Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 9:55:01 PM EDT
I know there are complications to transferring handguns (only pre-10/98 with a letter stating the firearm's manufactured date) into MA from other states, but can someone explain the laws reagarding longguns.  A while ago, I wanted to transfer a Colt AR15 into MA and the dealer said no Colts AR15s are allowed into the state, only bushmaster AR15s.  Is there a law stating only certain brand longguns can be shipped here?  I thought any rifle could be shipped here but i guess it matters if its an assault rifle or not.  The reason i am asking is because i wanted to purchase a Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 and I do no want to run into any problems.  Thanks guys and stay safe.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#1]
MA still has an assault weapons ban, so the Colt you tried to transfer must not have been a pre-ban gun.  It has nothing to do with a manufacturer - only the date the gun was made and the number of assault weapon qualifiers.  In other words, you can (and I have) legally transfer a pre-ban Colt AR into MA or purchase a new Post Ban Colt or Bushmaster, etc. AR in MA.  Just avoid the goofy dealer who gave you this incorrect information.  

The Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 can be transferred into MA, as long as it is shipped with the 10 round magazine.  New (post AWB) hi-cap mags are also banned in MA, but you can posses a pre-ban hi-cap mag assuming you have a Class A LTC.  In other words, if you have a MA Class A LTC you can buy the SOCOM with a 10 round mag and then buy some pre-ban mags from any dealer.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your help CFFUTS23

rob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top