Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 8:31:04 AM EDT
The last two weeks, I've been reading, researcher and window shopping accessories.  Today, long wait expired.   It was the hardest the past few days.  As my army training, it was hurry up and wait today.  Got up early, and waited.  Even got at the gun store early.

To recap.  I'm prior service Army.  This is my first firearm.  The AR15 I bought was a used Bushmaster AK A3 16in Carbine.  

Along with the rifle, I bought a cleaning kit and several different brands 55gr ammo.  Then I went over to hoffmans and bought 60 rds of 62gr.  What really sucks, nobody had good 30rd magazines.  I went to hoffmans and newington gun exchange.  Luckily a friend gave me two of his 30rd mags.

Later this week, I'm head down to wallingford to site my weapon.  Then friday I'm made plans to "plink".

I get home and guess whats on TV.  Platoon.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#1]
What's a "Waiting Period"?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The last two weeks, I've been reading, researcher and window shopping accessories.  Today, long wait expired.   It was the hardest the past few days.  As my army training, it was hurry up and wait today.  Got up early, and waited.  Even got at the gun store early.

To recap.  I'm prior service Army.  This is my first firearm.  The AR15 I bought was a used Bushmaster AK A3 16in Carbine.  

Along with the rifle, I bought a cleaning kit and several different brands 55gr ammo.  Then I went over to hoffmans and bought 60 rds of 62gr.  What really sucks, nobody had good 30rd magazines.  I went to hoffmans and newington gun exchange.  Luckily a friend gave me two of his 30rd mags.

Later this week, I'm head down to wallingford to site my weapon.  Then friday I'm made plans to "plink".

I get home and guess whats on TV.  Platoon.

Your kindof confusing me here, whats are you trying to say? Waiting period?????
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
In CT if you do not posses a pistol permit or a valid hunting liscence there is a two week wait from the date you buy the rifle, until you can take it home.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome-I take it you are young and don't have a pistol permit (what we here in CT call our CWP).As soon as you can take a course and file the paperwork. As soon as you get it you can smack it on the gunstore counter alongside your credit card and walk out with a gun. (Well,after some redundant paperwork)
When you have a chance go see Jody or John at Joseph"s Gun Dealers-363 S. Main st New Britain CT
860 223 3013.  They are really more of gunsmiths than gunstore,they qualify as hole in the wall compared to Hoffmans or Newington Gun Exchange but they have lots of AR-15 and 1911 stuff. Call and check hours before you head out
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
the trick is to order firearms 2 weeks early so you don't have to wait

Longhunter
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Define "young".

I didn't want to wait for a pistol permit.  Plus there were too many good choices for a pistol.  I knew for the past few years, I wanted an AR15.  So I went with what I know and wanted.  

I will start the pistol permit next month though.  I goal is to also own a shotgun and pistol.

Quoted:
Welcome-I take it you are young and don't have a pistol permit (what we here in CT call our CWP).

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:39:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep.  Two week waiting period for long arms.  It would be immediate if you have a hunting license, I think.  No permit/license, however, and you'll wait the two weeks and pick it up.

Pistols are another thing, however.  Connecticut says that you can have a pistol in your home for home defense only without having to have a license.  The same goes for a pistol on your business property.  However, in order to purchase a pistol in CT, you MUST have your pistol (CCW) permit, period. So, the question begs, how do you get a pistol for your home or business without have to first get a permit?  You can't.  Used to be that you could puchase the pistol from an FFL, wait the 2 weeks, then pick it up and you were "on your honor" to drive it directly home or to your work.  You were "forbidden" to stop anywhere but go straight to the destination, period. That's all old history now, however.  

Inmyshadow, check online for ammo deals.  You'll be able to purchase 1000 rounds bulk of the ammo you are looking for.  Start with  www.ammoman.com and also www.ammunitionstore.com  They always have deals.  Make sure you check for shipping costs for a good comparison.  Mags, too.  At least in CT you can still order ammo online and hi-cap mags without any hassles unlike our friends in Mass!

Rome
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I was going to order some bulk ammo shortly, but a friend is paying me in 1000rds of ammo for my labor.  So I should be sent for a month or so.  I showed him the links for lower cost ammo.  He flipped out on the price vs. buying local.  He has an Colt M4 and Hbar.

I got the varying ammo to see what I liked and worked good in my AR15.

This friend also gave me two of his cheap ass 30rd mags.  He said these two were less prone to jamming.  Those will have to do until I get the new 30rd mags I ordered from 44mag.com.  I also ordered some telfon magpuls followers to replace the ones in the free mags.

later

Quoted:
Inmyshadow, check online for ammo deals.  You'll be able to purchase 1000 rounds bulk of the ammo you are looking for.  Start with  www.ammoman.com and also www.ammunitionstore.com  They always have deals.  Make sure you check for shipping costs for a good comparison.  Mags, too.  At least in CT you can still order ammo online and hi-cap mags without any hassles unlike our friends in Mass!

Rome

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a good deal.  I'd work for ammo!  (Hey! Sounds like a T-shirt to me!)

Remember, anything with "colt" imprinted on it in the AR15 lines is a no-no here. The Bushy is a nice, quality piece.  You'l be in the black easily.  Remember, check twist rate in your barrel.  Early ones (like mine) have a 1/12 twist and prefer 55 grain bullets.  Newer barrels will be much happier with heavier rounds.  

Good luck!  Since you have prior military service (Thanks for your service, btw), you'll fall right back into the swing of things quickly.  It's just like riding a bike.....only a lot more fun!

Rome
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]
CabinetMan....I just applied for my permit a month ago and had to read the pages of "laws" concerning handguns. The law as of now, is that if you want to carry concealed, you must get a concealed carry permit. However, if you just want to purchase a handgun for use strictly at your dwelling or place of business, you must apply for and obtain a "certificate of eligibility". This certificate allows you to buy a handgun though a FFL, but the rules are still as you stated, you must drive it directly home or to your place of business and that it where it stays. I checked out the application for a certificate of elegibility and it looked the same as the Concealed Carry Permit, just the name of the application was changed. Although its possible that they might have lower internal standards for accepting applicants for the EC, I'm guessing since they both pose the same requirments why not just get your CCP, that way you can have the gun at work, then carry it home....ect.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I'll be.  I never heard of that.  I'll definately check it out for myself.  My friend, (a BIG bank president) was not offered that option at NGE.  I'm now perplexed and will have to check that our for myself.  Thanks!
Rome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top