Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 6:32:12 PM EDT
www.tauntongazette.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15928041&BRD=1711&PAG=461&dept_id=24232&rfi=6

"ATF Agent Daniel Kumor said and federal agents conducted an early morning search at We Are Guns, the shop Feinberg owns and runs out of his home, and seized 90 guns, including two machine guns, for which Feinberg is not licensed."

"Feinberg used to hold a valid license, but surrendered it in June after failing to comply with federal regulations, authorities said."
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't understand the purpose of this post.
If the man unlawfully sold weapons, he broke the law, no?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
PMM,

Yes, Richard was working out of his house (I have known the guy for a number of years), selling mostly on the Internet. This no longer meets MA laws (requires commercially zoned location ONLY), and thus doesn't meet BATFE regs. Ergo, his FFL was either "pulled" or not renewed, as there is no exceptions in MGLs.

As of ~1 day ago (a number of days after his arrest) he still had 61 guns, ammo and mags (including LE restricted-felony for mere possession in MA . . . also true for guns and ammo if his LTC was pulled, which sounds likely) listed for auction on one of the better known online auction sites. Some of the auctions started yesterday! He certainly has brass balls for not laying low until this whole situation is resolved.

The laws suck, but they are the law and BATFE has no sense of humor about violators! More has been posted on the NES forums about this.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
PMM,

Yes, Richard was working out of his house (I have known the guy for a number of years), selling mostly on the Internet. This no longer meets MA laws (requires commercially zoned location ONLY), and thus doesn't meet BATFE regs. Ergo, his FFL was either "pulled" or not renewed, as there is no exceptions in MGLs.

As of ~1 day ago (a number of days after his arrest) he still had 61 guns, ammo and mags (including LE restricted-felony for mere possession in MA . . . also true for guns and ammo if his LTC was pulled, which sounds likely) listed for auction on one of the better known online auction sites. Some of the auctions started yesterday! He certainly has brass balls for not laying low until this whole situation is resolved.

The laws suck, but they are the law and BATFE has no sense of humor about violators! More has been posted on the NES forums about this.

Your sentence in red was really what I was trying to say. Len, the laws may suck, but if you want to sell firearms in MA, you'd best be SMART enuf to do it within the confines of the law. There are many gun sellers out there doing their damndest to sell under all the restrictions, and it is unfair to THEM if they are competing with gun sellers who disregard the law, no? I have no problem with people responsibly selling firearms and ammo: in fact, I kinda like those types ...my point was that when you have those who flagrantly do it illegally, they bring MORE problems onto the community...
It's because of people who defy the law that MORE laws get imposed.
Then, nobody wins.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
PMM,

Right you are. Let's just say that ~4 years ago I was looking for something under the LE exemption (prior to the 1st EOPS "List" issuance) and paid Richard a visit. My spidey sense (based on some comments he made about his business) told me to do business elsewhere and I bought it from another (storefront) dealer that I know instead.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Your sentence in red was really what I was trying to say. Len, the laws may suck, but if you want to sell firearms in MA, you'd best be SMART enuf to do it within the confines of the law. There are many gun sellers out there doing their damndest to sell under all the restrictions, and it is unfair to THEM if they are competing with gun sellers who disregard the law, no? I have no problem with people responsibly selling firearms and ammo: in fact, I kinda like those types ...my point was that when you have those who flagrantly do it illegally, they bring MORE problems onto the community...
Then, nobody wins.

I like both types of people, the people who have the resolve to comply with all the laws and continue their businesses, and the people who choose to violate unjust laws if they have to. They are both commendable in my book. Just as I would not have a problem with someone carrying a gun illegally, when I myself have gone through the trouble of getting a license.

and hopefully those who do choose to bend the law, do it smart enough to not get caught.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Then, nobody wins.

I like both types of people, the people who have the resolve to comply with all the laws and continue their businesses, and the people who choose to violate unjust laws if they have to. They are both commendable in my book. Just as I would not have a problem with someone carrying a gun illegally, when I myself have gone through the trouble of getting a license.

and hopefully those who do choose to bend the law, do it smart enough to not get caught.

Sorry...I got 'em real big problem with that.
Do you believe that the law (any law) does not apply simply because you don't agree with it??? Most gun violence (which results in MORE anti-gun legislation) is the result of an illegal carry. People like this do more harm than good.

Don't like the way things are? Work to affect change. Griping and defiance (uncivil defiance) is NOT
the right way to go about it. Either that or move to a state/country whose laws meet with your approval.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do you believe that the law (any law) does not apply simply because you don't agree with it??? Most gun violence (which results in MORE anti-gun legislation) is the result of an illegal carry. People like this do more harm than good.

Don't like the way things are? Work to affect change. Griping and defiance (uncivil defiance) is NOT
the right way to go about it. Either that or move to a state/country whose laws meet with your approval.

I see that you disregard the Bill of Rights. Unfortunately I really don't care if you have a problem with how I think. If we all thought the same thing as one another, this world would go to shit real fast.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see that you disregard the Bill of Rights. Unfortunately I really don't care if you have a problem with how I think. If we all thought the same thing as one another, this world would go to shit real fast.

You see nothing. I don't disregard anything...What I am simply saying is that there are ways to affect change.
HIS way only affects change in the direction we DON'T want it to go.
Ya dig?

ETA: I also think this guy isn't disobeying on principle...he's disobeying to simply make a buck. I'd have more respect for him if he were doing it BECAUSE of the 2nd ammendment. He isn't. He's doing it because he's in it for the cash, not because he wants to make a statement regarding the 2nd ammendment. If *I* think that, I am guessing the local Brady Bunch will be thinking it  too...and THEIR answer will be to clamor for more regs.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#9]
That's not good news.

I've known Richard for a number of years and probably purchased six or seven guns from him in that timeframe.  I was always under the impression that he was allowed to sell in his location, because his 3 bay garage was his location (technically) and not his house.  

Len S - was the commerically zoned only requirement part of Chapter 140?  

And the two machine guns!  Agh...that is going to be a huge sentence and fine.....

Last I heard, he still had two virgin SP89s in stock....agh!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ETA: I also think this guy isn't disobeying on principle...he's disobeying to simply make a buck. I'd have more respect for him if he were doing it BECAUSE of the 2nd ammendment. He isn't. He's doing it because he's in it for the cash, not because he wants to make a statement regarding the 2nd ammendment. If *I* think that, I am guessing the local Brady Bunch will be thinking it  too...and THEIR answer will be to clamor for more regs.

Well... I can't argue with that. His apparent motivations don't sit well with me. You are right, in that I should differentiate between principle and greed, and not jump to someones defense simply because they broke a law that I didn't particularly agree with... and especially when they seem to be retarded.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well... I can't argue with that. His apparent motivations don't sit well with me. You are right, in that I should differentiate between principle and greed, and not jump to someones defense simply because they broke a law that I didn't particularly agree with... and especially when they seem to be retarded.

I'll drink to that (and even buy you one)
Now...if you'd like to go somewhere to but guns legally...I can help you in that endeavor. No greed on my part...I get no commission...I just happen to know a person who is working unGodly hours and banging his head against a wall working hard to do the gun selling thing the LEGAL way.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
CF,

NO, zoning wasn't the only issue. And having separate buildings on RESIDENTIAL zoned property did NOT meet the law. [We all agree that the law is dumb, but the intent was to shutdown >50% of the MA dealers and it did just that.]

Richard was apparently offering to sell and apparently did sell guns that legally couldn't be sold in MA (not on our EOPS List or AG Regs compliant). I don't have first-hand knowledge of this, but enough secondary knowledge from others that makes it likely.

Apparently (from news stories) his FFL was NOT renewed (as being non-compliant) and he continued to sell anyway. Here's an example of an auction that HE started on 1/20 and ending today. Mere possession of this mag in MA by non-LE/non-FFL is a FELONY, never mind selling it without a MA ammo dealers license (required in MA to sell mags or ammo).
www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=6645534

Here's a gun he has on auction (started 1/21) . . . again possession of a firearm without a LTC is a Felony in MA. And his LTC (and his Wife's) was confiscated with his arrest.
www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=7075158

He has a total of 46 active auctions as I write this reply! That's stupidity and arrogance while under indictment and out on bail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#13]
oh shit.. I bought two rifles from him just prior the June 05 date.. but each time he called the FBI # and gave them what I thought was his FFL # and everything appeared legal. SHould I be worried??? In fact the last rifle I bought from him Arsenal AK74 was in Memorial Day weekend!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#14]
ok- I just checked one of my transactions with him- on the transfer form it states his FFL expires 6/07/2005 so I am all set it appears since I bought both AKs prior to that date.... Still worries me though. I dont need the government thinking that I have any association with criminal activity!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
ok- I just checked one of my transactions with him- on the transfer form it states his FFL expires 6/07/2005 so I am all set it appears since I bought both AKs prior to that date.... Still worries me though. I dont need the government thinking that I have any association with criminal activity!

They think you are a bad person anyway, with all those guns and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top