Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 11:21:17 AM EDT
Well I'm about to bite the bullet and go the sbr route for my ar.. been a while comming.. but funds etc have made it not happen sooner..

Since lovely CT likes to moderate me so much I need to have a bareel length over 12 inches... now...

10.3 inch DD barrel + 2.25 inch troy claymore muzzle break = 12.05 inches correct?

10.3+2.25=12.55-.5 (for barrel threads on muzzle end) = 12.05..

Barrel length is determined from end thread to end thread correct?

And yes its sunday already.. but from what i've seen this hasn't been covered lately.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
perm attach the brake and you are g2g
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you just go preban?

The length calculation is chamber end of barrel to the muzzle... Or the end of a permanently-attached muzzle device.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't have 600$ to spend on a preban.... Why do people always suggest a different anwser to questions... And ya it will be perm attached... Just wanted to make sure it would ne considered 12 inches.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I am missing something.
Why do you need a barrel longer than 12"?

In any event the barrel length is measured from the closed bolt to the end of the barrel.
The end of the barrel will include the length of any brake permanently attached.
The best way to do this is to close the bolt on the empty gun then use a cleaning rod inserted down the barrel.
Mark the spot on the rod where the barrel ends and measure.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Because any barrels under 12 inches are regulated as pistols.... Per ct state law.. And having the barrel in my possession before the tax stamp would be illegal... So therefore I can't just measure the barrel..  So therefore I need to know what point the barrel is measured from... If it's measured from the end of the bolt side threads to the end of the attached muzzle  break then it will be 12.05 inches.. Exactly
Over the legal limit... For an oal around 25.5-26 inches
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You also need to look up the definition of rifle in CT.
I know it is not easy to find and I will look for it tomorrow.

But I can assure you that barrels shorter than 12" are allowed in CT on SBRs.
There are many MP5 clones registered here in CT as SBRs for example.

Also you can pick up any paperwork you need from me right here in Wallingford.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You also need to look up the definition of rifle in CT.

I know it is not easy to find and I will look for it tomorrow.

But I can assure you that barrels shorter than 12" are allowed in CT on SBRs.

There are many MP5 clones registered here in CT as SBRs for example.

Also you can pick up any paperwork you need from me right here in Wallingford.

Joel, this is one of the points of disagreement that several have had in CT and there has been no solid, legal clarification. To your point, there are a number of people who have post-ban <12" barrelled SBRs and to my knowledge, nobody has gotten in any trouble. I'd personally love for this to get resolved once and for all.

The key word that causes me concern in the pistol definition (highlighted below) is the word "any." This wouldn't really matter too much if it were not for the CT AWB... as almost all post-ban SBRs fail to meet the CT AWB's legal requirements if held to the pistol definition.

Here are the definitions:

A "firearm" is any sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other weapon, whether loaded or unloaded from which a shot may be discharged.

A "pistol" or "revolver" is any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches.

A "rifle" is a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Since it says a pistol ANY firearm having under a 12 inch barrel I choose to honor that.... I personally wouldn't want to be the sob on the stand...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't have 600$ to spend on a preban.... Why do people always suggest a different anwser to questions... And ya it will be perm attached... Just wanted to make sure it would ne considered 12 inches.

Because sometimes those answers make more sense.  Personally I'd rather go 11.5" barrel.  Any muzzle brake out there will put you over 12" on that barrel.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Sugesting to spend 600$ rather then a simple point of distance problem is not what I consider a more logical anwser per say. I usually value opinions on the board.. But the whole.. Go spend slot more money instead of anwsering the questions at hand is what I see more then anything... Just what I see.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sugesting to spend 600$ rather then a simple point of distance problem is not what I consider a more logical anwser per say. I usually value opinions on the board.. But the whole.. Go spend slot more money instead of anwsering the questions at hand is what I see more then anything... Just what I see.

BTW, preban lowers are going for a lot lower these days.  It's only about a $200 difference.  Considering you're already spending $200 for a little stamp and the NFA registry is a "forever" issue (no matter what anyone says) I think it would be wiser and possibly cheaper (when considering the expense of the upper mods) for you to think about it a little more.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Why not get your pistol permit?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why not get your pistol permit?

That wouldn't remedy the potential for AWB trouble.

Basically, because of Connecticut's unique state definition of a pistol (and our definition of rifle), a 10.5" SBR could be construed to be concurrently be both a rifle and a pistol (with all the encumbrances of each).

I wouldn't want a post-ban with a 10.5" barrel in my collection.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep, if it wasn't for the AWB, it would be no big deal to have an SBR that was also regarded as being a "pistol".  Just get your carry permit if you didn't have one already and go have fun.

If the firearm can fit the definition of a "pistol", then the criteria for Evil Assault Weapons are different and it makes it tough to come up with a legal SBR.  Does your magazine attach without going through the pistol grip?  Does it weigh more than 50 oz.?  Oops.  Does it have a fore end?  Oops.

Think about putting together an SBR that has no more than one of the following features:

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#15]
This is why I am doing 2 SBRs.  Preban PWA lower with 11.5" and Stag lower with 12"   - Anything goes on the PWA, and once I figure out my "happy length" I can take the 11.5" upper, pin/weld on a brake to make it 12", and put it on the Stag.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#16]
does this discussion of the definition of a pistol vs a rifle have an effect if you have a preban lower?  ie are prebans immune from this definition?

for example:

if a person does NOT have a pistol permit,

DOES have a preban SBR lower,

and attaches a less than 12" barreled upper ...

does this mean he cannot transport the 'firearm' in that configuration?

lets also say this person also owns a regular 16" barreled upper.  Can he attach this 16" upper and transport the 'firearm' to the range, then attach the less than 12" upper and fire away ... and then re-attach the 16" upper for the ride home?  would this be necessary?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

does this discussion of the definition of a pistol vs a rifle have an effect if you have a preban lower?  yes, but only as the pistol definition relates to the CT AWB ie are prebans immune from this definition?  again, only for the CT AWB, not for the pistol permit issue.

for example:

if a person does NOT have a pistol permit,

DOES have a preban SBR lower,

and attaches a less than 12" barreled upper ...

does this mean he cannot transport the 'firearm' in that configuration?  That's correct.  The gun would not have an issue with the CT AWB, but he couldn't transport it because of the lack of the pistol permit.

lets also say this person also owns a regular 16" barreled upper. Can he attach this 16" upper and transport the 'firearm' to the range, then attach the less than 12" upper and fire away ... and then re-attach the 16" upper for the ride home?  The lower (firearm by Federal law) would still be an SBR, but since CT law has no definition of an SBR, it would just be a lower according to CT.  However, once he attaches the <12" barrel, the question would come up about how it got there.  Since the person would be transporting them to the range in his possession, that's pretty damning.  Then again, the criminal jury instructions in CT say that the firearm must be operational at the time be even be considered a firearm, so WTF? would this be necessary?  Don't try to find a loophole here, it's easier and cheaper to just get a pistol permit.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top