Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2010 5:07:21 AM EDT
I remember seeing a topic about SBR in CT.  I have tried to find the laws pertaining to SBR but I couldn't find much.  If someone could point me in the right direction that would be helpful.  I also wanted to know if an exsisting registered rifle could also be registered as an SBR?  Meaning that I could pull off my existing upper and just put on the short. Or do I have to build and register an entirely new one.

Does CT have there own form for this?  I did find that you need to fill out the ATF form 1 on this. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You only need to do federal paperwork for SBS and SBR in Connecticut. Except, when a sub-12" SB firearm is transferred, it needs to be treated as a pistol (DPS paperwork, auth #) in addition to the federal fun.

You can convert your regular rifle or shotgun into an SBS or SBR after the approved f1 is received.

Regarding general legality-
Connecticut law says nothing about SBR legality.
Connecticut law hinges SBS legality on federal legality.

Carry/ Transport
Connecticut has a funky law defining all firearms with barrels under 12" as pistols. We also define all stocked,  rifled bore firearms as rifles and stocked smoothe-bore firearms as  shotguns. It is possible for somthing to meet multiple criteria.
You CAN NOT carry or transport a <12" SBR, SBS, or AOW without a Permit to Carry. However, if it has a stock on it, you can't carry/ transport it loaded in a motor vehicle or on a public roadway.
You may carry or transport a 12" or greater SB firearm without a carry permit.

AWB
NFA registration does NOT cancel our AWB.
Post-ban Sub-12" SBS and SBR need to be compliant with AWB criteria for rifles (or shotguns, as appropriate) and pistols. Some people don't know, some  SOTs will even sell you non-compliant guns. However, you may eventually get yourself fucked if you decide to build something that is not fully compliant. If you want "the works", get a pre-ban.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
What info are you looking for?  The tacked threads at the top of this page are a good start.  You have to have an existing rifle in order to do the ATF form "Application to Make and Register a Firearm."  You can use the one you already have and will just need to have it engraved once the application is approved.  CT does not have it's own form but your local Chief or CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) needs to sign the form, unless you have a trust set up.  

Here is a picture (not mine) of a completed form.  

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
but your local Chief or CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) needs to sign the form, unless you have a trust set up.

You can also avoid the CLEO signature with by using an LLC or Corporation (or a trust).
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok thanks for the great information.  I was just curious on what exactly I had to do in order to go about the process.  You mentioned that it has to be engraved?  Are you talking about getting the Lower Receiver engraved?  My other question is the Sig from the CLEO.  Do I mail it  or bring it to them or does ATF send them the form?

Once my exsisting rifle is registered as an SBR, are there problems with using it both for SBR and a long rifle?
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
You can order the forms and fingerprint cards from ATF's website. I'd order a few in case one gets screwed up. You complete the entire form before sending it to the ATF, including the prints and signature.  I usually call the police department and tell them what I need. They will tell me to either drop the forms off or set up a time to meet with the Chief. You are also going to need a photograph of yourself for the form.

Yes, the lower needs to be engraved and you can put a different upper on it once its registered.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok lets say you just sent off paperwork for a preban lower to be SBR'd into a 10.5" 9mm Colt style shorty. Now in CT any firearm with a barrel of 12" or less is considered a pistol.

When would you send in a DPS-3 transfering what was a rifle into your name as an SBR in your name?

Buyer and Seller has same info or does Trust info come into play?   How does this work?
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok thanks for the great information.  I was just curious on what exactly I had to do in order to go about the process.  Name and location (City+state ) of maker. If you are using an entity, it's name is the one you engrave. You mentioned that it has to be engraved?  (see what I wrote to the left of this question. .003" deep min depth, 1/16th of an inch high. You can engrave the frame or barrel. If you engrave the barrel, you need to have other barrels you will be swapping onto it engraved too. The frame/ lower would be the smart move. Are you talking about getting the Lower Receiver engraved?  My other question is the Sig from the CLEO.  Do I mail it  or bring it to them or does ATF send them the form? You get that before you send it in. If your CLEO is uncooperative, there is other individuals who qualify. You have two options. One is to form a business entity (trust, corp, llc) and avoid the fingerprints, photo, and cleo signature. The other is to document refusals to sign and work with ATF to find a n acceptable, sympathetic signatory.

Once my exsisting rifle is registered as an SBR, are there problems with using it both for SBR and a long rifle?That's fine. However, you still should be careful to comply with NFA procedures (ie regarding interstate transport, not allowing others to possess, etc... )

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Now in CT any firearm with a barrell of 12" or less is considered a pistol.

Unless it has a butt stock

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#9]
So, when you get a SBR stamp for your 10.5" upper you don't have to register or "transfer" it in CT using a DPS-3 as a pistol due to the gun having a stock?
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it Sunday again already?

Link Posted: 7/18/2010 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the information.  I will look into starting this process.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Presence of a buttstock does not affect pistol status.Under state law, a firearm can concurrently be considered a rifle and a pistol- with all the encumbrances of each classification.  The law is very clear when it says "any firearm..."
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, when you get a SBR stamp for your 10.5" upper you don't have to register or "transfer" it in CT using a DPS-3 as a pistol due to the gun having a stock?

You would be required to due the DPS 3+67 and NICS when you transfer it- in addition to the ATF fun.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:25:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Presence of a buttstock does not affect pistol status.Under state law, a firearm can concurrently be considered a rifle and a pistol- with all the encumbrances of each classification.  The law is very clear when it says "any firearm..."

That makes no sense, how can it be both?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Presence of a buttstock does not affect pistol status.Under state law, a firearm can concurrently be considered a rifle and a pistol- with all the encumbrances of each classification. The law is very clear when it says "any firearm..."

Go read the definitions for rifle and pistol/revolver in CT. There is no SBR definition and the CT rifle and pistol definitions do not follow the Federal definition.

There are a number of interesting quirks in CT law... a paintball gun could be considered a firearm, and a disassembled firearm could be argued to not be a firearm.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The law is poorly written.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:00:10 AM EDT
[#17]
So if a "handgun" has a barrel longer than 12" what is it? Does it automatically become a rifle because it's barrel is longer than 12"?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#18]
No, it doesn't become a rifle, but it's no longer a "pistol or revolver".  It's just a "firearm".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top