Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2009 1:17:12 PM EDT
Hi all, I know that I've seen this subject come across the board, but search is not enlightening me.  Do adjustable stocks need to be pinned by a 'smith in CT, or is this DIY?  I thought I've seen at least one model online that came with a pin as an accessory.  I am working on my first build and am unsure as to the requirement.  

Also, does anyone use a fixed rifle-length Modstock instead of a pinned adjustable?  If so, can you please share pics?  I can't seem to find any images other than on the VLTOR site itself.

Thanks!!

–B
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You can pin it yourself, just make sure you do it correctly to avoid any complications.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Now is this a drill/tap/screw process, or are we talking about a blind pin welded in like a muzzle brake?  Sorry, search really isn't cooperating for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Set the stock in the desired position.
Drill through the side of the stock body into the rib on the bottom of the buffer tube (do not drill all the way through.
Drive a rolled pin into the hole and use a punch to get it slightly below the surface.
Fill the hole with black epoxy.
You may even want to do this in two spots to be extra safe.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
What CT builder said.  Here is a post I found, with pictures.

http://www.nyshooters.net/default.aspx?g=posts&t=19
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 3:36:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Also, does anyone use a fixed rifle-length Modstock instead of a pinned adjustable?  If so, can you please share pics?  I can't seem to find any images other than on the VLTOR site itself.

on one of my post-ban guns i do.  

if you're going to do the modstock, i highly recommend getting the rubber buttpad.  the modstock by itself doesn't "stick" to you or your kit and this can affect your shooting.

pic attached.  this was from a recent carbine class (kyle lamb/viking tactics).  i had some minor problems with my primary blaster on td1 and switched to my post-ban backup, which sports a VLTOR a1 modstock.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2009 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Great topic, and saves me from asking the same thing in a couple of weeks!!
Many Thanks skolpatrol for that link, I will be using that methios to pin my stag stock as soon as I get it.....
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

on one of my post-ban guns i do.  

if you're going to do the modstock, i highly recommend getting the rubber buttpad.  the modstock by itself doesn't "stick" to you or your kit and this can affect your shooting.

pic attached.  this was from a recent carbine class (kyle lamb/viking tactics).  i had some minor problems with my primary blaster on td1 and switched to my post-ban backup, which sports a VLTOR a1 modstock.  

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/30calslut/slutpostban.jpg

Hey Ben, you suck.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#8]
i know, i know
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the pinning steps and especially the link, that was a great help.  I'm surprised there's not a forum dedicated to How-To's on this site.  Not to take anything away from the DIY forum, but I've seen a lot of sites (mostly car-related) that have a forum full of locked How-To threads.  Maybe a subfolder under DIY?  Off to post a recommendation...    

30Cal, how do you like the A1 Modstock as compared to a PINNED adjustable (VLTOR or otherwise)?  

-B
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

30Cal, how do you like the A1 Modstock as compared to a PINNED adjustable (VLTOR or otherwise)?  

-B

i guess they are both somewhat inconvenient in their own ways.

if you know that you're going to be shooting in BASIC positions (offhand - standing, kneeling, prone) and you have one setting that works for you in all three, then go with the pinned adjustable.

some positions are just downright uncomfortable with an a1 length stock ... like rollover prone and "brokeback mountain" when shooting through small portals in barricade situations.

this is brokeback mountain (as termed by kyle lamb) - it's hard to see but the shooter here is engaging a target 100 yds down through a very small portal in the bottom of the barricade.

i didn't feel like dealing with the extra tinkering on (or the possible legal harassment arising from)  the retractable stocks, so i just got an a1 and work around it.

i can sort of do this because i have several pre-bans with magpul ctr's.

as always, YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/16/2009 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#11]
You can also purchase a POST BAN Buffer tube and stick a Collapsible stock on it. You can probably pin it but there's only one position in the middle of the tube and the hole is recessed enough to not engage the spring catch on the stock
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#12]
OP,

Here are a couple of pics of my fixed stocks.  First one is an ACE and the second is a VLTOR rifle stock.  Been happy with both set ups so far.

Link Posted: 5/17/2009 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#13]
LOLz at "Brokeback Mountain"!!

Iceman, I see you didn't succumb to the swine flu.  Thanks for the pics.  Which of the two fixed stocks do you prefer?  I've shot the ACE before, but have no experience with the VLTOR.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#14]
i like the way that other forum explained it. i my self live it CT. i ordered a stag model 2 with pinned butt stock. (I believe it was pinned at the gun shop/gunsmith i ordered it through. well upon examination of said stock it is a solid buffer tube (no divets for a collapsible), but instead of pinned it is drilled and tapped. the screw that holds it in place uses the detent/lever release hole in the stock. i can remove the screw with an allen wrench and remove the stock.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/lostman518/DSC00030.jpg
i had given it thought to drill/tap two more holes being that it is at full extension right now. what do you think?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#15]

btw, i just stopped by jojo's in southington over the weekend and the guys there said they'd pin your Magpul CTR for a very nominal fee, if you are concerned about getting it done "right."  if you do in combination with their CSP muzzle brake job, it's like only an additional $15 or something like that (you provide the parts).

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
LOLz at "Brokeback Mountain"!!

Iceman, I see you didn't succumb to the swine flu.  Thanks for the pics.  Which of the two fixed stocks do you prefer?  I've shot the ACE before, but have no experience with the VLTOR.

Yeah, l lived.  

Regarding the stocks, I really like the weight of the ACE but the cheek weld on the VLTOR is nice.  Its a toss up for me.  Come up to Highrock and I'll let you shoot both.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:46:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Come up to Highrock...

Would that be Highrock in Beacon Falls?

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Come up to Highrock...

Would that be Highrock in Beacon Falls?

Technically its in Naugatuck, but yes, that's the place.

High Rock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top