Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 3:29:44 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

I was hoping that one of you Maine residents could help me out. As a non-resident, is it legal for me to have an unloaded rifle in the trunk of my car in Maine? I just scanned packing.org and the wording is a little ambiguous, and doesn't mention unloaded rifles at all.

I realize that Maine doesn't recognize my NH pistol permit, but I am hopeful that I can legally transport rifles to Maine shooting ranges.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]
According to the Lewiston Chief of Police, it is legal for a non-resident to have an unloaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle.  I had the same question a few years back and my mother-in-law works with the Chief so we called him up and asked him.  

For a more reassuring confirmation check out the  NRA Site on ME where it states that you would be legal as long as the gun was unloaded (pistol or rifle/shotgun).  The ME law does not differentiate between residents or non-residents.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Shouldnt be an issue - I'm a new New Hampshire resident............as a Maine resident I often carried an AK, AR, or FAL in my truck - so long as its not loaded lol - Game Wardens are highly suspicious - just keep i t unloaded and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Obviously, keep it unloaded.  If you have it hidden in the trunk, behind the seat, etc, (CONCEALED) make sure it's in a case.  Or, you can leave it exposed  - sitting on the seat or in a gun rack, etc.  Outside of Portland, it's pretty common, especially in the Fall - around hunting seasons.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, this is great news.

My trunk gun will go back into my car for trips to Maine then.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I realize that Maine doesn't recognize my NH pistol permit, but I am hopeful that I can legally transport rifles to Maine shooting ranges.

Thanks in advance.

Get yourself a ME Non-Resident carry permit - you can do it all by mail.  $60 for four years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top