Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 2:12:26 PM EDT
The Mrs. and I are going to Boston this Saturday.  We want to visit Faneuil Hall and the USS Constitution.  We plan to get to Fanueil Hall by 10:00 AM and then be at the USS Constitution around 2:30 or 3:00 PM.  Where should we park?  Should we use the subway? We are driving from Connecticut.

TIA,

Different
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
A local may give you better advice, but you can find the Alewife T-station pretty easily,
which has a huge parking garage and is right off the highway before you really get into
Boston.

From there take the Redline to Park Street.  This is a decent stop if you want to
walk through Boston Common to get to Fanueil Hall.  If you guys aren't so much
into walking, take the next subway to Government Center.  This will get you as
close as you can get to Fanueil Hall by T.

If you can take the elevator to the top of the John Hancock building, that is a nice
view of Boston, not sure if they allow this after 911 anymore.

They also have Boston Duck tours, using a WW2 duck, goes in water and land around
Boston.  This is over $30 a pop the last time I checked though.

www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedules_subway_redline.asp
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, Sir!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Take the Mass Pike to Storrow Dr, follow Storrow Dr to the Goverment Center exit.  Follow that road in until it comes to a T and bang a right.  There is a parking garage there for $7.  You will be two blocks from Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall.  From Quincy Market the Aquarium and the Boston Cruises are another two blocks away.

If you look at this map, Goverment Center is to the north east of Storrow Dr.
maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Storrow+Drive,+Boston,+MA

It's pretty easy, I'm sure you can do the same thing from 93 north, but this has always worked very well for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#4]
When I drive up 93 into Boston, I get off on the Gov't center exit prior to storrow. I think it is currently #23. At the top of the ramp, the North end italian Neighborhood will bo to your right. Cut through to Atlantic Ave which runs around most of the periphery of the neighborhood. There are multiple lots and garages there. All within walking distance to Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall, freedom trail, etc.  

On the way out there are signs to 93 right off Atlantic when it's time to go home.

Good luck,

Blitz
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Take ED_P's advice and park at Alewife.

Don't drive into the city if you want to get
anywhere on time. This is coming from
someone who used to commute to the city
daily.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Only problem with the Alewife suggestion is that he has to go North of the City to get there. Remember he's coming from CT (South), not NH (North)!

Don't know if you are coming in on I-95 or I-90 from CT, so I'll give you two different suggestions:

- If coming up from I-95, take I-93 towards Boston and at the Rte 3 Split (Boston-North, Cape Cod-South), take the Southbound road and get off at the first exit (~1/4 mile from the split), bear left and then right . . . into the MBTA ("T") garage for the Red Line into Boston. The parking here should be $2.50 and the T cost approx the same inbound and 1/2 that on the way back. Take the Red Line into Park Street and you'll come out across from the State House and 2 blocks from Fanuiel Hall.

- If coming from the West (I-90, aka Mass Tnpk), you should be able to "shoot into Downtown Boston" and then look for the garages as someone already suggested.

Have a good time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only problem with the Alewife suggestion is that he has to go North of the City to get there. Remember he's coming from CT (South), not NH (North)!

If coming from the Mass Pike, park on the street in Newton Centre and take the Green Line into town.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
We're coming from Hartford so I'm thinking I-90 will be easier.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Different, Ed-P gave you a good suggestion but you might also consider Government Center as a parking place. It's about a block from where you'd like to be.  Alewife will be cheaper but GC will be close, too.  

Parking in Beantown is a tragedy.  They want the tourists but darned if they don't make it very difficult to "pak your car".  

You could also simply drive to "Riverside" off the Mass Pike. The cost for a full day in the commuter lot is under $5.  Then, take the "T" into the city and jump on the Greenline into Government Center.  It would save you a lot of hassle finding a parking site.  I do this all the time when I visit my son in Boston.  I hate traveling past the Prudential Center.

Rome
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Cabinetman, where is "Riverside" off the Massachusetts Turnpike?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:12:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cabinetman, where is "Riverside" off the Massachusetts Turnpike?

Take the pike to the 95/128 exit tolls.  Then take 128 south to the first exit.  It will say Riverside T station on the exit, follow the exit until you come to the T in the road, then bang a right.  The T station will be about 1/4 mile down on your left, right across from the golf course.

Takeing the Green line in to goverment center is probably the easiest way, keep in mind the trip on the T will take about 30-40 minutes to goverment center.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of parking along Commercial Street - do you have a military ID (active or retired)??? You might be able to park for free at the US Coast Guard base at 427 Commercial Street.....not 100% on that but I "think" you can.  Otherwise Parking ranges from $7-$15 per day - finding a garage or parking lot shouldnt be a problem.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]

If you like, you might also want to walk the Freedom Trial.  A lot of interesting stuff along there.

A great way to find your way around is the MBTA Trip Planner.

Enjoy your stay!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for all the input.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Mrs. and I are going to Boston this Saturday.  We want to visit Faneuil Hall and the USS Constitution.  We plan to get to Fanueil Hall by 10:00 AM and then be at the USS Constitution around 2:30 or 3:00 PM.  Where should we park?  Should we use the subway? We are driving from Connecticut.

TIA,

Different

Park at the Aquarium.  There is a big parking garage there.  If you go in the aquarium they validate parking.  Easy Walking distance to Faneuil Hall and the North End.  Ask directions when your feet are on the ground there.  You'll hit the North End first.  

Now, to get to the Constitution, the beauty is there is a commuter boat from the Aquarium to the Constitution.  Last time I went it was $1 per person.  I think it runs evey 30 mins.  This is the commuter boat operated by the T, not the harbor tour boats which I think some stop at the same place, but go on to St George's Island.  There is also whale watch boats so pay attention.  This boat is mnuch smaller than the rest.  Also, it's not the big catarmaran to hull or the airport.

Otherwise, IMHO Constitution to Faneuil Hall is not walkable.  Actually, it is, but it's kinda long.  Have to cross a bridge and there is a shady housing complex near the Constitution.   So take the boat.  It leaves you right there in front.  Plus, you get a little scenic 5 minute ride.  For one buck you can't go wrong.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Take ED_P's advice and park at Alewife.

Don't drive into the city if you want to get
anywhere on time. This is coming from
someone who used to commute to the city
daily.

No way.  It's easy unless you're, well we won't go there.  It's right off 93.  Park at the aquarium.  Check there website for directions.  Alewife is way out of it and you have to deal with the annoying T.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top