Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2003 2:27:21 PM EDT
If the ban sunsets, does Massachusetts have its own AWB like New York?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes we do. It passed along with the changes in the
LTC and FID card revamp. (in 98?)
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
drat.  Well, thanks for letting me know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If the AWB sunsets, would it be illegal to buy new production hi-cap mags at a gunshow in New Hampshire and bring them back to Mass?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I really don't know. I will see if the law says anything about the mag ban.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
No, you can buy whatever pre-ban mags you'd like and bring them to MA. You can also buy them in MA. You need an LTC-A for handgun/rifle/shotgun large cap mags or LTC-B for rifle/shotgun (but NOT handgun) large capacity mags.

Thus, if the AWB sunsets, all mags are treated as pre-ban in MA.

NOTE: Only exception is for Boston residents, they must have a special Boston-issued permit for anything high cap and I don't know their rules. This does NOT affect visitors who live in "freer" towns/cities in PRM.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Text of the state law that defines an assault weapon: www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/140-121.htm. Note references to 18 USC 921(a)(30) and specific models banned by name. If the federal ban lifts, count on the MGC to make whatever modifications it feels necessary to maintain the status quo or tighten restrictions.

Text of the Boston AQ law which was passed in 1989 (before the federal AWB): www.goal.org/MGL/boston.aw.html

JScott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top