Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 6:33:15 AM EDT
Hey!

I'm in town (Worcester) for a few weeks.  Need a member of the club for access to the range. Anybody a member? I'm looking for a range in this area that doesn't charge $90.00 bucks an hour to use (short on funds this trip). Probably be myself and two other people. Planning on this Sunday (weather permitting).

Thanks,

ARMLT15
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:56:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Contact GOAL, 508-393-5333 and ask for a "referral" to someone from a local club. Explain that you are a "traveling gun owner" and they will probably hook you up.

Back in the late 1970s, I took a job with Yankee Atomic Electric Company and they assigned me to Yankee Rowe nuclear power plant (RIP!). I spent 6 full weeks out there during the Summer and contacted GOAL for a referral. Met up with some real nice guys from Franklin County Sportsman's Club and went shooting skeet and pistol on a few nights each week. Helped kill the boredom, and I wasn't charged a dime for range use (only paid for rounds of skeet like everyone else).

I live in Eastern MA, but have many times invited folks to shoot with me at the clubs I belonged to. No range fees involved, they just shoot as a guest and as long as they abide by the club's safety rules there are no problems.

Just be aware that under MA laws, nobody can legally bring a gun into MA unless:
- It is for an "organized match" (plinking doesn't count), gun show, etc. OR
- They have a NR MA LTC (FYI: there is no such thing as a NR FID), OR
- Exempt as LE or military under the narrow exemption that still exists in the law (law changed significantly in 1998).

Reality is that nobody will hassle someone unless they do something that raises suspicion or concern, but that is the current state of the MA <anti>gun laws. Nothing in our laws prevent you from borrowing the use of a gun from a MA licensed person while at the range. They are responsible for the gun and your behavior (true at most clubs anyway) while you possess the gun. Not usually a big deal, as many of us gladly let others shoot our toys.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey!

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I didn't bring any toys of my own. I figured there would be a hassle (permits, etc). Most of the people I know out here have LTC's and firearms. Won't be a problem having something to shoot.  I also have the option to go to a range in Manchester, NH. Worse case scenario, I'll go up to Maine and "do up" some lobsters! Keep my mind off of shooting for a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top