 6 months turn around or more.

The extra time lets you save up for more parts

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top