Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 1:07:31 AM EDT
Alright, I've got some questions on the possibility of obtaining a rifle (G3, M1a, AR, etc...) legally in CT.      I checked Section 53-202a of the General Statutes, and I want to make sure I have this correct.

I am under the impression I can't own any type of Colt AR, is this correct?  What about clones?
If I read this correctly, I can't own a HK91/G3.  Are the various clones covered as well?
Section 53-202a makes mention of the Springfield Armory BM-59.  Does this affect the M1A at all (since they look so similar)?

Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#1]
AR Clones are fine (Bushmaster, Stag, etc.) just make sure it dosn't have the "evil" features. Collapsable Stock, Bayo lug, Threaded barrel (or at least a perm. attached brake) or Grenade Launcher. Your best bet, if your not sure is to buy one over the counter from a reputable dealer.
If you want to build one, go for a 'Post-Ban' upper and make sure the stock is fixed and you'l be fine.

HK clones are good to go as well, but I don't know what's available right now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:11:49 AM EDT
[#2]
You can own Colt Match Targets or LE6920 or any other manufacturer in post ban configuration or any preban non-Colt.
If you want a Colt AR15, Sporter, or M16 it must be a transferable full-auto only registered receiver.
Preban or post ban SA M1As are OK too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can own Colt Match Targets or LE6920 or any other manufacturer in post ban configuration or any preban non-Colt.
If you want a Colt AR15, Sporter, or M16 it must be a transferable full-auto only registered receiver.
Preban or post ban SA M1As are OK too.

You can own a LE6920? You sure?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Timee:

Your question about clones can be summed up this way:

There are three TYPES banned by the 1993 CT law: "Avtomat AK-47" TYPE; "Thompson" TYPE
and "MAC Carbine" TYPE.

Bear in mind there is no legal definition of what constitutes a "TYPE". Under current interpretation by CT State Police an AK TYPE means any firearm resembling an AK, functioning like an AK
and having parts interchangeability with an AK in caliber 7.62x39 ONLY. This means a MAK-90, WASR or SAR-1 is banned and a SAR-2 or 3 is NOT.  

VEPRS are legal, ROMAK-3s are legal

This also means the Khar (Auto Ordnance) "Thomspon" is banned, but the Valkeryie "Grease Gun" clone is not

All other "clones" resembling "ARs" , HK-91s as made by JLD Enterprises or SW-3s for example, are NOT banned. The BM-59 is a model specific ban in the 1993 law, the M-1A is NOT

The rule of thumb is apply the old defunct 1994 Federal Ban "evil features" criteria (minus the hi cap ban) and you are FINE AND DANDY as long as you don't have one of the banned TYPES

You can currently have any clone you want, with high cap mags, as long as you don't have the "evil features" and as long as it isn't one of the three above mentioned TYPES (or any of the specific models banned by the 1993 CT law)

Larger CT Gun Shops like Hoffman's for instance, or Newington Gun Exchange in the Newington, CT area , or K-5 or D'Andrea's in the Fairfield county area sell Bushmaster, Armalite, Rock River, Colt , Stag ,etc. "AR clones" every day. They are all sold in "post fed'94 ban" configuration. Also easy to find are every version of an M-1A minus bayonet lug, the JLD Enterprises version of a the "HK-91" clone, DSA SA-58 "FAL clones", small bore "AK clones" and even belt fed semi-auto conversions of M-1919, MG-34 and M-2 "former machine guns".

My advice would be to buy a good AR or M-1A while you still can.

Join the NRA if you're not already a member; get your CT state pistol permit if you don't already have it and join and support the CT Coalition of Sportsmen at www.ctsportsmen.com and subscribe to Bob Crook's e-mail distribution to be informed of the goings on

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]

You can own a LE6920? You sure?

No he would be absoutley %100 wrong, you cannot buy a 6920 in the state that thier made.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask an FFL, you CAN buy a LE6920 lower and assemble it in postban configuration, they are not marked AR15 or Sporter, it ould just be like buying a Match Target lower. Perfectly legal.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Ask an FFL, you CAN buy a LE6920 lower and assemble it in postban configuration, they are not marked AR15 or Sporter, it ould just be like buying a Match Target lower. Perfectly legal

I didnt think this was right, and did go into K-5 today and ask about it. First off let me say WOW this is not the K-5 I remember,  the guy working in there was a %100 total change from what I remember the first two times I was in, even with about 5 different customers he was totally friendly, and helpfull, and answered all my questions, VERY nice change! and I'll probaly be back.

Anyway he pretty much confirmed what I thought about this. Even if you do buy a lower, its not a preban, so you wouldnt be able to build it in post ban configuration with all the evil features. I really wish it was true as I would be ALL over it in a minute.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Would you like the names of at least 2 other FFLs that would disagree with K5?
Re-read the law and look at the markings on an LE6920.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Would you like the names of at least 2 other FFLs that would disagree with K5?

Yes, I would.

Re-read the law and look at the markings on an LE6920.

I still dont understand. I mean I understand it cant say defender, or sporter or what not, and that the 6920 isnt labled as such, but that doenst change the fact that the lower is not a preban. Wouldnt the lower have to be a preban lower, and not a postban lower??
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I will IM them to you.

The LE6920 would be just another post ban lower that in CT... re-read my first post.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#11]

The LE6920 would be just another post ban lower that in CT... re-read my first post.

If you want a Colt AR15, Sporter, or M16 it must be a transferable full-auto only registered receiver

Sorry not tyring to cause probelms or anything like that, but I'm %99.9 sure thats not right. Im prctically postive you cannot own a 6920 in CT, and as far as other manufacturers in post ban configuration, thats just totally wrong. You can not own a post ban AR with all the evil features in CT, preban, yes, postban, no.

Heres a thread about something similar at Blue Trail Range:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=219393
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I think for ease of mind, I'll pass on getting Colt uppers or lowers.  As far as the "evil" features, I'll make sure any upper or complete rifle I buy (pre or post ban) complies with the permanently attached muzzle break, fixed stock, and no bayonet lug (a grenade launcher though, .... ).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Why does New England have this plague of horribly repulsive and confusing gun laws?  Why?!?

So I can own a Stag AR, as long as it has a fixed stock, no bayonet lug and no threaded flash hider supressor and I can own a PTR91 with a fixed stock, no bayolug or flash hider/supressor.   Crazy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Exactly! The law makes NO sense whatsoever and has proven to be totally 100% ineffective and unrelated to the crime/gun/drug/gang problem plaquing CT cities - (see thread ANTIS TO MEET IN HARTFORD JAN 18)

The legislators who crafted this POS law and it's stupid to enforce it. Dumb laws have been passed before - like the law that says you can shoot someone for stealing froma lobster pot;
ok -  - - I don't recommend anyone actually do that unless they want to go to prison!

The AW law if not repealled should be IGNORED and UNENFORCED as another one of those stupid "oops" BS laws. Enforce the existing laws that matter

We have people getting shot every HOUR on the hour practically in Hartford and we legislators
like Bill Finch (senator from Bridgeport) who want to ban guns, yet stop trying 16 yr olds as adults for serious crimes and let them get off scott free at 18!

Hartford turns into a ghost town at dusk - when all the workers leave (I worked in Hartford for a year) people ram into each other's back bumper trying to flee the city because it isn't safe and yet...... we have state police worrying about whether or not an otherwise legally sold rifle to a law abiding citizen has a f-ing bayonet lug!!!! Yeah - that's tax dollars at work and protecting the public for sure!

It's time to rub this in their faces adn expose the futility and stupidity of "gun control"

Compare the laws to cars - it's like saying you can buy the yellow Ferrari but you can't buy the red one

I think we need some mandatory DRUG SCREENING for law makers! Some of them must be smoking crack because they actually SUPPORT CRIME and CRIMINALS and want to see us lose our freedoms
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Rush,
What aren't you getting, I never said you could own a postban with "evil features".
Only preban "non-Colt" ARs can have evil features.
Or
Postbans from ANY manufacturer with "postban, non-evil" features... Colt Match Targets and LE6920 lowers would fall in this category as long as they DO NOT have "evil features", you CAN own them as long as they DO NOT have bayo lugs, flash hiders, or collapsible stocks.

Having said that I am NOT an FFL nor claim to be. Go ask a reputable FFL about the law... not K5 or Hoffman's. They just want to sell you something off of their shelves.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Ask Newington Gun Exchange. They know their stuff. If you call the State Police they will give you a run around.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Rag, sorry I did in fact not understand what you were saying the first time. I see what you mean now about the 6920 lower, you can get it, and build it without the evil features just becasue it doesnt have the defender or sporter name on it. So my next AR will definitey be either a Busmaster, or Armalite preban 16" with all the evil features on it. I currently own a Colt 6700.
It still amazes me how much cheaper the real Colt rifles get every where except for the starte that their made in.

I think I'll take my first trip up to Newington Gun Exchange tomorrow, hope its worth the trip, I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Is a norinco model 320 uzi carbine legal?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Newington Gun Exchange has been the most helpful to me since I have been out of the military/ Ask for Jeff re any state law questions that you have, he is very knowledgeable and does not make you feel like you are bothering him!

Anyone know where to shoot an M4 in the Central CT Area (for free)

Thanks In Advancehug.gif
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 for NGX

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Here is the CT definition. Read it carefully.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition. (a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

Sec. 53-202m. Circumstances when assault weapons exempt from limitations on transfers and registration requirements. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

If this dosn't clear it up, nothing will! (j/k)  

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#22]
In other words, Pre-Ban (Ie. Prior to 9-13-94), is only applicable to the 'generic' definition and not to any of the firearms specifically mentioned by name.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#23]

We know that!
Thank you though.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

We know that!
Thank you though.

I posted it for the benefit of the original poster...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I know, just bustin'

It seems everyone has their own interpretation of that though... including the state police.
Maybe we should put all of our energy into repealing it rather than trying to interpret it
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I know, just bustin'

It seems everyone has their own interpretation of that though... including the state police.
Maybe we should put all of our energy into repealing it rather than trying to interpret it

110% agreed!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#27]
And the BEST place to start is next Wednesday, the 18th at 4:00 pm at the Lyceum Conference Center in Hartford on 227 Lawrence St.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a couple true "Pre-Bans" for sale if anybody is interested.

Olympic M4 style $975 and a Bushmaster Dissipator $1500

John Ferris of c3tactical.com is up to date on his laws and he also has a couple prebans for sale.

He is in Torrington.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have a couple true "Pre-Bans" for sale if anybody is interested.

Olympic M4 style $975 and a Bushmaster Dissipator $1500

John Ferris of c3tactical.com is up to date on his laws and he also has a couple prebans for sale.

He is in Torrington.

Oh holy hell.... Would you be willing to part out the lowers on either of them?

Is the Oly Arms lower forged?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#30]
why do you want just a lower?

The Dissipator is definitely a NO! This is a complete rifle that shipped as a complete rifle and hasn't been screwed with as far as I can tell.

The Olympics maybe, but you probably won't like the price.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I wanted to build a no-ban CMP rifle, and dissys have 16" barrels. That's a no - go.
If I were to spend money on a rifle, and then spend money to either buy a totally new upper, or upgrade the current one, I'll be left with extra components, and extra cost.

That said, contact me at [email protected]

I am still interested in the Bushmaster, but it won't remain as a dissy if I were to get it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I was just curious if it is legal to purchase a ar pre-ban lower that may have not been a complete rifle when it left the factory in Ct?????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top