Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2010 3:44:16 PM EDT
Hi guys.
A buddy in MA is interested in buildig an AR-type SBR in a pistol cal using glock mags.   He has a stripped lower (AR) but I'm trying to push him to the lone wolf lower sized for the glock mags...

Either way, what is the process of building a SBR in MA ?  I'm very familiar with the NFA side of things, but I'm unfamiliar with the MA side of it.    What is required in the state for posession ?  Does an FID cover it ?  Or does it fall under class-B LTC since it could take a hicap mag?  Or does it go under class-A LTC since it could take a hicap pistol mag???

Build the SBR then sumbit a FA-10 form saying exactly what ? Or the FA10 and a copy of the Form4 ?

- and is it still true that a SBR doesn't need to meet the MA AWB since it's not a rifle ?

Ahhhhh HELP !!! Any advice ?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going through the process right now here in MA.

There are no special licenses needed for an SBR here in MA, only MG's.  If your friend can legally possess an AR15, he can legally possess an SBR'd AR15.

If the lower being used as the host for an SBR is a post-ban, then yes, it must comply with the MA AWB.  I've heard both ways argued, so I contacted Chief Ron Glidden of Lee, MA (THE firearms law authority in state) and he said that the AWB will still apply.  That's why I got another pre-ban lower to use for the host.

Now, state registration.  If your friend already has his lower registered on an FA-10 when he purchased it, then he's all set.  If not, when he gets his Form 1 back and assembles the SBR, just fill out the FA-10 as he would for any other completed AR15.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't want to hijack this thread but if I could get a MA related  question answered I would really appreciate it.  My son bought a house in MA and is applying for his necessary permits.  He has already taken the course and is doing the paperwork as we speak.  I bought him two RAR (AWB-pinned muzzle brake-pinned stock-10 round mags) Operator series rifles that I believe are ma compliant.  Does a FDI card cover these or does he have to go for a LTC A or B also does he have to have a high capacity permit to own these rifles?  Thanks a lot.  I went to the approved firearms list and MA seems pretty confusing.
Thanks again,
Mike

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=461
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't want to hijack this thread but if I could get a MA related  question answered I would really appreciate it.  My son bought a house in MA and is applying for his necessary permits.  He has already taken the course and is doing the paperwork as we speak.  I bought him two RAR (AWB-pinned muzzle brake-pinned stock-10 round mags) Operator series rifles that I believe are ma compliant.  Does a FDI card cover these or does he have to go for a LTC A or B also does he have to have a high capacity permit to own these rifles?  Thanks a lot.  I went to the approved firearms list and MA seems pretty confusing.
Thanks again,
Mike

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=461

The permitting process can be confusing here in MA.  I'm not 100% sure of this, but I believe that a Class B permit is the minimum to cover an AR.  LenS should be stopping in soon, so hopefully he can shed more light on this.  I believe an FID card is only good for non-large capacity long guns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks again,
Mike

Your threadjack was sucessfull. A class B LTC is required for hicap-capable rifles.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are no special licenses needed for an SBR here in MA, only MG's.  If your friend can legally possess an AR15, he can legally possess an SBR'd AR15.

If the lower being used as the host for an SBR is a post-ban, then yes, it must comply with the MA AWB.  I've heard both ways argued, so I contacted Chief Ron Glidden of Lee, MA (THE firearms law authority in state) and he said that the AWB will still apply.  That's why I got another pre-ban lower to use for the host.

Now, state registration.  If your friend already has his lower registered on an FA-10 when he purchased it, then he's all set.  If not, when he gets his Form 1 back and assembles the SBR, just fill out the FA-10 as he would for any other completed AR15.

So when you send in the form 1 for the SBR build (or 4 for transfer as SBR) , do you need to also submit a copy of a FID or LTC-B with the F1/F4 to prove that you are legal in your state (as you would supply a copy of your green card for a MG form 4) ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So when you send in the form 1 for the SBR build (or 4 for transfer as SBR) , do you need to also submit a copy of a FID or LTC-B with the F1/F4 to prove that you are legal in your state (as you would supply a copy of your green card for a MG form 4) ?

I'm glad you mentioned that before I sent mine out!  Yes, when I did my Form 4 for my Reising last year, I sent a copy of my MA Green Card.  I'll send a copy of my Class A with the Form 1 for the SBR.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad you mentioned that before I sent mine out!  Yes, when I did my Form 4 for my Reising last year, I sent a copy of my MA Green Card.  I'll send a copy of my Class A with the Form 1 for the SBR.  

What if the SBR is owned by a trust ?  I assume a trust cannot be issued a LTC-B (or A, or FID, for that matter)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]
You need pre- ban mags so make your host selection with that in mind.

Ten round Glock mags not so fun.  Pre 94 17 or 33 rounders are expensive in state and post ban ones are probabably a felony to posses.

Follow up with the BATF after you go pending.

They get confused and some times deny MA residents in error.

This started when our AG sent a letter reminding them short barrel shot guns were not legal in MA

I learned this the hard way- took an extra six months to straighten out.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You need pre- ban mags so make your host selection with that in mind.

Ten round Glock mags not so fun.  Pre 94 17 or 33 rounders are expensive in state and post ban ones are probabably a felony to posses.

Follow up with the BATF after you go pending.

They get confused and some times deny MA residents in error.

This started when our AG sent a letter reminding them short barrel shot guns were not legal in MA

I learned this the hard way- took an extra six months to straighten out.

Roger that. I had a 5320.20 for a SBR into MA that got hung up when you posted about your SBR F1?F4? approval issues- and right after yours was resolved mine showed up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top