Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 10:40:12 AM EDT
I may be forced to move to CT for job related reasons.  I will bring my pistols with me.  As I understand it, it is not illegal in CT to own/possess pistols without a permit in your house, but if I wanted to bring them out of my house or buy one in CT,  I would need a permit.  In other words, if I bought a house in CT,  then moved my pistols which I bought/own in NH into it, I could never take them out again without a permit.  Is this correct?

I also understand the wonderful state of CT only allows face to face sales of body armor.  This being the case, what shops sell this item in the Hartford area?  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I just got my carry permit a couple months ago and the instructor said that you are allowed to have a pistol in your home or business for protection without having a permit but if one wanted to take the pistol to the range, you'd need  a permit  Of course, ct residents who dont have permit cant get a pistol for their home or business. A loophole would seem to be the situation youre in where you are moving from another state to ct. I dont remember what the instructor said regarding transporting pistols you dont have permits for when your destination is your new home, however.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I may be forced to move to CT for job related reasons.  I will bring my pistols with me.  As I understand it, it is not illegal in CT to own/possess pistols without a permit in your house, but if I wanted to bring them out of my house or buy one in CT,  I would need a permit.  In other words, if I bought a house in CT,  then moved my pistols which I bought/own in NH into it, I could never take them out again without a permit.  Is this correct?

Correct.

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I also understand the wonderful state of CT only allows face to face sales of body armor.  This being the case, what shops sell this item in the Hartford area?  

That is true.

Of the top of my head, I am not sure who sells b/a in the area.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
if you have time, get the CT permit now as a non-resident. It'll save you $35 and will also be less hassle and all you'd need to do when you moved is to go to DPS  and change your address.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you do not have a Pistol Permit you need and "Eligibility Cirtificate" (Sec.29-36f) to keep your handguns in your home.  The criteria to get an Eligibility Cirtificate is the same as a carry permit so you should just get the regular Pistol Permit.  There is also a list of misdemeanors that will make you inelligible to get a permit or own a handgun in CT.  If you have a restraining order against you, you can't own a gun. If you have a fight with your wife and someone calls the cops they take your guns with them when they leave.  This happened to a friend of mine and it took over a year for him to get them back.  If you do something to make you inelligible to own a handgun you have 48 hours to get rid of your guns.  If you die and your wife doesn't have a pistol permit or eligibility cirtificate she has 48 hours to get rid of your guns, although I have never heard of a widow getting arrested for this.  Don't even think of bringing a pre-ban into the state along with a list of other so called assault weapons.  

On the plus side it's not that difficult to get a permit if you're clean.  Some of police departments like the big cities may give you a run around by setting inconvient hours to pick up an application or get finger printed, or requiring things like letters of reference which is not required by state law.

Then there's the taxes and high cost of real estate.  It must be a good job to leave NH and move to CT.

This is not true at all.  An eligibility certificate is only needed to purchase pistols.  You may keep pistols in your home without any license or certificate what-so-ever.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is not true at all.  An eligibility certificate is only needed to purchase pistols.  You may keep pistols in your home without any license or certificate what-so-ever.

+1.

There is no requirement to have a Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers or Elibility Cert to possess a handgun in CT.

Transporting it outside some limited circumstances (to and from home/business or FFL or within your household goods when moving) one needs to have a permit.

To purchase, one must have either a Permit or Elibility Cert.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't know about the body Armor.  I order mine from Galls mail order, no problems, but as I worked in private security with an armed group, they didnt give me any hassle.  At my current job, I am armed with PR-24 and no firearm, but they still let us wear body armor, and will pay half, up to $375, for us.  We usually have one of the police supply places come in and fit us ro we go to them for the measuring.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't know about the body Armor.  I order mine from Galls mail order, no problems, but as I worked in private security with an armed group, they didnt give me any hassle.  At my current job, I am armed with PR-24 and no firearm, but they still let us wear body armor, and will pay half, up to $375, for us.  We usually have one of the police supply places come in and fit us ro we go to them for the measuring.  

Sec. 53-341b. Sale or delivery of body armor restricted. (a) No person, firm or corporation shall sell or deliver body armor to another person unless the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the sale or delivery.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the sale or delivery of body armor to a sworn member or authorized official of an organized local police department or of the Division of State Police within the Department of Public Safety, to an authorized official of a municipality or the Department of Administrative Services that purchases body armor on behalf of an organized local police department or said Division of State Police or to a member of the National Guard or the armed forces reserve.

(c) As used in this section, "body armor" means any material designed to be worn on the body and to provide bullet penetration resistance.

(d) Any person, firm or corporation that violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

(P.A. 98-127, S. 2.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top