Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2009 4:20:57 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm currently living in Kansas City and I may have the opportunity to live in Portland for 6 months to a year. I work for an Engineering Consulting firm and we're doing a lot of work with Central Maine Power.

So, questions:
Just how much snow do you get?

I looked up Maine's Concealed Carry Law to get a non-resident permit. What kind of training are they looking for? Would my Missouri CCW course info be enough?

Which is better: Geary's or Shipyard?

Thanks guys!
Matt
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Going to be working on the big "upgrade"?

Lots of snow/ ice. More than you're probably used to.

Shipyard Ale, but I like Geary's a lot too.

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
WHOA!...WHOA  You forgot local favorite Gritty McDuff's!

On snow it really depends last couple of years have been kinda see-saw, last winter was pretty good got a decent storms, usualy everything is around the 10-16 inch mark for storms.   Once in a while you get a good one that is in the 20 plus range.  Last year at the peak of winter the snow in my yard was 3 feet deep.  Not very scientific hopefully it helps.  In terms of reciprocity, your best bet is to call the state police

MSP

PS if your in Portland be sure to check out the Great lost bear, they have almost every local microbrew on tap!! and international beers too!
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
WHOA!...WHOA  You forgot local favorite Gritty McDuff's!

On snow it really depends last couple of years have been kinda see-saw, last winter was pretty good got a decent storms, usualy everything is around the 10-16 inch mark for storms.   Once in a while you get a good one that is in the 20 plus range.  Last year at the peak of winter the snow in my yard was 3 feet deep.  Not very scientific hopefully it helps.  In terms of reciprocity, your best bet is to call the state police

MSP

PS if your in Portland be sure to check out the Great lost bear, they have almost every local microbrew on tap!! and international beers too!

I was up there last week and I walked past Gritty McDuff's a few times, but never went in. I was mainly drinking Shipyard Ale at a little pub just west of Pearl St on Fore, has a red awning. Thanks for the tip on Great Lost Bear! Let's see, I went to Norm's, The Grill Room, Fuji's (the Hibachi place), Dunkin' Donuts, and two other places that I cannot remember the name of. I didn't have a bad meal that entire time.

Yeah, you guys get a LOT more snow than here. If we get 6-8 inches, it's a massive snow storm. I think I can remember once getting 13 inches. I can only assume that the roads are well taken care of during those storms. With some luck I may be in walking distance of work, or at least, that would be ideal.

Once this gets closer to a reality, I'll check in with the state police about the CCW permit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Well the roads depends on the town you live in, some are great, and some are horrible.  The town I live in we sub our plowing out to a private contractor, and let me tell you they have neglected our road a few times.  Being on the local FD/EMS there are many times we have went out for a call and paged out our road commissioner.  We have literally flowed his truck in on fire and ems calls. I am not a foodie type person but from what I understand that some of those restruants you have mentioned usually get written up in national food mags.

The Great Lost Bear
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Try the "Le Fin du Mond" available at Oak Hill Beverage off Route One/114 intersection in Scarborough (Quebec Brewed, translation:  The End of the World)

State Police may reject your application if your class certificate is older then 5 years.  If so suggest you look into local classes:  Scarborough Fish & Game, WeaponCraft, Howells, etc.

If CMP has you working all over the state you're going to experience  all kinds of driving fun.  I still chuckle over the prius owner I saw last winter trying to move wet snow with a ice scraper so he could get out of a parking lot.  Carry a aluminum grain scoop in your trunk, plastic shovels will break when the wet stuff freezes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try the "Le Fin du Mond" available at Oak Hill Beverage off Route One/114 intersection in Scarborough (Quebec Brewed, translation:  The End of the World)

State Police may reject your application if your class certificate is older then 5 years.  If so suggest you look into local classes:  Scarborough Fish & Game, WeaponCraft, Howells, etc.

If CMP has you working all over the state you're going to experience  all kinds of driving fun.  I still chuckle over the prius owner I saw last winter trying to move wet snow with a ice scraper so he could get out of a parking lot.  Carry a aluminum grain scoop in your trunk, plastic shovels will break when the wet stuff freezes.

Man, the thought of all that snow is making me not want to go. I hope I'm within walking distance of work. My Mazda 3 isn't the best in snow, I may have to trade it off on a Subaru or something 4WD.

Thanks for the links to the training classes. I may take one of those regardless. It's always good to learn.

If I get ok'd to go, I'm not sure where I'll be running around to, but hopefully I can just huddle in the office when the weather gets bad. Though, from what I've hear, snowmobiles are pretty fun in all that snow!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, the thought of all that snow is making me not want to go. I hope I'm within walking distance of work. My Mazda 3 isn't the best in snow, I may have to trade it off on a Subaru or something 4WD.

Thanks for the links to the training classes. I may take one of those regardless. It's always good to learn.

If I get ok'd to go, I'm not sure where I'll be running around to, but hopefully I can just huddle in the office when the weather gets bad. Though, from what I've hear, snowmobiles are pretty fun in all that snow!

Meh, pick up a pair of studded snow tires for your front end and wait for the plows to move the deep snow and you should be all set.  Sell the tires in Uncle Henry's or Craig's list when you're done with em.  Note - Portland has parking bans during snow storms, you either have to park it in a garage or a city park unless you have off street parking.  The bans are so the snow plows can clear the city streets.

Also:  Scarborough Fish & Game plows the outdoor ranges in the winter, and the indoor .22 LR lead free range should be operational for winter.  Takes a couple months to become a member tho.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there many indoor pistol ranges in Portland?

It's funny, not long ago I was really trying to figure out how to get to Texas or the Southwest (warm climates) and now it looks like I may be headed to the snowy Northeast. D'oh!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Last year, right around Christmas time we got walloped with 3 feet of heavy snow in the Rockland area. I have a Tacoma 4X4 and barely got out of the driveway. Myself and and my boss were the only two (of the 25 scheduled) to make it in to open the store. Those storms aren't the norm though.

I've spent some time all over the country including Missouri as a long-haul trucker for twelve years, I've seen it all. MO's weather is a bit nicer and milder but Maine's weather should be no problem at all for ya.

Our weather is easy, getting a CWP from Portland's new police chief may be much more difficult. I've never applied for a CWP so I'm not sure of the process...County Sheriff's Office, City Police Department, or State Police. Google would be your friend there. Our local media is rabidly liberal and may print your name and address in their local rag, they've done it in the past in Waldo County; man that pissed me off.

As far as Maine's Second Amendment rights go we are still the freeest of the free states. Don't let Connecticut and Massachusetts scare you. Our police forces (except maybe Portland's new Chief) are really middle of the road and professional.

Eateries...hhmmm...I've had good luck with DeMillo's Floating Restaurant and the always popular Macaroni Grill. I grew up in Waldo County so if your traveling up Rt. 1 stop into Angler's in Searsport. Huge portions and great food.

Parking in the city during storms and during cleanup is a Portland sport. The local television stations broadcast parking bans ahead of time and get your car off the street or you'll spend a fortune getting it out of impound. Again, never lived in Portland but have watched Channel 6 for 40 years.

Ranges around Maine are really scarce in general. Most locals drive long distances to private club ranges, beg gravel pit owners for access, endlessly seek that elusive perfect place, or live on a big and remote enough piece of land to have their own privte range. Best advice I have in finding a range or a place to shoot and the CWP process is to talk with the local gun shop.

Welcome to Maine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:40:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Maine is a great state for gunowners. You can open carry, no state restrictions on private firearms sale, mag size, permit for ownership, etc. (other than federal ones!).

Shipyard for sure.

I don't know if your CC will transfer, but you can do a 35-state CC permit through Weaponcraft in Cumberland (about five minute from Portland). They're fantastic; tactical rifle and handgun classes, smithing, builds, bulk ammo, everything.

Welcome to Maine.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:51:37 AM EDT
[#11]
BTW you hit some of the good restaurants, but there are a bunch more out there as Portland is known for its restaurant scene. The Grill Room is one of my favorites, and they have two sister restaurants of the same caliber: The Front Room (comfort food/breakfast), and The Corner Room (Italian). Also try 555, Duckfat (next to Norm's), Grace, Siam, and Street and Co. Vignola's has a beer menu that is the size of a wine menu; we were there a few weeks ago when they cracked open a $450 methuselah of Belgian tripel to sell by the glass. Awesome.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome info! Thanks a ton.

I'm still waiting to hear if I'll get to move up or not. The head guy at the Portland office thinks it's a great idea, but the next guy in the chain has been on vacation. Maybe I'll find out next week.

I got 2 offers on my house today, so it looks like that won't be a problem if/when I move!
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Allagash White beer all the way; Portland is no longer doing CCP as my g/f just found out- have to go the state police in Gray to get that processed. From what I hear the new cheif is a pro gun guy. I'm pretty sure you have to take a class to get the permit. Maine's reciprocity with other state's is pretty slim; every town in maine has a different card/standards, hence no other state will work with us. But the flip side is we can have 30 rnd mags, NFA weapons, and collapsable stocks. Welcome to ME! At least you didn't get relocated to MA...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Just call the Maine State Police.  If you have one in your state they will give you a non-resident permit no problem.  It might take a bit, so do it now.  Don't know what it costs.  Not many indoor ranges at all in Maine.  The newly renovated one at Scarborough is the only one I know of and it is not open yet.  Us Mainers get our kids to tromp through the snow to hang targets for us and suck up the cold!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just call the Maine State Police.  If you have one in your state they will give you a non-resident permit no problem.  It might take a bit, so do it now.  Don't know what it costs.  Not many indoor ranges at all in Maine.  The newly renovated one at Scarborough is the only one I know of and it is not open yet.  Us Mainers get our kids to tromp through the snow to hang targets for us and suck up the cold!!

Capital City Pistol and Rifle Club in Augusta has an indoor range as well (handguns). Open to members 24 hours a day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great information! Thank you.

I found out that there's another employee that has been offered the transfer, if he declines it's all mine!

Now, I just have to go talk to him about how awesome Kansas City is and how he'd hate living in the NE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top