Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 9:22:35 AM EDT
news story and pic of the POS

Burlington, Vermont -- January 4, 2005

There was outrage Wednesday when a Vermont judge handed out a 60-day jail sentence to a man who raped a little girl many,many times over a four-year span starting when she was seven.

The judge said he no longer believes in punishment and is more concerned about rehabilitation.

Prosecutors argued that confessed child-rapist Mark Hulett, 34, of Williston deserved at least eight years behind bars for repeatedly raping a littler girl countless times starting when she was seven.

But Judge Edward Cashman disagreed explaining that he no longer believes that punishment works.

"The one message I want to get through is that anger doesn't solve anything. It just corrodes your soul," said Judge Edward Cashman speaking to a packed Burlington courtroom. Most of the on-lookers were related to a young girl who was repeatedly raped by Mark Hulett who was in court to be sentenced.

The sex abuse started when the girl was seven and ended when she was ten. Prosecutors were seeking a sentence of eight to twenty years in prison, in part, as punishment.

"Punishment is a valid purpose," Chittenden Deputy Prosecutor Nicole Andreson argued to Judge Edward Cashman.

"The state recognizes that the court may not agree or subscribe to that method of sentencing but the state does. The state thinks that it is a very important factor for the court to consider," Andreson added.

But Judge Cashman explained that he is more concerned that Hulett receive sex offender treatment as rehabilitation. But under Department of Corrections classification, Hulett is considered a low-risk for re-offense so he does not qualify for in-prison treatment.So the judge sentenced him to just 60 days in prison and then Hulett must complete sex treatment when he gets out or face a possible life sentence.

Judge Cashman also also revealed that he once handed down stiff sentences when he first got on the bench 25 years ago, but he no longer believes in punishment.

"I discovered it accomplishes nothing of value;it doesn't make anything better;it costs us a lot of money; we create a lot of expectation, and we feed on anger,"Cashman explained to the people in the court.

The sentence outraged the victim's family who asked not to be identified.

"I don't like it," the victim's mother,in tears, told Channel 3. "He should pay for what he did to my baby and stop it here. She's not even home with me and he can be home for all this time, and do what he did in my house," she added.

Hulett -- who had been out on bail-- was taken away to start his sentence immediately.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]
 Two Words:  Lynch Mob
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
my thought is burn him alive
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
He shouldn't have even made it to court.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the only time to say I'm ashamed to be a native born Vermonter. I think he should serve the sentance for the poor rapist. Believe me the Govenor is Pissed as is everyone else in this state. I wonder if the Judge would have given the same sentence if it was his 7 year old Daughter, or Grand Daughter! I say one shot one kill!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
We're always getting updates at work for the POSs that live in the area and we may come in contact with.  Seen this guys picture before and I hope that I never encounter him at work.  The judge should be ashamed of himself - makes one wonder why a judge would issue a sentence like that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
My letter to the Governor of Vermont....

Governor Douglas,

My wife and I are simply appalled at the fact you have not moved to have this sorry excuse for a Judge removed at once.  How can you possibly accept his verdict?  Do you have a daughter or grand daughter of your own?  We do sir.  

I live in Pennsylvania so I can not vote to remove you or anyone else who sits ideally by and  does not take immediate action to get rid of this Judge.  What I can do and have done is cancel my vacation plans to Vermont this year.  I can not in good conscious spend my money in a State that would permit a child rapist to be sentenced to 60 days confinement.

The protection of our children MUST be your number one priority.  If I were you I would not physically sleep until Judge Cashman was gone!  I would haul your State Legislature into emergency session and hold each member accountable.  I would publish the names of any legislator who would vote not to impeach and remove this man.  If you don't have the stomach to do what must be done sir, perhaps it's time you step aside and let someone serve as Governor who does.  Until Cashman is gone, Vermont has seen the last of our money.

Regards,
Gary XXXXXXXXX
<address removed by poster>

cc. Christiane Skinner, State of Vermont Tourism Dept
     Jason Aldous, State of Vermont Tourism Dept.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#7]
The parents should be locked up too.  Apparently they allowed this piece of shit to sleep with their daughter.  I don't know about any of you but I sure as hell wouldn't let anybody sleep with my daughter especially looking the way he does!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the response I received from your Speaker's office.  Just thought I'd share it with you.  I take issue with the passive way this matter is being handled.  Plain and simple this Judge should be and must be removed....period.  If his actions don't warrant impeachment...what would...setting the defendant on fire as the bear witness against the monster that raped them?  Get Real!  Why won't this woman take a position?  Let the system work she says....are you nuts!  You are the system and you aren't working!

Dear Mr. and Mrs. <name removed by poster>,

Thank you for your email voicing your concerns on Judge Cashman.  Our
office has gotten a tremendous about of calls and letters on this issue,
so we apologize for our delayed response.

Below is the statement Speaker Gaye Symington made today on Judge
Cashman.  

Again, thank you for your email.
Jill Krowinski

Representative Gaye Symington
Office of the Speaker
115 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05633
(802) 828-2245

For Immediate Release
January 12, 2006

Official Statement by Speaker of the House Gaye Symington

I am outraged by Judge Cashman's recent decision in the Hulett case.
I believe it was insensitive to the victim of this awful crime, her
family, and the community.  What I find particularly troubling is Judge
Cashman's statement that he no longer believes that punishment
accomplishes anything of value in cases like this.  Punishment is and
should be part of the process of determining a sentence.  

Judge Cashman's decision highlights the need to make comprehensive
changes in the way Vermont investigates, classifies, sentences, and
treats dangerous criminals.  We have a failure in our corrections system
if the only way a sex offender is able to receive treatment is when he
is released from prison.  I appreciate that Secretary Mike Smith has now
decided to make an exception in this case, but clearly the system is
broken - we should not have to choose between appropriate punishment and
treatment - and the legislature needs to take actions to fix it.
Clearly, Vermont needs to do more to ensure that children in our
communities are safe from sexual abuse by violent criminals.

The Judiciary Committee began work last session and is continuing to
work towards a comprehensive package of measures that will make our
communities safer, including stronger sentences, special investigative
units, and treatment for offenders.  This legislative session, we will
pass such a comprehensive measure and present it to Governor Douglas for
his signature.

The resolution calling for Judge Cashman's resignation is now in
committee and will be considered in a timely manner.  Let's be clear,
however: for the legislative branch to call for the resignation of a
sitting judge based on a single decision would overstep the limits of
legislative authority and violate the principles of the separation of
powers.
 Vermonters value an independent judiciary.  The Vermont
Constitution establishes a judicial review process known as
"retention," which is used to evaluate a judge's performance
and remove judges when deemed appropriate.  Judge Cashman is up for
retention review next year.  We should let the Constitutional process
work.  
###

Jill Krowinski
Assistant to the Speaker
115 State Street, Drawer 33
Montpelier, VT 05633
Office: 802-828-2245
Fax: 802-828-2220

Let me be clear madam....If I was in Vermont, I'd be campaigning this evening to remove you from office!  You are unfit to lead!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If you lived here, you would have a better understanding of what is going on.

1. You don't just "remove" a judge. Nor do you have an "emergency session" when they are already in session. Both dems and republicans have spoken out against this. With the dems, it seems to be talk for the cameras though...as shown by the speaker's comments. Using the legistlature to toss a judge out because of one decision is a double-edge sword. We all know Cashman screwed up BIG TIME and needs to step aside if he doesn't believe in punishment anymore. I don't want my reps gettin comfortable in tossing out judges...you never know when a pre-RKBA judgement could come down ;)

2. Legal reps are divided on the impeachable offense issue. It would be faster to ask for his resignation...which is what the conservative reps are doing.

3. Gaye Symington is married to one of the Ben&Jerry's honchos, Chuck Lacy. I can't remember if he is still there or not but it would help illustrate her stance on "social issues". She's a flaming liberal moron of the highest order.
http://www.leg.state.vt.us/speaker/

4. Our Governor is squared away...don't worry. Asking the Governor to step down is pretty silly and really doesn't help the issue at hand. He'll get both of these vermin what they deserve. He'll work within in the framework to make sure this doesn't happen again AND do his best to get this guy more time. Remember, the State did not permit this...ONE JUDGE DID. You won't find a person on the street that doesn't want the rapist locked up for life!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#10]

My Reply to the Speaker. If you have kids, you should be writing as well.

Ms Krowinski,

Thank you for your response. I must take exception however to the Speaker's comments. The Legislature has not only the power, but the responsibility to remove Judge Cashman. Such an action is consistent with the Vermont Constitution as I understand it. Here are the relevant sections from the Vermont State Constitution for your review:

IMPEACHMENT
§ 57. [Impeachments, house may order]

The House of Representatives shall have the power to order impeachments, which shall in all cases be by a vote of two-thirds of its members.

§ 58. [Liability to; senate to try; judgment]

Every officer of State, whether judicial or executive, shall be liable to be impeached by the House of Representatives, either when in office or after resignation or removal for mal-administration.

The Senate shall have the sole power of trying and deciding upon all impeachments. When sitting for that purpose, they shall be on oath, or affirmation, and no person shall be convicted, without the concurrence of two-thirds of the members present. Judgment in cases of impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from office and disqualification to hold or enjoy any office of honor, or profit, or trust, under this State. But the person convicted shall, nevertheless, be liable and subject to indictment, trial, judgment, and punishment, according to law

Your alternative is to wait until the heat dies down and then either let this disgraceful human being resign with honor or quietly vote not to retain him? I find that incredibly irresponsible! What do you suppose he'll be doing for the next year? This man has demonstrated beyond a doubt he has no place on the bench. If he will not resign, it is your moral, ethical and yes legal obligation to remove him. How will you personally feel when Mr. Hulett rapes another child? That thought should keep you awake at night.

You are the keepers of the public trust. Do not shrink when we need you the most!

Regards,
Gary <name and address removed by poster>

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Guess you missed my post.

The Governor has CALLED FOR THE JUDGE TO STEP DOWN.

IMPEACHMENT PROCEEDINGS WILL TAKE LONGER THAN ASKING FOR A RESIGNATION.

Writing letters to the likes of Symington is POINTLESS. The dems/progs here have shown they are not really big in doing anything about this. If you lived here, you might understand the political landscape, the players and what is going on.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Perhaps it is pointless as you say to write, but it is far better than simply surrendering to the politics of the landscape.  If nothing else, at least I feel better.  This man won't resign.  He will need to either be removed by impeachment or he'll fail to be retained.  Either way he's through but the damage he's done remains.  The lesson to be taught is to the next "Judge Cashman" out there.  Only through a swift and certain impeachment will the next Cashman sit up and take notice.  It is only through your outrage that this will occur.  Demand an impeachment.  Let those feckless democrates and independents face their constituancies at election time having defended the man who freed a child rapist.  That should play real well at the polls.  All I can do is write letters and boycott your state which is what I have done.  The rest is up to you.  

Good Luck....the Country is watching you.

Regards,
Gary

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:05:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I certainly am in no mood to demand impeacement when he can just step down. Impeachment is pointless if we can just dump him via public outrage.

Rep, Kurt Wright has a non-binding resolution for Cashman to step down in the judiciary committee and some of the libs here are accusing him of "grandstanding". You see, that is whatwe here are up against...not just a single judge but a whole pile of liberal filth aside from the Governor and Lt Governor.

The dems and progs coud care less about this in terms of an election. Most of them support this approach to "justice" to begin with just like they do in your state and other states. I can hardly see how a "boycott" will be anything but harmful to the decent citizens of Vermont...you know, the ones with the low crime rate that walk freely with arms and no permits.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I certainly am in no mood to demand impeacement when he can just step down. Impeachment is pointless if we can just dump him via public outrage.

Rep, Kurt Wright has a non-binding resolution for Cashman to step down in the judiciary committee and some of the libs here are accusing him of "grandstanding". You see, that is whatwe here are up against...not just a single judge but a whole pile of liberal filth aside from the Governor and Lt Governor.

The dems and progs coud care less about this in terms of an election. Most of them support this approach to "justice" to begin with just like they do in your state and other states. I can hardly see how a "boycott" will be anything but harmful to the decent citizens of Vermont...you know, the ones with the low crime rate that walk freely with arms and no permits.

+1 buddy!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Wasn't the Gov waiting to see if he was going to change the sentence before asking him to step down. They were talking about this on the Bill O' Show. In matter of fact the judge was told that Rehab could be started while he was in prison.
In reality what is needed is Jessica's Law. An automatic 20 yrs to life sentence. All states should adopt this. Thinking about this and then looking at the thread about the dealer who sold a AR not legal in CT who could get more time then a molester. All over a evil feature that on a rifle or a name. Something just don't seem right in this world.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

We can agree to disagree then.  I am in the mood to demand his impeachment.  I would not give him the "honor" of a voluntary retirement conveys.  I wish you good luck in your State.  I predict this man will not retire on his own.  Since it is clear that the legislators of Vermont don't feel passionately about this issue then all we on the outside can do is vote with our wallets.  If there is a severe enough impact on tourism due to this situation, trust me, the wheels of justice will run over Cashman in a blazing fury!  He must be removed by any (legal) means necessary.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We can agree to disagree then.  I am in the mood to demand his impeachment.  I would not give him the "honor" a voluntary retirement conveys.  I wish you good luck in your State.  I predict this man will not retire on his own.  Since it is clear that the legislators of Vermont don't feel passionately about this issue then all we on the outside can do is vote with our wallets.  If there is a severe enough impact on tourism due to this situation, trust me, the wheels of justice will run over Cashman in a blazing fury!  He must be removed by any (legal) means necessary.  

Regards,
Gary

Unfortunately the legislature in our state only truely represent Chittenden county.  The rest of Vermont is mostly republican.  Unfortunately the legislature has and was bought by the Dems and Libs that have the finances and resources at there disposal.  The more normal good people that live in Vermont have to work hard for a living because there just isn't alot of work to choose from in this state.  I truely wish that the majority in this state would join together and vote these zealots out of office!  I don't see that happening.  Hopefully something will happen with all of this negative attention we are getting, once again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got done watching one of your state reps,  Michael Kainen, on TV talking about the sentence.  He felt that an appropriate sentence for raping a six year old girl was three years.  What the heck is wrong with some of your people?  I'm use to hearing nutty politicians from Phila trying to tax me to death to pay for insane social welfare programs.  I can understand these hustlers because they are serving the wishes of their lazy ass constituents.  But how many voting child rapists does your state have anyway?  Why does some jackass politician get on national TV and say what this idiot said?  I am simply baffled?  Since when has supporting child rape become a liberal cause celeb?  

Simply unreal....

Gary
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:33:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just got done watching one of your state reps,  Michael Kainen, on TV talking about the sentence.  He felt that an appropriate sentence for raping a six year old girl was three years.  What the heck is wrong with some of your people?  I'm use to hearing nutty politicians from Phila trying to tax me to death to pay for insane social welfare programs.  I can understand these hustlers because they are serving the wishes of their lazy ass constituents.  But how many voting child rapists does your state have anyway?  Why does some jackass politician get on national TV and say what this idiot said?  I am simply baffled?  Since when has supporting child rape become a liberal cause celeb?  

Simply unreal....

Gary

I hear ya man and for those of us that have lived here all our lives and seen these shit bags move into our state and take control is hard to take.  We've been trying to get good Reps in but we can't generate the votes.  We are out moneyed is the way I look at it and like I said earlier, the normal people are too busy working so we can pay our Dam taxes.  So while the libs sit on there asses collecting welfare and unemployment they push their messed up ideas into law while the normal folks are busy working.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I am new here so please pardon me if this comment is out of line...but this incident should have NEVER happened and I believe the ruling is a direct result in the pussified society we are now forced to live in.  I say bring back toys with small parts and lead paint so we can kill off the weak and ignorant before they have a chance to become a judge.  Anyone that inflicts that type of physical and emotional trauma onto a child should suffer ten fold.  Just my opinion...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I happened to catch the VT AG (Sorrell) on OReilly last night. OReilly ate him alive and Mr Sorrell came off looking like an inept wimp. Sorrell kept saying that there was no need for the people to protest this ruling b/c the state had asked the judge to reconsider, VT was a state of laws and all would be OK, nothing to worry about etc. When OReilly pressed him on this he said anyone who protested publically was a vigalante. I thought OReilly was going to bust a gasket! Anyway, it appears that  essentially nothing is being done by the court or legislature to see that the criminal is punished. I know the legislature did craft some sort of action but its stuck in committee. From what I can tell (from hearing state officials talk about the situation) its really no big deal and theyre waiting for it to all blow over.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:00:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I tell ya, if I didn't have family here, I'd be gone in a heart beat.  This state has gone completely to shit.  It's sad to see what it has become.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#23]
and to think I almost to a State Police job there.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I happened to catch the VT AG (Sorrell) on OReilly last night. OReilly ate him alive and Mr Sorrell came off looking like an inept wimp.

He came off that way because that is EXACTLY what he is.

If any of you actually lived here (other than Brother Brushhog), you would see that the POPULUS is indeed outraged by this nonsense. The problem is that nobody will remember ANY of this come re-election time. The sheeple will continue to vote in these no-spine demonrats time and time again...just like they do nationally. Promises of free healthcare, free houses, more welfare and schools made of gold seem to be drawing in more and more idiots.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some of these idiots you see on TV are NOT Vermonters!! They are rejects from Mass, NY and NJ that migrated north. They are the same idiots you have in your state...the same fools your people elect. This is a national trend...not just VT.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Looks like the Judge reversed his position and gave the guy THREE  To I think TWENTY YEARS. Then Life Time Probation...I am sure he is going to get a real good REHAB program in Jail from his cell mates......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top