Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2003 9:34:55 PM EDT
I want to get a Springfield 1911 for a prize for a shoot in Connecticut I run.  The problem is I get some Mass. shooters.  If they win the gun can it be legaly transfered to them?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Only if the actual gun in question was physically in Mass prior to 1998 and that fact is documented, the reason being that for the gun to be tranferred to a Mass resident, it must pass though a Mass FFL, and Mass dealers are forbidden from transferring any handgun to a resident that does not meet both the AG's requirements and is also present on the state roster of approved firearms. The Springfield meets neither standard.  How about an SW1911 instead? That would work.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Well you could bring it into the state. Not sure if the gun would "work". :)
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If the frame is sent to a dealer and the slide is geven directly to the winner, than the gun can legally be obtained in MA...

Dealers cannot sell a complete working gun witht he rules you mention.  Just a frame does not meet the requirements, so it is wide open.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If the frame is sent to a dealer and the slide is geven directly to the winner, than the gun can legally be obtained in MA...

Dealers cannot sell a complete working gun witht he rules you mention.  Just a frame does not meet the requirements, so it is wide open.

You are correct. If you know of a MA dealer who is willing to do that, I would love to know who it is, as it would open up the possibilities for getting another 1911. Most dealers are "risk averse" to put it neutrally, and won't do that, even though it is technically legal.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Information has been sent via email.

mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top