Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 5:37:26 AM EDT
The Boston Globe
January 15, 2006

Mass. exodus
By Jeff Jacoby

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/01/15/mass_exodus/

FOR THE second year in a row, the Census Bureau reports, the population of Massachusetts has shrunk. During the 12 months ending July 1, 2005, the Bay State experienced a net loss of more than 8,600 residents, or 0.1 percent of its population. It was one of only three states to end the year with fewer people than it had at the start -- New York and Rhode Island were the others -- and the only one to do so for the second year running.

A statistical blip this ain't. Not counting foreign immigrants, Massachusetts has been losing more people than it attracts every year since 1990, according to MassINC, a Boston-based research institute. The net outflow during those 12 years from 1990 to 2002 -- the excess of people leaving Massachusetts over those entering -- was 213,000, and the hemorrhaging has only gotten worse since then. MassINC reported in 2003 that one-fourth of Bay State residents would leave if they had the opportunity to do so. Among those who have lived in Massachusetts for less than 10 years, the proportion is even higher.

What gives? Why don't more people want to move to Massachusetts? Why would so many who are already here -- here in the storied home of Harvard, John Kerry, and the New England Patriots -- be racing for the exits?

We all know the conventional answers: People prefer to live where the weather is warmer, the housing cheaper, the jobs more plentiful. Those are clearly important factors. But a hatred of cold winters doesn't explain New Hampshire's net gain of 78,000 transplanted Massachusetts residents between 1990 and 2002 or the shift of more than 6,000 who have moved to Rhode Island since 1999. Yes, overpriced real estate and a high cost of living are serious issues in Massachusetts. But they are serious issues in California, Florida, Hawaii, and New Jersey, too, yet none of them is losing population. Why is Massachusetts?

As for the sluggish job market that has kept, or driven, so many people away from the Bay State -- there's no denying it's a problem. But focusing on the failure to create more jobs begs the real question: Why aren't they being created? What is it about Massachusetts that keeps employers -- or potential employers -- from taking the risk involved in launching a new enterprise or expanding an old one? Is it always a business issue -- some well-crunched numbers having to do with production capacity or transportation costs or market share? My hunch is that there is often something less concrete but more pervasive at work. I suspect that entrepreneurs frequently decide not to take a chance on Massachusetts for the same reason that young adults, fresh from graduate school and ready to start a career, frequently decide not to take a chance on Massachusetts -- or that men and women in other states, looking to make a new start in a new place, typically decide not to make it in Massachusetts.

I suspect that fewer and fewer people want to call Massachusetts home not because of its oppressive winters but because of its oppressive and demoralizing political culture. In the state that produced Michael S. Dukakis and Sen. Kerry, the concerns of ordinary citizens are so often met with disdain, while the political class lets nothing get in the way of its own appetites and priorities. A state legislature that stays in session year-round? A supreme court that turns same-sex marriage into a constitutional right? Public ''authorities" that answer to no one? In most of America, no way. In Massachusetts, no problem.

On Beacon Hill last week, the big issue for Massachusetts lawmakers was whether tuition should be reduced for illegal aliens at the state's public colleges. On Capitol Hill, the senior senator from Massachusetts was busy implying that Supreme Court nominee Samuel A. Alito Jr. is a racist and a liar. Is it such a stretch to imagine that an awful lot of Americans look at Massachusetts and think: How can people stand to live there? Or that a fair number of Massachusetts residents eventually decide that they can't stand to live here?

This is a state in which a tax cut can be decisively approved by the voters yet never go into effect. In which grocers can be prosecuted for pricing milk too low. In which archaic blue laws decree when shops may and may not open for business. In which a $2 billion Big Dig ends up costing $14 billion. In which Ted Kennedy keeps getting reelected.

Is it really any wonder so many people are fleeing Massachusetts? Maybe the real mystery is why so many of us stay.

Jeff Jacoby's e-mail address is [email protected].  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this supposed to be a surpirse?  

My wife and I are looking forward to our future and will be moving from our beloved home in CT to a more rural area sometime in the forseeable future.  While my wife does not shoot a lot, she's clearly concerned about states that have onerous firearm laws and 2nd ammendment infringments.  So, states like Mass or NJ or NY have been crossed off our list regardless of property value or environments.  

People in Mass are getting sick and tired of the likes of Kennedy, Kerry  and their ilk.  How that they get elected time and time again boggles our minds!  So, they're bailing to the great states of NH, VT, or Me.   Like us, they enjoy the seasons in New England but the politics in Mass are just so bizarre that they are packing up and leaving.  The economy and property values may be a good reasons but the restrictions to our "unalienable rights" has to be right up there with their decisions.  

Rome
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
With regards to gun laws, what state wants a bunch of pansy refugees from Massachusetts who will turn tail and run the next time things get hot? Is it really supposed to work like this? Do these people running away even believe in the Constitution?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
With regards to gun laws, what state wants a bunch of pansy refugees from Massachusetts who will turn tail and run the next time things get hot? Is it really supposed to work like this? Do these people running away even believe in the Constitution?

I defended the Constitution for 8 years.  This state doesn't believe in the Constitution.  Everybody knows this.  Most of this state is comprised of Liberal, pussy, crybabies.  Why the fuck would you want to stay here?  If you haven't noticed the major influx of population over the past few years has been immigrants.  This means with a 75% Liberal local and state government and the majority liberal population to keep them in power, your taxes will increase and your liberties will decrease.

I’m getting to a free state because when the next revolution starts, I don’t want Massachusetts plates on my truck.

ETA: I'm sure Vermont and New Hampshire are going to complain about a bunch of Conservative, gun owning, hard working, tax paying people wanting to take citizenship in their states.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I defended the Constitution for 8 years.  This state doesn't believe in the Constitution.  Everybody knows this.  Most of this state is comprised of Liberal, pussy, crybabies.  Why the fuck would you want to stay here?  If you haven't noticed the major influx of population over the past few years has been immigrants.  This means with a 75% Liberal local and state government and the majority liberal population to keep them in power, your taxes will increase and your liberties will decrease.

I’m getting to a free state because when the next revolution starts, I don’t want Massachusetts plates on my truck.

ETA: I'm sure Vermont and New Hampshire are going to complain about a bunch of Conservative, gun owning, hard working, tax paying people wanting to take citizenship in their states.

I believe that if people run away from their problems, those problems will eventually catch up to them. Keep on running and you will end up with no country at all. There is no such thing as a free state; freedom is a mindset, and if you don't have it, you aren't going to find it by moving to a different patch of dirt.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
sgthoskins,

PLUS ONE.
If all flatlanders fit this description,
we'd welcome them with open arms.

sk
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that if people run away from their problems, those problems will eventually catch up to them. Keep on running and you will end up with no country at all. There is no such thing as a free state; freedom is a mindset, and if you don't have it, you aren't going to find it by moving to a different patch of dirt.

It's a good thing our forefathers didn't think like you do.  What part of minority don't you understand?  The influx in population is Liberal.  I don't want to live in a state where Liberal corruption runs rampant.  You do know that when illegals cross the border they are given directions to Massachusetts by the people they paid to get them across right?  Stay here and stay happy like you sound, but you have to realize Conservative have been and always will be a small minority in this state.  I hope to god you're a member of G.O.A.L.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a good thing our forefathers didn't think like you do.  What part of minority don't you understand?  The influx in population is Liberal.  I don't want to live in a state where Liberal corruption runs rampant.  You do know that when illegals cross the border they are given directions to Massachusetts by the people they paid to get them across right?  Stay here and stay happy like you sound, but you have to realize Conservative have been and always will be a small minority in this state.  I hope to god you're a member of G.O.A.L.

And it's a good thing the indians thought like you do. What shall we do when there is no state left to go? I don't dispute the notion that Massachusetts is pretty much occupied territory at this point. However, I am not going to leave the Bunker Hill monument to the fairies and border-jumpers so that they can piss on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#8]
When the SHTF I'll have room for ya in my home in NH.    Bring your own guns.

I was listening to Michael Graham on the way home and a recent poll said 25% of MA residents would leave if they could.  That's pretty astounding.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Hopefully I'll have enough rounds to get me there in one piece.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully I'll have enough rounds to get me there in one piece.

If not give me the Coords and I'll flank those Libs, I'll hit'em so hard they won't know if they're shit, shot, snakebit, or fucked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wise move.

We'll be glad to have you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If not give me the Coords and I'll flank those Libs, I'll hit'em so hard they won't know if they're shit, shot, snakebit, or fucked.

You best be careful. The people here might throw a rock at you... maybe even try to hit you with a tree branch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You best be careful. The people here might throw a rock at you... maybe even try to hit you with a tree branch.

It's hard to hit someone when they throw with their elbows attached to their hip.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#14]
The only cry babies in this state are conservatives who whine about the politics in the state, then run away to a more sympathic state. If you don't like it change it. there a plenty of people in this state who are willing to listen to an none liberal point of view if one tries to activly ingage them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The only cry babies in this state are conservatives who whine about the politics in the state, then run away to a more sympathic state. If you don't like it change it. there a plenty of people in this state who are willing to listen to an none liberal point of view if one tries to activly ingage them.

Are you out of your fucking mind?  This state has been a Liberal Majority for the past 50 years.  You have about as much of a chance turning this state around as you would moving to France and teaching them how to fight.

And for the record you fucking moron, I've written every state rep that I fall under on everything I felt needed to be changed.  Guess how many replies I've received?  The same as your IQ, ZERO.

This state will NOT change, history has already proven that.

Think before you open your cock holster.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only cry babies in this state are conservatives who whine about the politics in the state, then run away to a more sympathic state. If you don't like it change it. there a plenty of people in this state who are willing to listen to an none liberal point of view if one tries to activly ingage them. hr

Are you out of your fucking mind?  This state has been a Liberal Majority for the past 50 years.  You have about as much of a chance turning this state around as you would moving to France and teaching them how to fight.

And for the record you fucking moron, I've written every state rep that I fall under on everything I felt needed to be changed.  Guess how many replies I've received?  The same as your IQ, ZERO.

This state will NOT change, history has already proven that.

Think before you open your cock holster.

Wow, i feel humbled in your presence. You need some anger managment classes buddy.  I hope you live no wear near me in case you go into a shooting rampage.
Anyway, this state use to have republican senators and congressman. So what happen?hinking.gif

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Good question...what did happen? Its hard to understand how The Swimmer keeps getting elected unless the people in his disrict believe he truely represents their interests. I imagine though its not that simple. Its likely a combination of apathy, ignorance, laziness and the misguided belief that all is good so why change now. In any event it reflects poorly on the electorate. Those w/ any sense and/or love of country usually dont make it that long there.

On a side note I always found it interesting that  MA residents would whine about their gun laws to dealers in NH. I guess they thought the dealer should feel sorry for them and do the deal. It never dawned on them that they could change things if they would put some (considerable) effort into it. In their small view of the world it was better to go to NH and ask a dealer into comit a felony so they could have an otherwise prohibited weapon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wow, i feel humbled in your presence. You need some anger managment classes buddy.  I hope you live no wear near me in case you go into a shooting rampage.
Anyway, this state use to have republican senators and congressman. So what happen?

I see we have our token liberal.  Use a dictionary before you post.  Senators and Congressmen deal with federal laws and federal finance.  The local government is a cest   pool of left wing nut jobs who’s solution to violent crime is to have gun makers install GPS transmitters in our firearms.

You can’t turn people when they are that far out there.  If you think that putting a lo-jack type of device on a gun will stop crime, then I’m not going to convince you to be more conservative.  

Consalvo to Smith & Wesson: It's time to track your guns

And some more logic here.  Residents are complaining about the noise of these little scooters are making so they want to force the dealer that is in the area to move to a commercial/industrial area to sell his scooters.  They think that this will stop kids from bringing them home and riding them in their own neighborhoods.  You see folks, you can’t change people who have no logic to make any type of rational decision.

Residents revved up about minibikes

And we wonder why the rest of the country laughs at this state.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I left 7 years ago and never looked back.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You can’t turn people when they are that far out there.  If you think that putting a lo-jack type of device on a gun will stop crime, then I’m not going to convince you to be more conservative.  

Is it wrong that there is a part of me that hopes they try that? The lo-jack thing, I mean. Those would be very interesting times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyway, this state use to have republican senators and congressman. So what happen?hinking.gif

I see we have our token liberal.  Use a dictionary before you post.  Senators and Congressmen deal with federal laws and federal finance.  The local government is a cest   pool of left wing nut jobs who’s solution to violent crime is to have gun makers install GPS transmitters in our firearms.

Consalvo to Smith & Wesson: It's time to track your guns

And some more logic here.  Residents are complaining about the noise of these little scooters are making so they want to force the dealer that is in the area to move to a commercial/industrial area to sell his scooters.  They think that this will stop kids from bringing them home and riding them in their own neighborhoods.  You see folks, you can’t change people who have no logic to make any type of rational decision.

Residents revved up about minibikes

And we wonder why the rest of the country laughs at this state.

And I guess we have our token conservative. I poor won at that.
Anyway, Mass had a Republican for the last tweleve years. probably not after Nov, but if they presented a good candiate I bet that person would be a shoe in. So I guess Mass is not as bad as one clamied it to be.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
And I guess we have our token conservative. I poor won at that.
Anyway, Mass had a Republican for the last tweleve years. probably not after Nov, but if they presented a good candiate I bet that person would be a shoe in. So I guess Mass is not as bad as one clamied it to be.

A Republican Govenor is useless with the statehouse having 80% Dems.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Vermont took me just fine. I left MA (Leominster) in 2002 and have never looked back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top