Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2004 5:16:24 PM EDT
How does the MA law effect custom pistols?  Is a 80% frame pistol legal or do I have to pay to have it tested for saftey?  What about personaly built ones, with parts from different manufactures?

Am I lucky enough to legal own this should I win?

http://www.tnkfk.com/1911/

Or does MA realy just suck?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Your link is for a Colt pistol. NO Colt pistols are on the MA approved list, and thus it is illegal to transfer into the state (dealers are prohibited from transfering/selling it to MA residents). [Mfr must submit for testing and approval. Cost is very high to do this (probably $10-20K per model + destroying 5 new guns for testing) and takes lots of months. Most mfrs have "kissed off" MA and won't bother gettting their products certified for sale here.]

The List:
www.mass.gov/eops/publications/approved_roster.pdf

You CAN buy a frame and do the transfer at a MA FFL LEGALLY (under MA law it is NOT a gun, so the List doesn't apply) and just do the Fed 4473 (Feds treat the frame as a gun). Then you or a gunsmith can build it up as you like. NO FA-10 is required under these circumstances and NO testing/approval is required.

Problem is that I am only aware of 2 dealers in MA who will "import" frames for customers. All the rest are totally paranoid and won't do it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the transfer of the frame done by an FFL for federal reasons?

Does this only apply to the 80% frame or all frames?  The obvious idea is that I can have the frame of a banned pistol imported then build the pistol.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not familiar with Fed requirements on 80% frames. If they require 4473, then you need an FFL for transfer. If not, it's a hunk of steel and have a blast.

Fed law requires frames (which are the gun, per Fed law) to be FFL transfers.

Yes, you can buy one of the "MA-illegal" frames in MA legally (since MA does NOT recognize the frame as a "gun"), build your own non-compliant gun. No MA FFL will ever be able to sell it in MA or do a MA transfer, but you can own it and do a private transfer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not familiar with Fed requirements on 80% frames. If they require 4473, then you need an FFL for transfer. If not, it's a hunk of steel and have a blast.

An 80% or less frame does not require any federal transfer.

mark
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Problem is that I am only aware of 2 dealers in MA who will "import" frames for customers. All the rest are totally paranoid and won't do it.

Hey LenS who are the two dealers in MA? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
So it is actually possible for me to have a spring XD by assembling it myself?

If so, then at what point is the frame considered a firearm.  Say, can I purchase the frame(assembled), then purchase the slide/barrle complete , or all separate?

It is somewhat amazing that the AG has gone through all this trouble and left a somewhat simple loop hole.

I'd also like to thank you for being just so damned knowledgeable.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think that the AG is aware of the loophole. As soon as it comes to their attention, you can bet that they will slam it shut. It's all in the MA definition of firearm/gun vs. Fed definition for same. [MA "firearm" under Ch. 140 is ONLY a complete handgun. Fed definition of "firearm" is the frame of any gun. MA has to be different by creating their own definitions. . . once in a while it bites them in the ass.]

So it becomes a "gun" once it is totally assembled. You can buy any sort of assembly you'd like to assemble a whole gun with.

NOTE: Problem is that we KNOW that moles for the AG and CHSB frequent eLists and forums looking for tidbits that they can use to nail us. So posting names of dealers who COMPLY with the letter of the law is NOT in our best interest.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
LenS, I respect you concerns about posting names on the board, maybe you could email me the info. I live on the north shore.
I bought a RIA 1911A1 5" and added a beavertail grip safety, commander hammer, trigger, King sights and wolff spring.
I wanted to try building a commander from the frame up.
OBTW I have put over 1200 rounds thought the RIA with maybe 4-5 FTF (new mag problems).
Thanks anyway Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top