Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2004 4:52:33 PM EDT
hey all
i want to get a cheapo yugo sks.  question is, can i put a flash hider on it, and removable mags?  It already has a bayonet lug...... I don't see why not considering it was made WELL before the ban.....I think the ones most people have were sitting in cosmoline for like 30-40 years.  Just want to know if it would be considered an AW if i have more than 2 "deadly features"
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The Yugo is legal in CT.

However, adding a detach mag does negate its C&R status and it can be prohibited by the Import Ban (Fed).
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#2]
i had no idea they were governed under curiosity and relics.....

evn tho, i still wouldnt be able to mod one up?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC, it's the fixed mag which keeps it out of the AW definition under CT law and the now-defunct Fed law.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#4]
yea but even if it was made before the ban? i mean, most of the sks's out there are older than i am!  Wouldn't they be exempt because they were made before teh ban?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.

(a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini- AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK- 93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the
       following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two
           of  the following:
         (i) A folding or telescoping stock;
         (ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
         (iii) A bayonet mount;
         (iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
         (v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
          two of the following:
           (i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
           (ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward
                      handgrip or silencer;
           (iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that
                permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
           (iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
           (v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
         (i) A folding or telescoping stock;
         (ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
         (iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
         (iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.
(P.A. 93-306, S. 1; P.A. 01-130, S. 1.)
____________________________________________________________________________________

IIRC, CT law makes no provision for Curio and Relic status, as the Federal law did.

Under CT law, Section a(3)(A) would be applicable except for the fact that the SKS, as originally designed, has a "fixed magazine".  Even though the mag opens up, it does not "detach" by the simple hand action of the user, it must be "removed" with tools.

Since it does not have a "detachable magazine", the "and two additional  features"
phrase does not apply, even though some SKSs do have two of the cited features, for example, the grenade launcher and the bayo in the case of the Yugos.

Under subsection a(4), therefore, it appears that if you are merely in possession of an after-market "detachable mag" for an SKS, you have now qualified any SKS that you own to be subject to the definition of an "assault weapon" under a(3)(A). Have two more features, such as the grenade launcher and the bayo on the Yugos, and you have one.  

Best not to go there until we are able to get this inane law off the books.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:27:27 AM EDT
[#6]
The CT ban differs SIGNIFICANTLY in the wording of the grandfather clause.  One could easily argue that the wording of the exemption in the state ban could allow for the modification of SKSs and other older firearms, simply because the law says "provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to Sept13th, 1994", rather then the federal law which said "Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection."

Just food for thought.  The ATF rulings in regards to transfering stripped AR15 lowers, and all that other shit are completely null and void when discussing state law.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#7]
i checked with newington gun exchange.....it is totally legal, in fact they have seen em.  they dont recomend swapping in removables because they mostly suck in function though........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top