Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 8:56:38 AM EDT
All in one.

I figured I'd introduce myself since I'm soon to be somewhat new to the world of AR15s.

My name is James and I'm from CT.  The reason why I'm say "somewhat new" is because I spent 6yrs between active army and reserves.  So I'm quite familiar with a M16, M203, M60, 9mm and .50.  Offically my last day in the service was last dec.  But I hadn't been "in" the army since 98.  I enlisted in 92.  I hold two MOSs, 13m(MLRS) and 88m(truckdriver).

Now to the reason why I'm back.  I missed it all.  I missed all the ranged days, there was never enough.  I missed all the night firing with M60s and .50 cals.  I missed the thump of my 203.  I missed the popup targets.  Only thing I don't miss, cleaning my weapons.

I've been looking to make a return a few years ago.  I pickup a magazine deciated to the M16/AR15/M4.  I was so damn surprised how many accessories for this family of rifles.  When I was in, it was taboo for anything.  I wasn't even allowed to remove my 203 to clean my weapon.  Now I see pretty much the skies the limits aslong as it can be return to "as issued".

Just recently I got a chance to fire my friend's Colt M4.  It brought back all the good memorys of yester year.  So thanks to my somewhat hefty tax returns and good pay checks, I can finally afford my return.

So yesterday I finally found a near perfect used Ar15.  It is a bushmaster  AK A3 16in Carbine.  I wanted the Rock River Arms LAR15 they had last week.  But as anything used, I was too late.  The only difference was the LAR was more like a M4.

My plans for my first AR15?  Well changing the stock to a M4 sytle will be first. With the change of stock, I was going to switch to tactical sling.  I'd like to add a bipod, flashight and lastly some type of optics.  I'm sure I'll pickup a 90rd or 100rd drum sometime this summer.    In the future, I'd like to upgrade to a 6.8 upper receiver.

So I'm always open to suggestions on what is the best ammo, magazines, accessories and ranges.  I'm also in the market for a used noncollapsable M4 too.

Later
James
http://members/cox.net/irocdaytona
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks to AR15, magazines and friends, I was able to find out what the laws were.  

That is why I was looking for a used non-collospe stock.  I've never liked the regular butt stock.  Plus as I add weight, I want to remove some to offset the increase.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
have you checked out the ACE ARFX stocks?  their pretty cool.  Where were you active?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
fixed M-4 stock:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=326802
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I was stationed in Germany for active duty.  Reserves was in springfield ma.

Have link to your suggested stocks?

Quoted:
have you checked out the ACE ARFX stocks?  their pretty cool.  Where were you active?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Have link to your suggested stocks?

www.aceltdusa.com/ar15.htm

I have both the ARFX and AR Ultra Lite Stocks on two of my ARs and I am very happy with them.

Edit to add:  Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Germanys a big country.  we had MLRS in Baumholder.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I was in Germany 92/93.  I was stationed with the Alpha Battery 1/27th FA. Babenhausen.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]
BEAT IT! N00b!!  

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]
PS, when you want to get your Pistol Permit so you don't have to deal with this 2 week waiting nonsense, give me a shout.  

Hope all's well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Babe-n-hausen......sounds like Sachsenhausen after too many pints at Jimmy's.

welcome aboard.

Northeastshooters.com
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Only thing I'm beating is my car.

Some of my other hobbies are cars, computers and r/c cars.  Seems a local racer recongizes mehis
My local PD teaches one class a month for 40 bucks.

later

Quoted:
BEAT IT! N00b!!  

hr
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Hobleck is the guy in Enfield that does the permits.  He's Fish and Game Enfield PD IIRC.  I did my permit with him back in '01.  I was one of the "the next course after 9/11" people.  He doesn't do any shooting with his course which isn't a big deal since you've shot before.  It's quick and easy with him, in and out in 3.5 hours.  I got instructor cert in '03 and have done only a handful of small classes.

Be careful around this place.  You know about Black Rifle Disease right? It's worse then cars, believe me.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't think anything can be worst then cars.  I reached my performance goal with my current shadow.   It also doesn't help being held back by NHRA rules on convertibles.  I'll probably borrow some slicks and shot for some really low 13s. Then get kicked out for being too fast.'

It was either move on to a new project car.  But I don't own a house, so I don't have the space for that.

So I figured AR15s is a good place to drop some change on.

later

Quoted:
Be careful around this place.  You know about Black Rifle Disease right? It's worse then cars, believe me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top