Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 1:40:44 PM EDT

I've been in the process of figuring out which 9mm AR or AR system I want to buy/build, and I figured since all those ancient sten mags are so cheap, they'd be the best bet, considering the magazines are pretty much all pre-94, and thefore legal here in MA.

However, when I hit the big surplus house websites (ie Tapco), I keep seeing "cannot ship to MA" plastered all over, despite it being perfectly legal.

(I could buy a colt pattern 9mm AR, but the mags will be like $70 each!)

Is there some new law I don't know  about, or are these big businesses just too lazy to figure out the specifics and therefore just don't bother to do business with MA.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Find a friend in surrounding states.

I may or may not have willingly said that....stupid gun laws
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]

these big businesses just too lazy to figure out the specifics and therefore just don't bother to do business with MA.

Bingo!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Not exactly, a few years ago the AG ran a "sting" operation. He had his staff phone/Internet/Mail order ammo, knives, etc. with no questions asked. Thus ~12 out-of-state dealers got threats of lawsuits and quickly signed "consent decrees" swearing that they would never do business in MA again.

Then the AG did a big media splash about the "illegal sales into MA" and declared (unilaterally) that ALL ammo/mag/component sales into MA were illegal.

As much as I hate the AG, these dealers should have insisted on a copy of our LTC before shipping these items. They didn't and the AG's actions scared off 90% of the out-of-state dealers.

And now you know the rest of the story!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]

I belive visiting an out of sate gun show would not be violating any state laws, as long as I made sure I got mil surplus mags, not new manufacture, which would guarantee beyond any shadow of a doubt pre-94 manufacture.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I belive visiting an out of sate gun show would not be violating any state laws, as long as I made sure I got mil surplus mags, not new manufacture, which would guarantee beyond any shadow of a doubt pre-94 manufacture.

I know what you are trying to say, but "mil surp" is no guarantee of when something was made (unless the product went obsolete pre 9/13/94). Out of state dealers have been known to sell new hi-caps as "pre-ban" to unsuspecting customers. One just needs to be vigilant!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what you are trying to say, but "mil surp" is no guarantee of when something was made (unless the product went obsolete pre 9/13/94). Out of state dealers have been known to sell new hi-caps as "pre-ban" to unsuspecting customers. One just needs to be vigilant!

I'm pretty sure nobody is issueing the sten any more =)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is there some new law I don't know  about, or are these big businesses just too lazy to figure out the specifics and therefore just don't bother to do business with MA.

Nope.  +1 on AG having too much time on his hands.

I know a few ended up paying fines, but that might have been for ammo sales into MA.

Find a friend in RI/NH, etc.

Actually...brownells still ships to MA, now that I think about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Soonest and closest gunshow for you is in Concord, NH, Labor Day weekend.  www.dipromo.com.
No sales tax up here either as you know.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Soonest and closest gunshow for you is in Concord, NH, Labor Day weekend.  www.dipromo.com.
No sales tax up here either as you know.

I went to the last one.  It wasn't bad, got a case of 3131 at a comparable price to online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top