Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2008 2:40:33 PM EDT
New Britain Herald Article

Police trading up to better weapons - free to taxpayers
By RICK GUINNESS, Herald staff07/12/2008
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
NEW BRITAIN - The Common Council has approved a deal for the city's finest to get $81,000 worth of new guns, training materials and other items for $61,000.

Advertisement

The bargain price is because the police department is trading in $20,000 worth of weapons to buy bigger, better weapons with more power and more rounds of ammunition.

But the best part of the deal, which will be with JoJo's Gun Works LLC, of 122 Spring St., Southington, is that it won't cost taxpayers a dime.

The people police have taken down for drug dealing will be picking up the tab through money raised by asset forfeiture - the stuff confiscated from those involved in the drug trade.

"The drug investigation fund is an existing special revenue fund to which most revenue is credited as a result of the state's drug asset forfeiture program, the greatest share of the proceeds from which are returned to the police department for use in drug control strategy," a Wednesday council resolution read.

The fund had accumulated $61,350 that will be put toward the deal with JoJo's, in addition to the $20,000 in trade-ins.

Jody S. Joseph, the gun shop's owner, said he could not comment on the deal, which is not complete.

But Chief William Gagliardi said he was glad to do business with JoJo's.

Other gun shops up for consideration were out of state, whereas JoJo's has a relationship with Stag Arms and is strongly tied to New Britain, Gagliardi said. Stag Arms is a 5-year-old New Britain arms manufacturer with headquarters at 515 John Downey Drive.

In exchange for $20,000 worth of guns and ammunition, the police department will be giving up three types of shotguns.

Gagliardi said he initiated the deal to standardize the department's weapons, especially its handguns.

"We got rid of 9mm," Gagliardi said, calling the .40-caliber handgun a better deal all around.

Ammunition for the .40-calibers is now less expensive as well, Gagliardi added.

Most of the new weapons will go to the department's Special Response Team, a SWAT-like division of the department.

Even in the department's shopping list there is a category for "SWAT-specific items." The team will be getting two single-shot tear gas launchers and a .40-caliber multishot pump-action tear gas launcher, 20 foam baton projectiles, 25 weapon sighting systems worth a total of $15,000 and other assorted goodies.

By far the biggest-ticket item is the $53,446 in guns, which includes, according to Gagliardi's list:

n 20 Stag Arms .223-caliber rifles - by far the biggest purchase - worth $1,000 each. They come with collapsible stocks, flip-up rear sights, front sights, barrel-mounted lights and tactical slings.

n 16 Remington .12-gauge shotguns, each worth $832.

n Four Remington .308-caliber rifles with sniper packages, adjustable stocks, bipods and Leupold scopes, each worth $2,281.

n Two Heckler & Koch .40-caliber submachine guns worth a total of $3,590.

n 10 .40-caliber Glock handguns with three magazines for the bargain price of $440 each - for a total of $4,400.

n 60 .40-caliber Glock magazines worth a total of about $1,000.

n "Training materials" include six Glock 9mm "Simunition" training weapons with neck guards and helmets, which total about $4,000.

Rick Guinness can be reached at [email protected] or by calling (860) 225-4601, ext. 236.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that's a lot of firepower.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you think they will be selling their old weapons?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
good for JoJo's. glad they got the business.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
good for JoJo's. glad they got the business.

+1 Congrats JoJo's!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
"Even in the department's shopping list there is a category for "SWAT-specific items." The team will be getting two single-shot tear gas launchers and a .40-caliber multishot pump-action tear gas launcher, 20 foam baton projectiles, 25 weapon sighting systems worth a total of $15,000 and other assorted goodies."

Damn, those are some small caliber tear gas launchers!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ever been to New Britain?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Traded in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever been to New Britain?

Nope, but I guess it's pretty bad, huh?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traded in.

what kind of answer is that?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traded in.

Give JoJo's a call--they might be taking them in trade to sell for profit to the general public.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traded in.

First paragraph- "The bargain price is because the police department is trading in $20,000 worth of weapons to buy bigger, better weapons with more power and more rounds of ammunition."

The implication is that JoJo's will be selling them.....

I saw the trading in part, but I have no idea what happens to them from there, that is why I asked. For all I know they could destroy them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
They have some Glock 26's & 17's from there now. More is on the way from what they said.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traded in.

Why, because it's not a complete sentence?

Sorry.  

Their old guns were traded in to offset the cost of the new equipment.  See JoJo's for information.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traded in.

Sorry.  

Their old guns were traded in to offset the cost of the new equipment.  See JoJo's for information.  

once again you failed to answer a simple question, if you don't know the answer, there is no need to post a reply.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traded in.

Sorry.  

once again you failed to answer a simple question, if you don't know the answer, there is no need to post a reply.

No need to argue, I just think there's too much use of the word "they"

I think flash meant "Do you think JoJo's will be selling NBPD's old weapons"
I guess everybody is reading it "Do you think the NBDP will be selling its old weapons"

Sounds the NBPD is trading their old weapons to JoJo's and JoJo's will be selling the trade-ins to us.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think flash meant "Do you think JoJo's will be selling NBPD's old weapons"
I guess everybody is reading it "Do you think the NBDP will be selling its old weapons"

Sounds the NBPD is trading their old weapons to JoJo's and JoJo's will be selling the trade-ins to us.

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:20:20 AM EDT
[#19]

anyone know what types of weapons are being traded in?

any old transferables coming out of the PD?

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Looked to me like you were asking if NBPD is selling their old weapons. Simple misunderstanding.  Ended.  

The department traded in Colt AR's (marked AR-15) and non-transferable MP-5's.  The only things that might be able to be resold are their sniper rifles and shotguns used for less-lethal.  (I don't know brand/models)

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looked to me like you were asking if NBPD is selling their old weapons. Simple misunderstanding.  Ended.  

No problem

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaty7FpwMI

I might just have to take a ride up to JoJo's.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem

Why, hoffmans wont give you a good deal durring their moving sale?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:32:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem

why do you have to be such a dick?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem

why do you have to be such a dick?

It was made in good fun.... Didn't mean to offend you. If I did I apologize.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I love how cops can get Pre-ban features on their guns and you guys...well, get screwed. I hope they don't get the dealer in trouble for selling illegal weapons. They should have to buy Post ban or pay for Pre-ban lowers. IMHO.

Sorry for the hijack..
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:10:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I love how cops can get Pre-ban features on their guns and you guys...well, get screwed. I hope they don't get the dealer in trouble for selling illegal weapons. They should have to buy Post ban or pay for Pre-ban lowers. IMHO.

Sorry for the hijack..

Things like flash hiders and collapsible stocks require extensive training to use. The civilian operators can not be trusted to safely possess weapons equipped with such deadly features.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the hijack..

Things like flash hiders and collapsible stocks require extensive training to use. The civilian operators can not be trusted to safely possess weapons equipped with such deadly features.

Don't forget the bayonet lug, because soooo many people get injured of killed with those every year
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Sorry for the hijack..

Not exactly.  Department owned weapons are exempt from the AWB.  Privately owned weapons of LEOs are not.  The trade ins were owned by NBPD.  JOJOs will not sell any banned weapons back to the public.  They can keep them or sell them out of state.

But you knew all of this already right?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Not exactly.  Department owned weapons are exempt from the AWB.  Privately owned weapons of LEOs are not.  The trade ins were owned by NBPD.  JOJOs will not sell any banned weapons back to the public.  They can keep them or sell them out of state.

Just curious. Has anyone heard of Department owned Pre-Ban weapons being traded in and then resold to civilians? e.g. Pre 1994 manufacture AR15s.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious. Has anyone heard of Department owned Pre-Ban weapons being traded in and then resold to civilians? e.g. Pre 1994 manufacture AR15s.

I haven't, but it would be a great way for departments to upgrade. They could replace their old guns with brand new ones with nothing out of pocket.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think a lot of departments with preban AR15s really have preban AR15s (Colt).  That does no good considering they are banned by name.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think a lot of departments with preban AR15s really have preban AR15s (Colt).  That does no good considering they are banned by name.  

They could always get at least some premium selling them to New York or Mass.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#33]
That's true.  I wonder what a place like jojo's (or any other) gives them for trade in value?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top