Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 5:07:42 PM EDT
I know it is legal for a NJ resident with an FID card to purchase long guns in PA.
What (if legal) is necessary for a CT. resident to purchase a longun in the state of NJ or PA?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
In a span of 16 months, I purchased 10 long arms in Pittsburgh with only my drivers liscence and SS#

I walked out of the store that day with each gun I wanted to purchase......if only CT could do that...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you saying you purchased a gun in PA while your a resident of CT? PA is not a contiguous state. If you want to buy a gun from PA or NJ and you live in CT you have to have it transfered to you through a CT FFL.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you saying you purchased a gun in PA while your a resident of CT? PA is not a contiguous state. If you want to buy a gun from PA or NJ and you live in CT you have to have it transfered to you through a CT FFL.

This is not what I was told by PA FFL's specifically concerning Long Arms.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless the laws have changed which I don't think that a resident of CT just can't walk into a gun shop in PA and buy a long gun and walk out with it. Again PA is not a contiguous state(borders don't touch). I had a conversation with a guy a few months ago who had come back from VT, he saw an SKS in a gun shop up there and said I'll take it. The shop owner said he couldn't sell it over the counter it had to be xfered to a CT FFL.  I just  looked at the ATF website, it mentions if you have residences in 2 different states you could by a long gun in the state that you are presently living in at the time. Another statement on their website mentions buying a long gun in person in another state as long as it complies the laws and requirements in both states.  I think there is more to it than that.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Unless the laws have changed which I don't think they have a resident of CT just can't walk into a gun shop in PA and buy a long gun and walk out with it. Again PA is not a contiguous state(borders don't touch). I had a conversation with a guy a few months ago who had come back from VT, he saw an SKS in a gun shop up there and ssaid I'll take the shop owner said he couldn't sell it over the counter it had to be xfered to a CT FFL.

under federal law, the contiguous state requirement went away in 1986 with FOPA. However, some states such as NJ (only NJ residents can purchase firearms) and VT (must be contiguous state) have more restrictive laws. The good part is that in PA, you are free to purchase long guns from an ffl.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
That's great I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe this is the same in New Hampshire.  I live in CT and I visit a buddy up there all the time. I always stop into one particular shop on the way home and have considered the purchase of a retail rifle.  When I asked what the process would be, they told me as long as I had a license in my state, I was able to pay and go without the FFL issue at all.  Pistols are different and would require a transfer.  That was a year ago, however, so I don't know if things have changed but I'd bet they haven't.  The next time I head up there, I'll check.  

Rome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top