Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2006 6:31:38 AM EDT
Hello from Pennsylvania.

Going hiking in Killington in a few weeks.  Looking forward to the trip, as I have not been in New England for about 4 years now.  I last visited when I went hiking in Stowe VT.

I'm flying into Manchester NH and driving to Killington.  As I am going to NH I guess the CCW gun has to stay at home.  I have applied for a FL non-res permit but it will not be here in time for my trip.

I bought a book called "50 Hikes in Vermont" which was a great resource for my last trip.  I am planning on doing several of the day-long hikes around Killington.  

Any pointers as to concerns with wild animals, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  I did not see any bears or mountain lions my last time in VT but you never know.  I guess I'll have my Spyderco Endura (folder) and perhaps my Randall #3 (5" fixed blade) while hiking but that's it.  I'll have to check into legality of carrying a fixed blade.  I may also pick up some bear OC when I arrive as I do not believe they let you carry OC in checked luggage.

Thanks

Justin
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Open carry is legal in both NH & VT.  As long as your handgun is unloaded in your vehicle (I'd be extra safe and lock it in a gun rug), you will be fine to carry at your destination.  

I'm not sure of the knife laws in VT (you would be fine with a folder in NH), but you can check out Packin.org for all the state details on the guns and knives.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 5:14:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses so far.  I'm really looking forward to the trip.   I'm hoping to do the AT trail near Killington although it is a 1-nighter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
non-res NH permit only costs $20 and you'll get it back in about a week so that's an option too
very simple one page application can be found and printed from here: NH Pistol Permit Application
it's good for 4 years and very much worth the $20 that it costs...best of all, you get it back fast
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
non-res NH permit only costs $20 and you'll get it back in about a week so that's an option too

Yeah I wish I had known about that earlier.  Oh well, at least when my FL CCW shows up (80 or so days from now) I will be able to carry in NH.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#6]
print it off and mail it today...maybe you'll get it back in time...you don't need any fingerprints or anything to apply...heck spend an extra $10 and send it next day air..for $30 you could be able to carry when you are there...seems worth it to me
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 7:45:02 AM EDT
[#7]
You could still bring your pistol and carry once you hit Vermont.  :)

The only creatures that I keep an eye out for are moose... They usually ignore you, but if you run across one that is pissed off, it can be an interesting experience.  

I think you're fine with carrying a fixed blade knife but don't quote me on that.. I can find out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all who helped out.

I had a great time in Killington.  The only downer was that I suffered a mild sprain of my left knee coming down from Pico Mountain on the first day.    It wasn't severe enough to stop me from doing 1-2 hr hikes the rest of the time, but I was disappointed that I didn't get to do some of the longer 4-6 hr hikes (e.g. Okomo and Ascutney).

So here are the pics!

Essential survival gear.  MMmmmREs were consumed on the trail.

Pico Mountain (where I sprained my knee)

Quechee Gorge

Deer Leap Mountain

Mt. Horrid Outlook

As for eating, I think Outback Pizza and The Garlic take the prize for my trip.  Wobbly Barn was closed.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What kind of knife is that? Looks like a Randall.

It's a Randall #3, yep.  Got it from AG Russell's last year in preparation for a survival trip that never happened.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:12:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Very nice! Again, great pics, thanks for sharing that.  How's the knee?

Doing much better, thanks.  Most of the pain was gone by Thursday's hike.  It's still a little sore but I should be back to 100% before long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top