Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:09:48 PM EDT
Does anyone have an idea of how to get some information on which towns are friendly to citizen ownership of class III?

I have my FFL C&R BTW
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Best advice is to contact GOAL, www.goal.org, 508-393-5333.

They would probably know. My guess is West of I-495 you'd stand a much better chance of getting a Class 3 license.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Len - unfortunately, I am currently in eastern MA

I have tried to see the chief LEO on this - no problem with issuing my C&R or renewal of my high cap LTC but he was formerly on the Brookline PD

we shall see - I will give GOAL a call
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
This is extremely difficult information to obtain since CLEOs don't want this information advertised.  Your best bet is to setup a meeting with your CLEO (or a town that you are interested in moving to) and have a frank discussion.  Tell him you are a collector, you will have everything locked in a safe, won't be shooting it and that you are responsible, etc.  Ask him what he thinks, what he would like you to do to make him comfortable with a signoff.  

I've only had experience in two towns, Westboro and Holden.  Both Chief's were very accomodating and Sherrill from Holden went out of his way to help me.  In both instances, I setup hour long discussions to talk about the subject, before I went in for my signature.  I believe this, getting dressed up and looking responsible will help.

Town info based on friends:
Shrewsbury: no way.
Worcester:  a handful have been given, but you need to have help / know someone
Northboro:  possible, although Chief requires an alarm system that is monitored and will notifiy police if there is a break in so you will have to invest some $$
Sterling & Rutland: yes, I have friends that were approved
Watham: I was told no way, but I know some people that got green cards (ex Pats football player that you may have heard of.... )

The farther west you go, the higher the liklihood of success.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for that information - I can add to the list:

Littleton - Good

Grafton - Good

Upton - Good

N. Attleboro - Good

Stow - Good

Ayer - Good

I say good because I have club memebers (Harvard Sportsmen Club) who are all class III owners who got and/or renewed green cards in those towns.

I have the prerequisites: alarm system, safe, C&R, ex-military, and many refernces in LE and State gov but its still up to the chief
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you for that information - I can add to the list:

Littleton - Good

Grafton - Good

Upton - Good

N. Attleboro - Good

Stow - Good

Ayer - Good

I say good because I have club memebers (Harvard Sportsmen Club) who are all class III owners who got and/or renewed green cards in those towns.

I have the prerequisites: alarm system, safe, C&R, ex-military, and many refernces in LE and State gov but its still up to the chief

Northborough also good. I know of two Class III holders in town. New chief, orig. from CT,  issues all LTCs as LTC-A ALP. Requires alarms and safe storage for Class III.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If you get your Class 3 as a LLC or Trust you DO NOT need a CLEO signoff.

Check the M16 Forum and SBR tacked thread for more info about LLC and Trust.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can go the corporate route in MA.  The corp route will satisfy the Feds, but the MGLs require a green card for possession.  The only way to a green card (for non-LEOs) is a green card.  

Can anyone confirm this?  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#8]
That is what I have heard - time to go on line to check. I was not planning on going that route...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I know some folks in MA have a LLC in NH and store their FA toys in NH, shoot them there too. One of them told me that no way would he ever bring them down to MA under any circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Not to hijack the thread too much, but I've lived in NH for about one month now and I'm so happy with the move in so many ways.

- With regard to class 3, my CLEO is happy to sign and gave the dealer a 'thumbs-up'
- My license to carry cost $10 and was deliverd to my house two days after I applied
- Buying a gun is as easy as showing a driver's license and handing over the cash

Not to mention that my car insurance was cut in half - after I increased the coverage!  No sales tax (everyday!) and the list can go on and on......

Bottom line:  if you live in MA, have an interest in guns then you have to make the move to NH.  No arrogant CLEOs to deal with, no CLEO regs for safes, alarms, etc. - personal resonsibility rules in NH.  Just don't bring your lib friends with you.....

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I only wish I could

unfortunately, I need those masshole dollars!

so, hopefully, the chief will see it my way
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread too much, but I've lived in NH for about one month now and I'm so happy with the move in so many ways.

- With regard to class 3, my CLEO is happy to sign and gave the dealer a 'thumbs-up'
- My license to carry cost $10 and was deliverd to my house two days after I applied
- Buying a gun is as easy as showing a driver's license and handing over the cash

Not to mention that my car insurance was cut in half - after I increased the coverage!  No sales tax (everyday!) and the list can go on and on......

Bottom line:  if you live in MA, have an interest in guns then you have to make the move to NH.  No arrogant CLEOs to deal with, no CLEO regs for safes, alarms, etc. - personal resonsibility rules in NH.  Just don't bring your lib friends with you.....

You are a gun owner, so you're obviously a conservative too

It warms my heart to see conservative ex-Mass residents 'escape' and make NH their home. That being said, it burns me up when liberal families move up from MA and then start moving our state to the left-particularly in elections. Our beloved granite state used to be one of the most conservative in the union-but not anymore
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll do my best to bring NH back to it's conservative groups.  I'll lie and tell any liberals that I run across that NH sucks and continue to encourage my fellow conservatives to keep coming and keep voting.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#14]
NH is the pilot for the free state project?

Any one know is that going?

I lived in the upper valley for a few years - you don't have to sell me on the place! I miss it

no jobs though - thus I am stuck in masshole hell

hopefully my company will see the wisdom in building a new plant in some place like Texas! in the meantime - time will tell...

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:12:58 AM EDT
[#15]
More info on the Free State Project.  On the right hand side, there is a link "101 Reasons".  It sold me on the benefits of NH and hopefully all those new residents will stomp out the libs in the next election.

Texas is also a great state - I spent six years there - but it is hot as hell in the summer and the mosquitoes are as big as birds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#16]
i lived in methuen,ma and had an uncle with classIII ...as for my move to salem ,nh  ...i love it only 6 miles from where i used to live....but a world away...i only found out about the FSP after i moved sadly enough...unfortunately the liberal c-suckers drove gov. benson out who was a supporterof the FSP...watch out in '08 people...i'm trying to talk to my local rep. about a state law that would require license showing at the polls...i swear there was voter fraud in '04 in NH ...when a bleeder asks meabout NH i always start with the schools and how they are mostly local-state funded ...it usually turns them of right away...later...chris

Quoted:
More info on the Free State Project.  On the right hand side, there is a link "101 Reasons".  It sold me on the benefits of NH and hopefully all those new residents will stomp out the libs in the next election.

Texas is also a great state - I spent six years there - but it is hot as hell in the summer and the mosquitoes are as big as birds.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd love to move to NH. I'm sick of being a masshole
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top