Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 1:06:24 PM EDT
Hi all, I have a antique shotgun. It has a demasticus side by side barrel and it uses "Nublack" shells from what I was told. It is SUPER OLD and it is time to part with it. It was my Great Grandfathers Father's Shotgun. I want to sell it but I have no idea the value of it and dont want to get ripped off or rip anyone off when selling it. Anyone know of a local in Ct. place to take it that might have a clue?

Thanks All
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not hang onto it?  
Does it have the "coach gun" exposed hammers?  If so there were many, many made and imported from Belgium and England during the '90's and 01's.  
As a re-sale item its probably not worth much, maybe a hundred, or best case, two.  
I would keep it, and maybe give it a place of honor over the mantel.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I have to agree.

Very few old shotguns are worth much unless they are of the elite brands familar to shotgunners.  

One important thing to know is that damascus barrels are very dangerous. They are NOT designed to handle the pressures of modern shotgun loads and will come apart.  I'll bet you know that already, however.  Damascas barrels were created by wrapping thin wire round and 'round to create the barrel. If one of those wires fails, so does the shotgun and at best, it's junk.  At worse, you'll lose a hand or better.

What I'd do is do a Google search using the brand name.  Maybe you'll come across a link that will tell you more about them.  

About two years ago, I had a custom made Antonio Zoli sxs in 16 gauge.  It took a good two years for me to find anything out about it but I was finally able to confirm that it was never imported to this country for sale. ( I ended up emailing a collector/shooter in Italy! )   When I got it it was brand new condition, too, never shot.  Even so, with the rarity and condition, the best I did was about $500 to a collector who wanted Italian shotguns.  I was lucky at that. It did get me a very nice 20 gauge o/u that I lusted after.   So, do some research on Google and polk around at some of the shotgun websites that cater to the antique market and maybe you'll get lucky.

My opinion, however, is that it will be a nice mantel piece with a nice plaque underneath it describing what it is and who owned it and when.  It'll have a lot more to say to you and your family that way.  

Rome
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, I would never try to shoot it thats for sure! It doesnt have a "brand name on it" its VERY early. The only writing I remeber thats on it is "georges  foundry" I will dig it out of the back of the safe and take some pics and inspect it better. Its been a while since I saw it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top