Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2007 3:28:54 AM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a rental property up there and was interested to know if anyone can give me their impression regarding the area.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a decent place in the middle of nowhere.  I'm not really sure what information you're looking for.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I was born in Houlton, but have been moved several hours south for many years.

It is beautiful country, world class snowmobiling, great fishing but not much money floating around the local economy. Rental property might be ok, but I would be a little leary of a big business venture in that area. Just my 2 cents, but I do love the area and go and visit when I can.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm considering purchasing a property - retail on the ground floor and two apartments, one on the second floor and one in the basement - all in good condition.  The broker is claiming that he can get $450 for the basement (two bedroom) and $750 for the upstairs.  S&W has a plant up there - that's something I guess.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]

I used to have regular runs to houlton. Nice area but basically desolate. It appears to be financially challanged and not very much going on there but what looks like potato farms.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Being from an area 50 miles north of hHoulton. In this area you can rent a house with a grrage for around 550 to 600 a month. Not really sure iof Houlton but as stated not alot of $$ floating around. To get 750 a month for an apartment....? Sounds like a stretch of the truth.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
That's what I'm thinking also - claiming an vacant apartment will get such and such rent doesn't pay the bills.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top