Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2003 6:43:19 AM EDT
I was wondering if anyone had any refrences to what NFA items are legal in MA... Specifically, can I do a Form 1 for a SBR? Also, I assume AOWs are OK, but want to check...

Looks like to do MGs you need to be a "bona fide" collector of firearms... What the hell does that mean!?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:23:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link, but this info, atleast for MA, is old... I know that MA no longer issues green cards for MGs... There where law changes in 1998, and the state no longer issues any licenses, except non-resident CCW/LTC...

--Donald
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link, but this info, atleast for MA, is old... I know that MA no longer issues green cards for MGs... There where law changes in 1998, and the state no longer issues any licenses, except non-resident CCW/LTC...

--Donald

Are you 100% sure about no more MG licenses?????
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#4]
There are still MG licenses, but are issued by local chiefs of police. And they are only supposed to be issued to people that train military/police or to "bona fide" firearms collectors...

I'm mostly interesed in SBRs... I want a Kitty Kat! HEHE
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would suggest you are wrong about MA (or city) not issuing green cards...
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would suggest you are wrong about MA (or city) not issuing green cards...

I would have to agree it can be difficult to aquire but not impossible. Only a non resident? hmmm I tend to doubt but would not be to suprised call GOAL they may have a better answer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Semantic problem... The state only issues non-resident CCW/LTC these days. Local chiefs of police issue resident CCW/LTC and MG licensees. According to the current statute, MG licenses are only supposed to be issued to instructors to law enforcement/military or to "bona fide" firearms collectors...

I can't find any info, for or against, about other sorts of NFA items in MA. I may just call my local chief and see if he will sign a form for a SBR...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]
More info on machine guns in MA... Found this link to the Mass General Law http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm

That is the part of the law regarding LTCs and such. If you scroll to the bottom, the last half page or so regards machine guns.

(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to:

(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;

(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license.

(p) The executive director of the criminal history systems board shall promulgate regulations in accordance with chapter 30A to establish criteria for persons who shall be classified as bona fide collectors of firearms.

(q) Nothing in this section shall authorize the purchase, possession or transfer of any weapon, ammunition or feeding device that is, or in such manner that is, prohibited by state or federal law.

(r) The secretary of the executive office of public safety or his designee may promulgate regulations to carry out the purposes of this section.

Still can't find any info on other sorts of NFA items...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if "bona fide collector" was ever really defined...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, "bona-fide collector" has been defined in the CMRs (Code of Mass Regulations). Detailed info can be found in the "Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law" by Chief Ron Glidden and sold by Mass Police Institute (an arm of the Mass Chiefs of Police Assn). It is a book used by MCJTC to train officers on firearms law and runs ~300 pages. www.masschiefs.org/MPI/Manuals/mpi_manuals.html

Briefly, anyone who has a C&R FFL is by definition a "bona-fide collector". "Green Card" is still discretionary and I know of some chiefs who will NOT issue them.

Since Ron Glidden is a friend of mine (also he's an active shooter, hunter and believer in RKBA), I asked him about the NFA stuff. The only thing he is sure of is that "sawed off shotguns" are illegal, but he didn't sound 100% positive that everything else was legal. Not being an NFA person myself, I don't track the NFA laws either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a friend ask him about AOW's and he said AOW's were not legal either...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top