Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 4:23:51 PM EDT
i was wondering if any one has any information on the CT AWB. im looking at the colt leo 6920 law enforcement carbine, and would like to get one. for me to get one, would i need a special permit/ license to own one. i have also herd and i quote "Just out of curiousity, what does it say on the side of the lower. I live in CT and all of the Colt pre-bans are banned by name "AR-15, Sporter and Sporter II" are the names banned. If it didnt say any of those, they should be CT legal. Thanks in advance!" and the responce was "These rifles only say Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine." and: "Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine" is correct. Does not say AR15, Sporter or Sporter II. Marked 5.56 and has an LE-prefix serial number. Excellent rifles.

does this mean it is legal in CT, and if not do i need someting special bs license or permit for it....

thank you so much for your help with this!!

happy shooting!

bbr.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
If a gun in ct has more than 3 evil features it is an "asaualt weapon" and you can not have it in ct.Law enforcement has some kind of loop hole.Pre 1984 guns are allowed if they are not listed by name (colt sporter ect).There was a grace period when one could "register" an asault weapon but it is passed and those "registered" guns can only be owned by the person who registered it,sold out of state, or handed down to direct desendent.
If you aren't a cop forget the colt 6920
If you don't have a father or mother with a "regisitered"aw start looking for a pre-ban non colt.
It also needs to have been a complete gun before 1984.not just a pile of parts.
No permit or license to be had,a gun meets the test and is legal ,or it isn't.
The only benifit we got with the sunset is magazines and hopefully the value/cost of "pre-ban" guns will drop as demand drops in most other states.
I believe this is the case but only play a lawyer on the internet,so any one else chime in with additions or corrections
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If the Colt was made after 9/13/94 and meets the evil feature checklist, it is an assault weapon and cannot be possesed in CT.

If the Colt was made prior to 9/14/94, is not labled an "AR15" or "Sporter" and meets the evil feature checklist, it is an assault weapon but is not subject to registration ot transfer restrictions.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=184683

Take a look at the CT AWB FAQ.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The grandfather clause is interesting...

It doesn't say that the firearm must have been a complete AW before 94, just "manufactured" before that date...

I don't think you have to worry about a non-verifiable brand.

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top