Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 8:45:00 AM EDT
In plain vanilla terms:  Guy in CT dies leaving behind a collection of firearms.  Upon an inventory of the decedents collection, the executor of the estate discovers two very "old" but like new Colt Sporter AR15s.  Evidentally, they were never registered as required by CT regs.  The estate now knows that these rifles can not be kept in Connecticut and would very much like to sell them out of state rather than cut up the lower receivers, thus destroying valuable property, legal for sale in 49 other states. The estate does not understand why "inherited" firearms can not be treated similar to someone moving into Connecticut.  When you move here from another state, you're allowed 90 days sell them out of state via an FFL.  One would think that an estate would have the same "window" of time to properly and legally sell them out of state without fear of any type of recrimination.  It sure doesn't seem fair. They just want to be above board and handle things properly.

Any opinions, suggestions, or experience with something like this?

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would get them in the hands of an FFL and have him sell them for you, out of state. Doesn't seem like a big issue as long as the FFL get's them before the State Policia get there.

Saw an ad in the Bargain New for an AR70. Same issue there. Don't know how it turned out but when I called the guy, he didn't know he was selling an assault weapon. I told him to get it to an FFL ASAP.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It is exactly that kind of ad that will get the attention of the state police and a non-knowledgeable gun owner in trouble.

This is EXACTLY what the State Police WANT.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
It was actually a little scary.  The guy says, "what about an AK47 semi auto" gulp. You gotta get rid of that too!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate to say this but, can they be neutered to a post-ban cofiguration and become legal?
Something as simple as having a muzzle break sliver soldered on, or just swaping the barell
with one that's unthreaded?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Not if it is "on the list" a rifle not on the list could be neutered.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Precisely.  The pretty Colt Sporters can no longer be owned by CT residents, period.  

I've been reading the regs pretty regularly lately and came up with that quesiton as a matter of edification.  There is a second question, too.

What happens when a collector dies and leaves a properly registered weapon in his collection? Does that registration simply allow it to be sold to a local FFL and who then must sell out of state or can it be "reregistered" by a new local owner?  That's the other scenario I've wondered about. If it can only be sold out of state, then when all of these weapons become part of an estate (when we all kick the bucket), they will all eventually be gone within a relatively short period of time from CT citizen possession if they can't be properly transferred to a son or daughter or other person interested in owning it.  That's something I had not considered before.

Just curious as to what someone might know about that situation, too.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted: That's the other scenario I've wondered about. If it can only be sold out of state, then when all of these weapons become part of an estate (when we all kick the bucket), they will all eventually be gone within a relatively short period of time from CT citizen possession if they can't be properly transferred to a son or daughter or other person interested in owning it.  That's something I had not considered before.

For registered CT AWs with certificate of possession, they can be bequeathed to an elible person and registered.  Or, they can be transerred to a family member if there is no will.

Edit:

Cite:  CGS 53-202b

Subsection(b)(2) A person who is the executor or administrator of an estate that includes an assault weapon for which a certificate of possession has been issued under section 53-202d which is disposed of as authorized by the Probate Court, if the disposition is otherwise permitted by sections 29-37j and 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a;

(3) The transfer by bequest or intestate succession of an assault weapon for which a certificate of possession has been issued under section 53-202d.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.  That answers a lot of questions.  I appreciate taking the time to reply.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I would give them the stripped lowers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top