Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2003 1:37:05 PM EDT
I've read and re-read every one of CTs gun laws. From what I can see, you may not own a preban rifle unless you have it in the state before the state ban, and you registered it with your local PD.

From what I've heard on this board, you may own a preban, as long as it is not a Colt preban.

Which is true? Please take the time to get it right - I don't want to make a mistake and violate any laws for my first AR, much less any other gun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've read and re-read every one of CTs gun laws. From what I can see, you may not own a preban rifle unless you have it in the state before the state ban, and you registered it with your local PD.

From what I've heard on this board, you may own a preban, as long as it is not a Colt preban.

Which is true? Please take the time to get it right - I don't want to make a mistake and violate any laws for my first AR, much less any other gun.

You may own a Preban AR, as long as it's not a "Colt AR-15".

However, when the national ban sunsets, YOU CAN NOT ADD EVIL FEATURES TO YOUR POSTBAN WEAPONS.

If you're interested in clearification or a long explaination let me know.

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Realfast is correct! No Colt AR15's, Sporters or SP1's unless they were registered prior to the CT law... UNLESS it's a full-auto only conversion , then you can purchase a preban Colt and bring it into state!

Otherwise, any other preban manufacturer is legal, if it's not an AR, just make sure it's not on CT's Assault weapon List.

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Realfast, I now know that you may buy a new preban ( eg. Bushmaster ) and bring it into CT, but I am interested in the clarification. I just want all the details down so I don't accidentally violate a law.

You guys have made me happy. I'll have a Guiness waiting for ya' at Perry of 2004!

Now I can get one with evil features! YES!
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Find a preban, if its out state, your FFL will need to send a copy of his license(if you need one let me know), the seller will ship it to him, he'll do the appropriate paperwork for you for a fee (~$25-$30), then walk out the door. It's that simple, if you try and do something "illegal", the FFL will set you straight (they don't want to go to jail).

If its in state, and NOT a Colt, just do a private sale.

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The Clearification is really just about the National Ban sunset and how it won't effect us in CT.  

CT has an assault weapons feature ban that is identical to the National one, so that when the national one sunsets, you still won't be able to buy or make new "Assault Weapons" without being in violation of the State Law.  However, the price of Pre94 weapons will be the same or less then new ones anyways, since like 45 out of the other 50 states dont have any such laws.  The other catch is that the State DPS / State Police sites don't even MENTION the feature ban at all, only the list of specifically banned firearms.  You have to look up the CT Statute to find the feature ban with the Sept-94 exemption.  

My bet is that the state legislature will try to ban the transfer of Pre94s in the next year.

Heres the list of firearms banned by name:
Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70
Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83
MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet. Now I'm considering an M-16A2 rep. ( Bushmaster pre ban ), totally macked out with all the goodies after my first AR ( RRA ).

At least prebans are legal. I guess there is still some sunlight left after all.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope that M16A2 your ordering is three round burst only.  Select fire is a no no in CT.  I was talking to one range master who was bitching that he couldn't get a M16A1, yet a browning 50 cal was CT legal.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I think he was talking about just a Semi M16A2 configured AR15, but your point is definitely worth noting. Select fire is a no-no.

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
That is correct. I really wish to have a semi-auto only M-16A2 clone thingy. Macked out, you know? Bayonet lug, A2 flashhider, 1:7 twist chrome lined 20" A2 profile barrel with 5.56 chamber...

I took a look over to the Full-Auto board, and they told me that in CT, you may only own a semi/full auto. Makes no sense, but that's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That is correct. I really wish to have a semi-auto only M-16A2 clone thingy. Macked out, you know? Bayonet lug, A2 flashhider, 1:7 twist chrome lined 20" A2 profile barrel with 5.56 chamber...

I took a look over to the Full-Auto board, and they told me that in CT, you may only own a semi/full auto. Makes no sense, but that's just the way it is.

Right, because the CT Assault Weapons ban applys to anything that is Select Fire, or on the above list.  If you want an M16, you just have to modify it so that it only shoots full auto (no semi), or only shoots burst (no semi).

Do it for the children... [>Q]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Just for shit and giggles, who is the sorry sonuvabitch that passed CTs gun legislation? It makes no sense, and I think I want to dump him/her in a giant vat of cosmoline just because of it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#12]
He "can" get a M16A1, just switch the selector to one that only allows full-auto... That's what I did!

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#13]
What good is an M-16 if it mimicks an M-3A1 Greasegun?

M-16s should be select fire. I can't have it any other way.

Which is why I'm getting out of this state!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What good is an M-16 if it mimicks an M-3A1 Greasegun?

M-16s should be select fire. I can't have it any other way.

Which is why I'm getting out of this state!

Move way north "young man"!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I totally agree that it should be select-fire, but if comes down to FA only or NO FA like they originally intended I will take FA only! Besides most people fire machine guns in FA anyway and not semi, and if/when you/I move out of state, simply buy a select fire selector and your back in business.

Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I totally agree that it should be select-fire, but if comes down to FA only or NO FA like they originally intended I will take FA only! Besides most people fire machine guns in FA anyway and not semi, and if/when you/I move out of state, simply buy a select fire selector and your back in business.

I see only 1 solution to this problem.

Buy a PreBan AR15A2, AND an M16A2.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I'll stick to the AR-15A2.

Any suggestions as to which model/make I should look for? I heard that the old Bushmaster prebans are good, as well as Essential Arms prebans.

Any places besides Guns America that would likely have them?

Which CT retailers carry pre bans most of the time? I know them all, but most carry postbans only.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just for shit and giggles, who is the sorry sonuvabitch that passed CTs gun legislation? It makes no sense, and I think I want to dump him/her in a giant vat of cosmoline just because of it.

The main culprit still in office is Rep. Mike Lawlor from North Haven, I believe.  He is chair on the Judiciary committee where many of the bills originate.  

The other moron is former state senator George Jepsen, who thankfully lost when running for Lt. Governor.  But, not to worry, I'm sure there are many more willing to jump in & take his place.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Unfortunately any CT dealer will over charge by at least a few hundred $$$ for a preban, Gunsamerica will work (may be pricy), sturmgewehr.com, or the best is probably the EE (equipment exchange) here!

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I think I am going to write that Lawlor fool a little E-mail, just to see if he really is as stupid as I think he is.

Don't worry. I'll figure it out - found a $900 Essential Arms preban ( with all the A2 goodies ) on gunsamerica.com. I still want to buy it from a store, just so I can see it before I buy.

Did the old preban Bushmaster XM-15E2S rifles have 1:7 twists, or 1:9?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#21]
1/9 twist

Please use caution when attempting to educate a politician! If they had brains we wouldn't be talking about prebans in CT right now, sometimes its better to keep things quiet.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Good point... In that case, I'll keep quiet until they start up their antics again.

Damn. The only friggin pre-bans with 1:7 chrome barrels as standard are Colts, but they are banned.

OK. I have several choices as to which brand, Colt, RRA, and Armalite not included... I can choose:
-Bushmaster
-Essential Arms
-Olympic Arms

They are relatively easy to find in a pre ban configuration, but not so for the 20" models. The hell of it is, is that I really don't want to have to get a carbine, and retrofit the whole damn thing.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Good point... In that case, I'll keep quiet until they start up their antics again.

Damn. The only friggin pre-bans with 1:7 chrome barrels as standard are Colts, but they are banned.

OK. I have several choices as to which brand, Colt, RRA, and Armalite not included... I can choose:
-Bushmaster
-Essential Arms
-Olympic Arms

They are relatively easy to find in a pre ban configuration, but not so for the 20" models. The hell of it is, is that I really don't want to have to get a carbine, and retrofit the whole damn thing.

Any suggestions?

Getting a preban lower and plugging whatever upper you want is not a big deal at all.  Just a thought.

As far as the preban thing... there is a specific explicit exemption for pre-94 weapons, so I don't think it's really something that "snuck" by anybody.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know. I don't have any tools needed to assemble an AR CORRECTLY, nor do I know the torque settings for most of the things that need to be tightened down ( barrel, and the barrel, oh yes, and the barrel too ).

'specific explicit exemption'? Now what did I miss?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I think Realfast was referring to changing the complete upper (receiver, barrel and all)... no tools necessary just push pins, or I'm sure you could find a local gunsmith to do just a barrel change for you... ask at your local gunstore.
You'll find a way.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#26]
DAMN right I will.

I want this, 'non-milspec AR-15' myth thrown out the window. An M-16 clone is what I want, and an M-16 clone is what I shall make.

Do any of you have a rifle, or want one, similar to what I'm thinking of?

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm waiting on a transfer for a Colt M16A1 carbine, that's about as mil-spec as I will get.
Check www.sawlesales.com for Colt factory parts, I believe they have the 1/7 twist you're looking for!

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks rag, but the damn site is not working for me... Strange.

Colt M-16A1 carbine? You know that I now hate you, yes yes?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Sorry, I left a space when I typed it!
Try:

www.sawlesales.com

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#30]
DAAAAMN. They have everything! I guess all I need to do is buy a preban AR and rebarrel it. Pretty damn easy if you ask me!

The thing is, that site does not specify if some parts are pre/post ban. That is a little hard to figure out.

I WOULD get a Colt, but for one, they are illegal in pre ban ( YESSSS - just nailed a colony of fruitfuies that were hovering near my monitor... ) form in CT, and two, they don't use STD. trigger pins.

Non-mil-spec my ass. Just wait until this baby is finished. It'll be the same thing as taking an M-16A2 itself and removing the burst feature. Totally beastly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Go with a Bushy, they're probably as mil-spec as you can get.

Link Posted: 11/23/2003 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#32]
What are the gunshops in CT that commonly stock pre ban Bushmasters?

Regarding barrel life with M855 ammo, how many rounds can I run down the tube before it wears down? Military reports have shown as little as 1,000 rounds can deteriorate accuracy, but this is with burst-fire-capable rifles.

And regarding the finish, I believe Colt uses a different finish on their rifles than Bushmaster. It seems to be a dark gray finish, as opposed to the 'purple-tint' one of the Bushmaster. When all assembled, I'm thinking of getting it refinished in case the color of parts do not match up. I want this thing to look like a newly issued M-16A2, not a worn out one.

And does the military allow for heavy duty extractors and springs? Just wondering.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top