Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 3:08:27 AM EDT
I have orders to New London, CT and had everything set up.  We even applied for and received our non-resident CCW permits for CT.  Anyway, long story short, the wife found a home just across the boarder in RI that we will be renting.  Some of the gun laws look ok but what did I loose or gain with this.

With all my years and several state permits I've never had to articulate a need other than "Lawful carry and self defence"  What should I put down as a stated need for the RI permit?  

In RI I lose my SBR's but gain in not dealing with a cosmetic AWB that does nothing more than restrict common citizens.

Can anyone also recommend a FFL in southwestern RI?  I have a few toys on order that didn't come in before the move.  I'll have to change to a new FFL there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Westerly Gun & Dive shop... dunno what they charge, though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:45:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Before you apply for a RI carry permit ...

DO check in with these folks

http://www.cralri.com/

DO get the skinny on the process to apply.  Are you living in Westerly?  

Technically, RI is "shall-issue" for residents, and I'm basically shocked at the absence of gun-free victim zones (school carry is okay for permit holders!).  

There are two ways to apply ... one through your local LEO and throught the Attorney General's office.

You have a few hoops to jump through, but RI is doable if you approach it correctly.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Avoid westerly gun and dive like the plague.  Live in CT, you can keep your SBRs and NFA goodies and if you are PCSing and moving into CT you can get certificates of possession for all of your weapons that CT has deemed assault weapons and keep them legally unchanged.  You just can't buy any thing that is not ban compliant once you are living here.  Gas in RI is cheaper but overall eastern CT and the Westerly RI area is expensive to live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top