Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 8:39:10 AM EDT
When a Class A permit is issued, does that info become part of the public record ?   Can someone find out if someone else has a permit ?   Or is that info kept private ?

Thanks for all your assistance.................
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It is available on one of the computer screens that the police access when doing a query on a person. Thus it is available to anyone in law enforcement.

It is "supposed to be kept confidential", however I know of one chief who released the list of all LTC holders to opposing counsel (illegal act) in a court case against the chief for failure to issue a LTC (court upheld "chief's discretion" although person involved was spotless and a "townie").

Since the MA RMV allows insurance companies to have their people "sit" in the RMV offices and allows access to their driver database, I am unsure (and untrusting) if these folks can access LTC info (it is all an inter-operable computer system, but restrictions can be set in place if they want to do it). Since the insurance folks sell/give client (medical and credit at least) info to large national databases, again I am totally non-trusting . . . but there is nothing we as mere citizens can do about it.

A side note: I would NOT trust the MA Criminal History Systems Board (aka Firearms Review Board) in keeping any info confidential! Likewise in a Chicago against gun mfrs case, a judge allowed the City of Chicago to get info on all gun purchases and purchasers (I guess from 4473 ATF forms) anywhere in the US! Memory on this is a bit fuzzy, so I don't recall the details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top