Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 10:26:39 AM EDT
I live in NYS, and want to know if AR-15 type rifles of any mfr are a no-no in CT.

I know there is a AWB  ban in both our states, but in NY, as long as the rifle only has 2 out of three offending items, or is mfr'd before 9/04, it is ok.

My understanding in CT is that there is a specific list of banned rifles, and the "two- out-three" deal, or "grandfathered" status does not cut it.  Would like to visit Blue Trail again, but not be in violation of the law.  Can someone let me know if my basic summary re CT is correct?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If your AR-style rifle is legal in NYS, it is legal in CT, providing it is not a Colt AR15 or Colt Sporter.

We have the same feature count as the former Fed-AWB (like NY) and any AR-type built after 9/94 must not have more than 1 of the evil features.  Pre 9/94 assault weapons are grandfathered, as long as they are not Colt AR15s or Sporters.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Racer: thanks for the reply.  

I thought the count was not more than 2----most of us have the pistol grip and detachable mags, but to be "post ban" compliant, the rifles do not have bayo lugs and use either nothing on the muzzle, or use a muzzle break, as opposed to a flash hider. . .
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
To have the part (feature) count applied to a rifle, it had to be semi-auto with a detach mag.  The detach mag is not an evil feature.

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Racer: ok, so this sounds promising--except for the Colt AR's, CT has the same deal we have in NYS.  So I guess I can bring my non-Colt AR's up to the Nutmeg State.   BTW, have you ever seen any checking or enforcement of AR's at ranges?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW - I have never heard or experienced anyone (ROs or LEOs) working at a range check serial numbers or challenge the legality of rifles brought to any range I have been to.

If your non-Colt ARs are in a post-ban config, you have nothing to worry about or hide.  If your non-Colt ARs are in a pre-ban config, be sure of their date of manufacture.  Plenty of pre-bans around here and no one bats an eye.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Racer: both my non Colts are post ban configured.  I had a gunsmith cut off the bayo lug on one of the uppers as it came configured "pre-ban", and he also but on a muzzle brake and removed the birdcage flash hider.  Although it is actually threaded, he said because he pinned the mb, it is considered a "post ban" configuration.  

Blue Trail: how fast do they consider "rapid fire"?  I was last up there about three years ago---took my LFI-I course up there in '96 also.

Thanks again for enlightening me!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't been to Blue Trail in years.  I haven't been back due to lack of safety protocols followed by other shooters and enforced by the lax RO.

Black Rifle friendly ranges include Wooster Mountain in Danbury and High Rock in Naugatuck.  Both are probably closer for a New Yorker to get to than Blue Trail.

Check your IM.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:31:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
High Rock in Naugatuck.

I'll give a +1 to High Rock.  Great bunch of guys running it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top